Watching Deals and Sales On Oceania Cruises for Sport

Sthrngary

3 hours ago, WildWanderers said:

... When I booked a PH1 on Turkish Ovation (on the Vista, departing July 23, 2024) on June 26, 2023.... In roll calls there has been a lot of speculation about whether the Turkish ports will be cancelled as they were on other 2024 cruises, but this has not as yet happened.  Not sure that it would make sense to still call it Turkish Ovation if you stuff the Turkey portion, so to speak.

I was on the same cruise as Southern Gary and did the B2B off Riviera that brought us back to Istanbul the next weekend. So 4 days and 2 nights there.

For very inexpensive transportation in Istanbul, there is a metro station just outside Galata Port on the main street there running WEST (e.g., to Old Constantinople, across the Golden Horn to Hagai Sophia) and EAST (e.g., new Dolmabahçe Palace). You will find a kiosk there that lets you buy and load an Istanbul card for public transportation. Single trips on the metro were TL15 or about 55 cents.

We took the metro west to the big stop on the west of the bridge crossing the Golden Horn. 15TL. Then took #38 bus (from the bus station right across the Golden Horn, north of the metro stop) to the Old Walls about 4 miles out. Again, TL15. We walked a Rick Steves old city neighborhoods route back about 2 or so miles. Then took the metro back to the port. Again, just another TL15. So that was 45 TL each for us or total of 90TL. Was 28TL=$1 then. Now around 31.60TL

1 hour ago, MEFIowa said:

I was on the same cruise as Southern Gary and did the B2B off Riviera that brought us back to Istanbul the next weekend. So 4 days and 2 nights there.

For very inexpensive transportation in Istanbul, there is a metro station just outside Galata Port on the main street there running WEST (e.g., to Old Constantinople, across the Golden Horn to Hagai Sophia) and EAST (e.g., new Dolmabahçe Palace). You will find a kiosk there that lets you buy and load an Istanbul card for public transportation. Single trips on the metro were TL15 or about 55 cents.

We took the metro west to the big stop on the west of the bridge crossing the Golden Horn. 15TL. Then took #38 bus (from the bus station right across the Golden Horn, north of the metro stop) to the Old Walls about 4 miles out. Again, TL15. We walked a Rick Steves old city neighborhoods route back about 2 or so miles. Then took the metro back to the port. Again, just another TL15. So that was 45 TL each for us or total of 90TL. Was 28TL=$1 then. Now around 31.60TL

Some people find it more convenient to take a taxi than travel on the metro or bus in the unfamiliar city. To each their own…

19 minutes ago, osandomir said:

Some people find it more convenient to take a taxi than travel on the metro or bus in the unfamiliar city. To each their own…

As I clearly said, "For very inexpensive transportation in Istanbul". Public transportation there is quite amazing for tourists who want to use it. And Rick Steves' guide to Istanbul gives you some great walking tours on both sides of the Golden Horn. We did one each on both sides.

This was in comparison to what Southern Gary said, "The Manger of the stand said the Taxi Driver would take us to the Bazar, stay with us and bring us back for $60."

I spoke with someone who paid $100 for his taxi trip to the old walls. We paid TL90 or a bit over $3.00 total for the 2 of us.

And we WALKED from the ship across the Golden Horn to Hagia Sophia, the Blue Mosque and the Spice Market. You can walk to the Bazaar on a nice day.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, Sthrngary said:

@WildWanderers Hello Greg.  We were in Istanbul in November on an Oceania Cruise.  I accidently found a very good experience.  When you get to the pier, go outside, a taxi stand is there.  We want to go to the Grand Bazar which I DO NOT recommend, it was crowded and uncomfortable.  Back to my story.  The Manger of the stand said the Taxi Driver would take us to the Bazar, stay with us and bring us back for $60.  I thought it was a scam but it was not.  He spent four hours with us and I gave him a total of $100.00 for the four of us.  The next day, I found the same driver and he took us to the the blue M and then on a ferry to see both sides of Istanbul.  I gave him another $100.00.  Just my opinion and experience.  FYI Only

Cruise well and enjoy every moment.

Hi back to Gary, 

I am glad that you had a good experience with an Istanbul taxi driver.  We visited Istanbul for a couple of weeks in the spring of 2019, and found the taxi drivers booked for us by our hotel to be great, but every time we tried to hire a cab to get back to the hotel, the cab driver angrily waved us off, often the distance was not enough to be worth his while.  OK the distance was not always huge, but it was quite uphill.  I would have offered him more to make it worth his while but we really couldn't communicate, and it would have been hard to calm him down with my lack of Turkish.

When you can find a driver for the day, they are gold.

Cheers,

Greg

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, MEFIowa said:

Hi @MEFIowa,

Thanks for the reminder about the transit system.  Very useful.  I may still have our transit cards from our stay in Istanbul in 2019.  We will stay in Beyoglu after our cruise for a couple of weeks, and can walk down a very steep hill to get to the trams.  We take the transit system to higher up on the hill when we go back to the hotel so that we can walk downhill both coming and going.

Our hotel is on a street with restaurants, and antique and other shops.  In 2019 we were shocked at how inexpensive everything was except for fish and wine.

The exchange rate for buying Turkish lira with Canadian dollars is even more shockingly favourable now that it was in 2019.

Cheers from Greg of the WildWanderers.

15 hours ago, WildWanderers said:

... Thanks for the reminder about the transit system.  Very useful.  I may still have our transit cards from our stay in Istanbul in 2019. ... In 2019 we were shocked at how inexpensive everything was except for fish and wine. The exchange rate for buying Turkish lira with Canadian dollars is even more shockingly favourable now that it was in 2019....

Though when I compared prices in TL for the underground cistern tour and the Raki hard liquor in the Jan 2021 Rick Steves' guide to Istanbul, prices have skyrocketed:

- Basilica Cistern Jan 2021: 20 TL ($1)

- Basilica Cistern Nov 2023: 450 TL ($16)

And that inflation includes the double whammy of a seriously declining currency. Took about 19TL to the $ in late 2022, but was at 28TL to the $ in Nov 2023 and is now over 31.50 TL to the $ today. So they raise prices due to inflation just in TL and raise them again due to a declining TL to foreign currencies. Turkey has to import so much.

• 3 weeks later...

@Daniel A I did not want to continue to talk about Oceania on the NCL Board.  Your last focus was on the drink package.  I also always get or upgrade to the Full Drink Package.  The now pricing on Oceania it includes an Amenities Package called "SimplyMore".  That includes Wine, Champagne and Beer at Lunch and Dinner meals. For $30.00 per day per guest, you can gain the Full Unlimited Drink Package with spirits.  All me also to add, you are allowed to bring both Wine and Spirits onboard (Usually 6 bottles per port).  

So for example, when I am in Italy, I get two bottles of really nice Italian wine for my wife to have in the stateroom.  Also, you can ask your Butler (other server) to bring you a drink or wine to your stateroom.  We never did that, and always had wine from the ports is the reason why.  

I also felt like the Oceania Penthouse was equal to the a NCL Haven Penthouse Suite in the Haven Proper.  Also included are soft drinks replenished daily based on what you like.  

Again, you can ask me any question.  

• Thanks 1

52 minutes ago, Sthrngary said:

@Daniel A I did not want to continue to talk about Oceania on the NCL Board.  Your last focus was on the drink package.  I also always get or upgrade to the Full Drink Package.  The now pricing on Oceania it includes an Amenities Package called "SimplyMore".  That includes Wine, Champagne and Beer at Lunch and Dinner meals. For $30.00 per day per guest, you can gain the Full Unlimited Drink Package with spirits.  All me also to add, you are allowed to bring both Wine and Spirits onboard (Usually 6 bottles per port).  

So for example, when I am in Italy, I get two bottles of really nice Italian wine for my wife to have in the stateroom.  Also, you can ask your Butler (other server) to bring you a drink or wine to your stateroom.  We never did that, and always had wine from the ports is the reason why.  

I also felt like the Oceania Penthouse was equal to the a NCL Haven Penthouse Suite in the Haven Proper.  Also included are soft drinks replenished daily based on what you like.  

Again, you can ask me any question.  

We got the full drink package for our cruise.  It looks like a nice ship, but I am reluctant to sail on small ships.  I did a Viking River Cruise and found the size of the crew made a significant difference in availability of amenities.  DW liked it, I got bored.  I'm hoping this doesn't happen with O.  We aren't show people, but we do like some variety in places to relax with a drink.  Also, I've never been to Bermuda before and it doesn't appear to offer much in the way of daytime distractions but I'll survive.  😊

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Daniel A said:

We got the full drink package for our cruise....

Just remember that you can bring on ALL the beer, hard liquor and wine you want at embarkation and at any ports. Have some fun trying to find something interesting in a local grocery store, liquor store or wine ship. I had a blast finding wonderful inexpensive Greek, Serbian and Spanish brandy in the Med on Riviera 10-11/2023. And all the different inexpensive beers! (Just drink you own beer and hard liquor in your cabin/on your veranda. Though you can pay a $25 corkage fee to drink your own wine in their restaurants.)

And make sure to take advantage of the Captain's Party and, if there is one, any Newbies Party. That is up to two nights of free booze!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

There is no comparison to a river ship... They really are completely different beasts.  You'll find no lack of alternatives even on the "small" R-Class ship and a seemingly much higher crew-to-passenger ratio.  680 passengers vs. 180.  375 crew vs. 53.   I don't know the displacements for the river ships, but going by their relative sizes, I'd estimate the R-Class to be at least 10 times the displacement.  River cruising certainly has its' place, but it just doesn't compare with ocean cruising as far as the experience itself.

It amazes me that given all the better bang-for-your-buck (bigger cabins, hugely better dining options, more services, entertainment, etc., etc.)  that Viking typically commands as high or higher price for their river cruises than their ocean cruises.  I guess it really is all about what the market will bear...

9 minutes ago, NewSalty said:

There is no comparison to a river ship... They really are completely different beasts.  You'll find no lack of alternatives even on the "small" R-Class ship and a seemingly much higher crew-to-passenger ratio.  680 passengers vs. 180.  375 crew vs. 53.   I don't know the displacements for the river ships, but going by their relative sizes, I'd estimate the R-Class to be at least 10 times the displacement.  River cruising certainly has its' place, but it just doesn't compare with ocean cruising as far as the experience itself.

It amazes me that given all the better bang-for-your-buck (bigger cabins, hugely better dining options, more services, entertainment, etc., etc.)  that Viking typically commands as high or higher price for their river cruises than their ocean cruises.  I guess it really is all about what the market will bear...

Our VRC included air and excursions every day.   Don't get me wrong, I'm definitely looking forward to the O cruise.   I'll just load up my Kindle and put it behind glass in case of emergency. 

1 hour ago, NewSalty said:

There is no comparison to a river ship... They really are completely different beasts.  You'll find no lack of alternatives even on the "small" R-Class ship and a seemingly much higher crew-to-passenger ratio.  680 passengers vs. 180.  375 crew vs. 53.   I don't know the displacements for the river ships, but going by their relative sizes, I'd estimate the R-Class to be at least 10 times the displacement....

Displacement hardly matters, for non-combat ships. For cruise ships, more a function of:

1. Number of passengers.

2. Number of crew, esp. those providing services to passengers.

3. Size of cabin (including bathroom space!).

4. Size of public spaces (including hallway width).

5. Size of swimming pool.

6. Number of eating places.

7, Number, location and size of public restrooms.

8, Number and location of elevators.

The smaller R-class ships built for 650 passengers. Our time on Sirena (11/2022) she had about 630. Which I think is near the new max, since she has solo rooms that reduced max passengers. The POOL on the R-ships tiny, more for walking than any actual swimming. And ONLY 2 specialty restaurants.

You want heaven? We had that on the much larger O-class ship Riveria 12/2021 in the W. Caribbean. Only 719 passengers and 790 crew. We were treated like gods. Room to spare everywhere.