Juneau and Skagway cost effective activities

mncbabu_yahoo

Sailing last week of May, 2024 in sapphire princess with my wife.

In Ketchikan, I am planning to go Totem Bight Park, creek street and may be easy hike around the Port. I think these 3 activities keeps us busy, as ship docks in Port  only for few hours. However ship docks in Juneau and Skagway for extended hours; more than 10 hours. 

In Skagway, I booked Yukon pass train for morning 9 am. I am trying to find activities for the afternoon, as cruise ship leaves 8 pm only. What cost effective activities we can do ?

Same in Juneau. Thinking about using public transportation to visit Mandenhall glacier. I assume we can finish the visit and Nuggets lake hike by 1 pm. The ship leaves the port around 9 pm. What cost effective activities that we can do? How much reliable the public transport? Will it be crowded with cruise passengers?

Our target to $50 per person. We are not interested in fishing tour or whale watching tours. 

Thanks 

Edited by mncbabu_yahoo
Typo

We will be on this same cruise. We have also booked the railway trip in Skagway and hope to make it to the museum in the afternoon but heard you can walk to the local cemetery and find interesting and historical gravesites. We may choose that instead.  

Have not booked anything in Juneau as we want to make time to visit local galleries and artisans in search of local artwork. Weather permitting we will take the tram trip on our own in the afternoon. 

Lots of great hiking of varying levels in Skagway. Honestly I could stay there for several days and not run out of free or nearly free things to do. Skagway is one of my favorite ports.

Juneau this year I am taking the tram up and hiking from there. 

• Like 1

In Juneau look into a visit to the Whale Project, Alaska Museum, Saint Vinny thrift store all in the same area not to far from port unless you are at AJ. Almost no cruise folks will be on the bus since it has so many stops to get there plus 1.5 mile hike after the bus to get to the visitor center. Look in youtube for other things to do. "Port Monkeys" is a good starting point. 

Edited by SightCRR

Ideas in Ketchikan which would fit your target for excursion spending include the Tongass Historical Museum, Totem Heritage Center and the Southeast Alaska Discovery Center.  There are small entrance fees to the Tongass Historical Museum ($6) and Totem Heritage Center ($6).  The Southeast Alaska Discovery Center also has a small entrance fee but check their website as there are a number of park passes which they accept for free admission.

Through the years the National Park Service has acquired a number of old buildings which are now operated as small museums.  Check the website for the Klondike Gold Rush National   Historical Park for opening times, ranger led walks and times for films in the visitor center.

Capital Transit is the public bus system in Juneau.  Their website will provide information for trips to Mendenhall Glacier.  In addition to the Alaska State Museum the Sealaska Heritage Institute has a gift store which has museum quality items, and also a cultural gallery (small admission fee for the exhibit gallery of about $7).

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/7/2024 at 6:20 PM, mncbabu_yahoo said:

What cost effective activities that we can do?

If you spend $20-$50 you will have a hard time remembering it by the time you get home and likely no idea of it in 5 years. Take a helo ride to glacier for $500 and you will remember it when the glacier has receded out of view and like it was yesterday for the next 30 years. I say the later is more cost effective after adding the costs to get to AK. 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, SightCRR said:

If you spend $20-$50 you will have a hard time remembering it by the time you get home and likely no idea of it in 5 years. Take a helo ride to glacier for $500 and you will remember it when the glacier has receded out of view and like it was yesterday for the next 30 years. I say the later is more cost effective after adding the costs to get to AK. 

My free hikes are moments I remember forever. You don’t need to spend money to make memories. I will say I am not as old as you are but they are my fondest moments over many years. 30 years from now those views will be with me including glaciers, fjords, wildlife etc.

• Like 5

I agree certain extend with the fact that more money offers better tours like glacier landing, flight seeing etc..However the Alaska is much more expensive than the equivalent places like (Switzerland, Austria etc..). We have to balance the amount for the better memory.  

• Like 1

That is why we go as cheap as we can on cruise so inside cabin (don't need blackout curtains), minimum drinks w/ cheap dining. Nice thing about cruise is to each their own. Everyone on same ship with the same ports. 

17 hours ago, SoloAlaska said:

My free hikes are moments I remember forever. You don’t need to spend money to make memories. I will say I am not as old as you are but they are my fondest moments over many years. 30 years from now those views will be with me including glaciers, fjords, wildlife etc.

I completely agree. Some of our best experiences in Alaska have involved just renting a car and exploring on our own, hiking and meeting local people. We have seen some of the most beautiful sights, and lots of wildlife including bears, moose, deer, porcupines, beaver and even a tiny little shrew! These are memories I will carry with me forever - and photos too! And we never broke the bank for any of it. 

• Like 2

On 2/7/2024 at 6:20 PM, mncbabu_yahoo said:

In Skagway, I booked Yukon pass train for morning 9 am. I am trying to find activities for the afternoon, as cruise ship leaves 8 pm only. What cost effective activities we can do ?

Are you willing to do a hike?  I highly recommend the Dewey Lake hike, at least to Lower Dewey Lake, and taking the trail around the lake.  

• Like 2

I would rent a car in Skagway and take the scenic road up to Canada. Pull over where ever you see a tour bus or groups of cars on the side of the road, as there are many breath taking views. There's just one main road up, so you will discover all there is to see along the way. In my opinion, the train is nice to look at but interminably boring. Youtube it and you will see what I am talking about. Some people love it. Not me.

On 2/8/2024 at 5:16 AM, SoloAlaska said:

Juneau this year I am taking the tram up and hiking from there. 

We also did this, and it is was a great hike, and  very cost effective.   The tram was crowded but once you start hiking above the tram we pretty much had the mountain to ourselves.  You can hike as far or as little as you want up there.  It was a bit windy, however.    The views down are spectacular.

• Like 1

On 2/16/2024 at 6:40 PM, SightCRR said:

Totally disagree! The cost of a trip is not always the most memorable ones!

The ones that you just fly by the seat of your pants are the ones that stick with you! I can attest to the memories made with not knowing what you were going to do and just let it happen!

I am not saying that every expensive tour is worth the high price and you can just luck out for cheap good ones but every tour that lets you stand on blue glacier ice in my experience was unforgettable.  

DSC07089.JPG

• Like 1

As you mentioned walking / hiking, consider the American Volksport Association (ava.org) map-guided walks in each port.  it does cost $5 but that is way less than the excursion rate of $50 on our cruise.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, KillerSnake said:

consider the American Volksport Association (ava.org) map-guided walks in each port.

More info please. Are maps with highlights on line? Some I saw last 6 months with no individual dates. TIA. 

1 hour ago, SightCRR said:

More info please. Are maps with highlights on line? Some I saw last 6 months with no individual dates. TIA. 

Juneau is only walk that has a Physical Start Box with all the information. Alaskan Fudge Co, 195 S Franklin St, Juneau, AK 99801  Skagway and Ketchican are On-line Start Boxes. This means you need to register before getting the map guide and Start Point. Because of insurance reasons, the maps are not released until one is registered - at least that is how it was explained to me.

There are a lot of AVA events that do this remote registration because no one wants to check the Start Box or the actual trail is in a remote location.  These three Alaska walks are managed by the HQ or a club in Washington State.

Review the AVA.org site and do not be afraid to call them with questions.

1 hour ago, KillerSnake said:

Review the AVA.org site and do not be afraid to call them with questions.

Thanks for the info. Looks like Sitka has one but I just told you everything I know about it. 

1 hour ago, SightCRR said:

Thanks for the info. Looks like Sitka has one but I just told you everything I know about it. 

Yes, Sitka has two 5K loops. one is rated 1B that can handle strollers and some mobility devices. The other is rated 2B. That means a more challenging trail that may have steps, tree roots, steep incline / decline, etc.....

• Like 1