Viking Homelands

Flgreg

Hello--we're considering taking the Viking Homelands cruise next year. Can anyone advise which is the better side of the ship (if there is one) for this itinerary in regard to booking a cabin?

Thanks very much for any insights.

• Like 1

The Viking Homelands itinerary is very port intensive and to be honest, you probably won't spend a lot of time in your cabin. We were on port side and had no issues with it. Most of the time while sailing, we were either sleeping, eating or enjoying the public areas of the ship. I don't believe you can go wrong with either side. As for viewing the fjords, most of the transits of the fjords was done in the dark. 

• Like 1

If you end in Bergen, the starboard side is closer to land most of the time, but it does vary. Look at the map of your cruise, and decide for yourself which side you’d prefer. We always went up to Explorers's Lounge for views while sailing. Good views are also from the terrace on deck 7, aft. 

Last May we went from Bergen to Stockholm and we were on the starboard side, cabins with the odd numbers. We like that side because it was usually the side we docked on and my husband liked to watch them dock. I liked to watch the groups coming and going.

• Like 1

I will add that although on a cruise like this, we decide based on the map and cruise direction what side to be on, we are so rarely in our cabin regardless of the weather.  If there is something to see, we are on deck where we can get full 360 view.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Flgreg said:

we're considering taking the Viking Homelands cruise next year.

Do it. Looks like a fantastic itinerary, and one that I've looked at many times. If you've not done any sort of Baltic cruise yet, this is a good one. We've been to about half of the ports on this, but never got to Stavanger on our Northern Lights tour 5 years ago nor have been to Poland, so I could easily see all the rest again. And, I agree with port-intensive. Ours also included several days in St. Petersburg making it even busier. I wouldn't be too concerned about which side of the ship you're on.

11 hours ago, Snowcat1 said:

we were on the starboard side, cabins with the odd numbers. We like that side because it was usually the side we docked on and my husband liked to watch them dock.

True enough. I must admit I've often not considered what side might be best to book, but on a Viking ship never that far a walk to get out on the deck to see the opposite shoreline.

I know that this is about what side of the ship, but do consider booking the full day - 14 hour I think - Berlin excursion.

On our cruise there were about 450 guests that took this excursion and Viking chartered a train from the cruise port to Berlin just for us.  This is about a 2.5 to 3 hour train ride each way.  Then you have about 6-7 hours in Berlin.

To us this was worth every penny and every minute.  We had never been to Berlin and probably would not end up there purposely so we did it.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, CDNPolar said:

I know that this is about what side of the ship, but do consider booking the full day - 14 hour I think - Berlin excursion.

On our cruise there were about 450 guests that took this excursion and Viking chartered a train from the cruise port to Berlin just for us.  This is about a 2.5 to 3 hour train ride each way.  Then you have about 6-7 hours in Berlin.

To us this was worth every penny and every minute.  We had never been to Berlin and probably would not end up there purposely so we did it.

Thanks for this information.  We signed up for this excursion yesterday for our June Homelands cruise and are looking forward to exploring Berlin.  I’ll be sure to take a book for the train ride!

33 minutes ago, Older Sister said:

Thanks for this information.  We signed up for this excursion yesterday for our June Homelands cruise and are looking forward to exploring Berlin.  I’ll be sure to take a book for the train ride!

Enjoy!

Edited by CDNPolar
  • Like 1