Refund of FCD if non-refundable fare is cancelled?

gameazel

If a non-refundable fare is booked using a future cruise deposit but subsequently cancelled, will the FCD be returned as an FCD available for subsequent use? Thank you all - I've forgotten this specific clause. 

29 minutes ago, gameazel said:

If a non-refundable fare is booked using a future cruise deposit but subsequently cancelled, will the FCD be returned as an FCD available for subsequent use? Thank you all - I've forgotten this specific clause. 

Non refundable means you lose your deposit including an FCD if used to reserve the cruise.

• Thanks 1

Agree with Kazu.  When booking a non-refundable cruise with a reduced deposit of $25/pp, I asked my PCC whether we would lose our future cruise deposits (along with the OBC) if I used them and had to cancel.  He said yes so I went ahead and paid the $25/pp as an affordable risk.  In the end, the pandemic arrived, I cancelled the trip, lost the $50, but then was gifted that same amount by HAL for a future cruise.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, kazu said:

Non refundable means you lose your deposit including an FCD if used to reserve the cruise.

Obviously, you have cruised a lot more than me but I booked a cruise with a FCD in December 2022 and then the price dropped in October 2023. It was a nonrefundable rate. The price dropped by more than $1000. I was able to cancel the original cruise, get the new (lower) price, and use the original FCD for the new booking. 

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, ChinaShrek said:

Obviously, you have cruised a lot more than me but I booked a cruise with a FCD in December 2022 and then the price dropped in October 2023. It was a nonrefundable rate. The price dropped by more than $1000. I was able to cancel the original cruise, get the new (lower) price, and use the original FCD for the new booking. 

Good for you 👍. Not sure who you used (TA/PCC) but they may have had success with it with you staying on the same cruise.  More power to anyone who can do it.  Had you outright cancelled (which is what the OP asked I believe) you would have lost your FCD.

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, kazu said:

Good for you 👍. Not sure who you used (TA/PCC) but they may have had success with it with you staying on the same cruise.  More power to anyone who can do it.  Had you outright cancelled (which is what the OP asked I believe) you would have lost your FCD.

That's good to know actually.

2 hours ago, kazu said:

After I moved our FCDs from refundable 24-day Iceland to Voyage of Vikings NRD because of ?private fare??? that made it attractive, I asked my PCC if I had made the FCD lose-able, and she said no, not up until Final Payment Date. I processed it in my wee head as "refundable" -- but I think you are right it was MOVEABLE up to FPD.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, crystalspin said:

After I moved our FCDs from refundable 24-day Iceland to Voyage of Vikings NRD because of ?private fare??? that made it attractive, I asked my PCC if I had made the FCD lose-able, and she said no, not up until Final Payment Date. I processed it in my wee head as "refundable" -- but I think you are right it was MOVEABLE up to FPD.

I was told by my TA that a FCD make a non-refundable reservation refundable and that's why people use them. But again, I wasn't canceling outright. I just made a new reservation for the exact same cruise.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Bgwest said:

New here. Where can I find the description of FCD availability, cost and rules for use?

I’ve not yet stumbled upon it anywhere on the HAL website.

It would not be on the website. The availability to purchase FCDs is only when you are aboard a ship. I don't have a current brochure available, but you buy one for $100 (or more if you wish) and get a reduced deposit and on board credit. The $100 FCD is good for cruises up to about 21 days. You can 'top it off' for longer cruises.

• Like 1

On 2/11/2024 at 7:05 PM, Bgwest said:

New here. Where can I find the description of FCD availability, cost and rules for use?

I’ve not yet stumbled upon it anywhere on the HAL website.

Here is a picture of the front and back of the form.  Next time I’ll take a better closeup of the fine print.

IMG_6654.thumb.jpeg.8a577f07d357c0e222eab3234edd3e15.jpeg

IMG_1122.thumb.jpeg.83e1d724d286180249c6c87bec3efa03.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1