Do I have to get a Medallion?

Wanderfully

10 minutes ago, TheMichael said:

At this point, your guesses are just plain provably wrong. (Maybe "half-remembered" might be kinder?) There have been literal teardowns of the medallion that showed they have a battery.

I'm not even sure what "a tracking component" is - the "tracking components" are the often visible devices all around the ship that interact with the Medallion. That's infrastructure and doesn't work with cards.

Y'know, just saying "I just like cards, they fit nice in my pocket, I hate dangly stuff" would come off a lot better than trying to justify it as somehow a failure of the cruise line (or in this case, wider society, including everyone who uses wearables). 

Was talking about the "medallions" of other cruise lines.  They don't have batteries.  It's an RFID chip used for NFID (near field) purposes such as unlocking and entering exiting ships.  There is no tracking components.  The device must be tapped on to receiver.  As I said they are NFID chips that are tucked into non-card type housing (a bracelet).

Princess' Medallion has a battery so it can have FFID (far field) purposes.  FFID requires a battery and a magnet so it can emit a stronger signal that a receiver can read from FAR away.  The hockey puck receivers around the ship and in cabins are used for tracking and locating functions.  The door unlocking without tapping uses FFID as well.  Other cruise lines "medallions" don't have these functions.

Think of your credit card tap function.  This is RFID, but is considered NFID.  You must tap it on the card reader for it to register and accept payment.  It would be a security breach if people could purchase NFID readers and skim you card info without having to tap it. 

Toll tags are also RFID, but are FFID, they require a battery and do not need to be tapped.  The receivers can read the transponders from far away, which facilitate traffic flow.  The driver doesn't have to stop and tap the transponder and the toll gate.

1 hour ago, SCX22 said:

Yes but these are only cruise cards disguised in different housing.  They don't contain a battery and don't have a tracking component. 

There is definitely a battery - which has been shown in a tear-down of the device - and we had to replace our Medallions part way through our recent 63 day stint on Grand Princess because the batteries were failing. As for a tracking component - how do you explain the fact that I can locate my wife or other traveling companion on the ship? I have no idea where you got your information but it is incorrect. The Medallion uses a combination of BLE (Bluetooth Low Energy) and NFC (Near Field Communication).

Edited by Thrak
  • Like 4

At this point the argument isn't 

4 minutes ago, Thrak said:

There is definitely a battery - which has been shown in a tear-down of the device - and we had to replace our Medallions part way through our recent 63 day stint on Grand Princess because the batteries were failing. As for a tracking component - how do you explain the fact that I can locate my wife or other traveling companion on the ship? I have no idea where you got your information but it is incorrect. The Medallion uses a combination of BLE (Bluetooth Low Energy) and NFC (Near Field Communication).

At this point his argument seems to be more about the argument itself than about the Medallion, which isn't going away and I still wish people would just say they like a keycard better for aesthetic reasons instead of trying to be "right" about something.

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, Thrak said:

You are correct.  

Screenshot 2024-02-14 132506.jpg

8 hours ago, SCX22 said:

I think extra revenue from the Medallion never panned out as planned because now Princess' focus is selling packages.

How do you know that the decision to sell packages isn't based on data from the medallions? I would think that at least the recent changes to the packages were driven by data from the Medallion.

2 hours ago, SCX22 said:

It's main function has switched from an all in one tracking device to extra ride/park interaction and for those that want to spend extra ride interaction.  At this point, Disney is trying to recuperate their losses in rolling the technology out. 

Do you have a source for this statement? Personally, I don't think Disney would have introduced them in DLR if it was not worth it to them. It would be pretty dumb to introduce a product that lost money and didn't provide useful data.

Something to keep in mind, Princess is now charging $10 to ship the medallion. I'm pretty sure they are making a profit on this even if it is included in one of the packages.

16 minutes ago, MacMadame said:

How do you know that the decision to sell packages isn't based on data from the medallions? I would think that at least the recent changes to the packages were driven by data from the Medallion.

Something to keep in mind, Princess is now charging $10 to ship the medallion. I'm pretty sure they are making a profit on this even if it is included in one of the packages.

If Princess can't even come clean about the Sun Princess delays, what would make them divulge this info in black and white?  Sometimes you have to read between the lines.

It would be pretty dumb to introduce a product that lost money and didn't provide useful data.

Disney has lost money with the MagicBands since they were introduced in 2013.  They spent over $1 billion in R&D, implementation, and deployment.  In 2021, they started to charge for these bands.  The fact that they no longer want to hand them out as a freebie to park guests is a sign that the cost vs benefit analysis didn't make sense.  If the data was that valuable, they would still be free.  $1 billion (probably more because execs decided to advance the technology in the years preceding) is a very high price tag for data.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, TheMichael said:

At this point the argument isn't 

At this point his argument seems to be more about the argument itself than about the Medallion, which isn't going away and I still wish people would just say they like a keycard better for aesthetic reasons instead of trying to be "right" about something.

Well, Princess is crying foul over their finances.  As a result, passengers have had to accept cuts to service and pay more for onboard experiences.  The Medallion is one way that they could cut costs there by reinstate services/experiences that once were.  Personally, I would give up my door unlocking from a distance if I could dine at Alfredo's when I wanted to without a package or a cover charge plus tip.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

54 minutes ago, MacMadame said:

Do you have a source for this statement? Personally, I don't think Disney would have introduced them in DLR if it was not worth it to them. It would be pretty dumb to introduce a product that lost money and didn't provide useful data.

The old key card already told them how many drinks you had, how often you went to specialty restaurants and spent in stores. What more could they get from a medallion except for where you went around ship ?  Plus they have had packages way before the medallion ever came out

• Like 1

7 hours ago, SCX22 said:

Disney has lost money with the MagicBands since they were introduced in 2013.  They spent over $1 billion in R&D, implementation, and deployment.  In 2021, they started to charge for these bands.  The fact that they no longer want to hand them out as a freebie to park guests is a sign that the cost vs benefit analysis didn't make sense.  If the data was that valuable, they would still be free.  $1 billion (probably more because execs decided to advance the technology in the years preceding) is a very high price tag for data.

Let's start seeing some citations for this "failure." Disney has only expanded the use of MagicBands over recent years, including to Disneyland, to an "elevated" MagiicBand+, and on their cruise ships. In the meantime they've completely overhauled other park systems, indicating that the MagicBand has never been one of their worries.

Edited by TheMichael

7 hours ago, SCX22 said:

Well, Princess is crying foul over their finances.  As a result, passengers have had to accept cuts to service and pay more for onboard experiences.  The Medallion is one way that they could cut costs there by reinstate services/experiences that once were.  

I say the Medallion makes them more revenue per passenger, you say it doesn't.

One of us is going to have to provide some numbers to back it up, or we'll both need to stop making that a discussion point. 😄

• Like 2

Here is a small, but positive medallion story.  On a recent Princess cruise, I left our cabin, walked around the ship, went to a lecture and did not make use of my medallion.  I returned to my cabin and realized that I didn't have my medallion.  Did I lose it on my walk? Did I drop it at the lecture? Was it in my cabin?  Thankfully, my steward was able to use his device to show that, indeed, it was still in my cabin.  If I had a key card, I would have had no choice but to retrace my steps or go Guest Services to request a new card.  Love the Medallion!

• Like 6

3 hours ago, jangor said:

Here is a small, but positive medallion story.  On a recent Princess cruise, I left our cabin, walked around the ship, went to a lecture and did not make use of my medallion.  I returned to my cabin and realized that I didn't have my medallion.  Did I lose it on my walk? Did I drop it at the lecture? Was it in my cabin?  Thankfully, my steward was able to use his device to show that, indeed, it was still in my cabin.  If I had a key card, I would have had no choice but to retrace my steps or go Guest Services to request a new card.  Love the Medallion!

In the past if I lost my card I would go to the desk and get another card. 

What happens if  you lose your flying saucer? Is there a charge?

17 minutes ago, artvlay said:

Go to guest services and they will deactivate the lost one and give you a new one. Same as a lost cruise card.

• Like 3

I put on the medallion, and instantly I felt a tingling sensation in my fingers.  I think it was reprogramming my DNA because all I want to do now is go to art auctions and buy my wife jewelry at Effys.

• Haha 12

1 hour ago, Stosh68 said:

I put on the medallion, and instantly I felt a tingling sensation in my fingers.  I think it was reprogramming my DNA because all I want to do now is go to art auctions and buy my wife jewelry at Effys.

Mine directs me to the nearest bar.  I think you’re right about the DNA.  It didn’t change after disembarkation.

Edited by BamaVol
  • Haha 3

1 hour ago, artvlay said:

But then you might return to your cabin and find the lost card and could have avoided the trip to guest services.  But if wasting time at guest services is your thing, go for it.BTW, there is no charge.

Edited by jangor
addition

23 minutes ago, BamaVol said:

Mine directs me to the nearest bar.  I think you’re right about the DNA.  It didn’t change after disembarkation.

Considering how much time I have spent in bars on Princess ships it might surprise folks to find that we don't frequent bars at home. Once in a while - not even close to once a month - we go out for beer and music at a local place or two. We sometimes have 2 beers apiece while there. Wahoo!!!

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Thrak said:

Considering how much time I have spent in bars on Princess ships it might surprise folks to find that we don't frequent bars at home. Once in a while - not even close to once a month - we go out for beer and music at a local place or two. We sometimes have 2 beers apiece while there. Wahoo!!!

Same here. I'm pretty much a teetotaler except when on a cruise ship or an all-inclusive resort, where I don't have to worry about how I will get home - I only have to hoof it back to our room. And if the boat is rocking a bit, I can almost make it look like I'm sober if I time my steps properly...😃

• Haha 1

34 minutes ago, IndyKid said:

Same here. I'm pretty much a teetotaler except when on a cruise ship or an all-inclusive resort, where I don't have to worry about how I will get home - I only have to hoof it back to our room. And if the boat is rocking a bit, I can almost make it look like I'm sober if I time my steps properly...😃

Oh, make no mistake. Nobody would consider me a teetotaler by any means. I just don't frequent bars. 🤪

8 hours ago, artvlay said:

I think the point is that it's harder to lose. With the Medallion, there's really no such thing as losing it on the ship. You can find it using the app. Losing it at a port stop would work the same way as the card.

6 hours ago, Thrak said:

I drink more on vacation, period, whether on a boat or in a city I got to by car or plane. I rarely get outright drunk even in the face of an unlimited bar tab, but it's nice to relax with a drink or three during an activity when out and about.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, jangor said:

But then you might return to your cabin and find the lost card and could have avoided the trip to guest services.  But if wasting time at guest services is your thing, go for it. BTW, there is no charge.

How many times do you lose your card or medallion? 

I can't say it's ever happen to me. 

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, MissP22 said:

How many times do you lose your card or medallion? 

I can't say it's ever happen to me. 

I actually left my card on a table in the Piazza on Coral Princess one time. I realized it very quickly and went back. It had been turned in at the bar and they hadn't yet taken it to Guest Services. I felt like a total dork. (Not really all that unusual for me...)

• Like 2