MSC YC newbie - is there a mandatory service charge?

HappyInVan

Hi,

Sorry. I have a YC booking. Is there a daily service charge or required gratuity imposed on YC pax?

On HAL, there is a daily Gratuity of @$17/day PP that can be withdrawn by the pax.

On 2/11/2024 at 12:04 AM, HappyInVan said:

Hi,

Sorry. I have a YC booking. Is there a daily service charge or required gratuity imposed on YC pax?

On HAL, there is a daily Gratuity of @$17/day PP that can be withdrawn by the pax.

Either way plan on spending much more on Tips. You butler is not included, Maitre D as well as a few others, never mind the service you receive from the top sail and pool staff.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, mscdivina2016 said:

Either way plan on spending much more on Tips. You butler is not included, Maitre D as well as a few others, never mind the service you receive from the top sail and pool staff.

I know with the level of service provided, pretty much everyone is going to want to tip extra, but keep in mind it is ‘extra’, officially no additional tipping is expected over the service charge, even for your butler. 

We always do tip extra regardless as the service really does excel, but it should be because you want to, not because you believe it is required. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Mark_T said:

I know with the level of service provided, pretty much everyone is going to want to tip extra, but keep in mind it is ‘extra’, officially no additional tipping is expected over the service charge, even for your butler. 

We always do tip extra regardless as the service really does excel, but it should be because you want to, not because you believe it is required. 

I should have been clearer. You are correct.

I always get the paper at the end of the cruise regarding the tipping and it always states your butler is not covered under the service charge 

6 hours ago, mscdivina2016 said:

I should have been clearer. You are correct.

I always get the paper at the end of the cruise regarding the tipping and it always states your butler is not covered under the service charge 

Hmmmmm… We did not receive a paper that said the service charge does not cover the Butler in YC for our cruise that we took in December. I also can’t find anything on the website that says this! In fact the website says individual tipping is discouraged. Not that we really used our butler for anything but just curious if they are really not included in the daily service fee.

That being said, we did tip extra for our butler, assistant butler and a few in the YC lounge. 

27 minutes ago, SeasideMemories said:

Hmmmmm… We did not receive a paper that said the service charge does not cover the Butler in YC for our cruise that we took in December. I also can’t find anything on the website that says this! In fact the website says individual tipping is discouraged. Not that we really used our butler for anything but just curious if they are really not included in the daily service fee.

That being said, we did tip extra for our butler, assistant butler and a few in the YC lounge. 

I was on Seashore last month and I got it.

I am on Seascape in a week and a half and I will snap a picture.

It was on the paper for getting ready to disembark.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, mscdivina2016 said:

I was on Seashore last month and I got it.

I am on Seascape in a week and a half and I will snap a picture.

It was on the paper for getting ready to disembark.

If you remember to check I would appreciate it! Even though we didn’t really use the butler much I would have tipped a bit more if I knew he was not covered at all by the included service fee.

We have sailed 6 times in YC in the US and have always been told that extra gratuities are discouraged-- and never have been told YC butler was excluded at MSC in the onboard grats program

Mind you, in the US the daily grats are charged on the ship and yes, we leave them in place to cover general service.

That said, our last day/night, we track down and always give out envelopes with hand written personal notes of thanks and with cash for servers, bar, pool attendant butler, steward etc ..about a dozen folks who made the sailings special. 

Edited by Fogfog