Sharing drinks on NCL

My issue with what the OP proposed is that it might be 2-3 drinks for him, but then the next person comes along and orders another 2-3 drinks for their friend, etc. Those drinks add up and may ultimately increase the cost of our “free” drink package. This isn’t necessarily a practice that doesn’t harm anyone else. 

On 2/11/2024 at 7:49 AM, havoc315 said:

For those condemning OP for daring to share a mocktail from their FAS package with their 3rd adult, have you ever driven 56mph in a 55mph zone?

There is a big real-life difference between, over a week long cruise, sharing 3-4 mocktails and 1-2 glasses of wine, versus 1 person getting FAS and sharing 5-10 cocktails per day. 

I’m not suggesting rules should be broken. But at the same time, not every rule is inflexible, written in stone, punishable by death. 

Or actually ordering (just for yourself) and drinking 20+ drinks per day.  That affects the cruise line much more, but rules are not broken!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, rnfulk said:

My issue with what the OP proposed is that it might be 2-3 drinks for him, but then the next person comes along and orders another 2-3 drinks for their friend, etc. Those drinks add up and may ultimately increase the cost of our “free” drink package. This isn’t necessarily a practice that doesn’t harm anyone else. 

First, the OP only asked whether the rule is enforced, in the situation she suggested -- Sitting at the bar, asking for a mocktail for a friend.  Did not ask everyone to weigh in with their moral judgments of the practice. 

Second, as you realize the "free" package isn't actually "free," you must also realize that the pricing is already built into the cruise, which already budgets for total consumption on a cruise. The vast majority of adult cruisers are on the FAS package -- Including plenty of people who don't even drink alcohol. Plenty of people just see "Free at sea" -- which is added by default, unless you opt out.  Most people don't see a reason to opt our of something free, even when they realize they "just have to pay the gratuities."

So between the fact that the vast majority of people get the package, and the fact that it is already priced into the cruise fare, and the fact that there are already rules to prevent widespread abuse (typically all adults on the reservation need to be on the same package, so you can't have widespread family members sharing the package. One person can only get 2 drinks at a time, so 1 person with the package can't go get drinks for all their friends).  If bartenders decide to go a little loose with the rules and let a few mocktails slide (a mocktail that ultimately really costs NCL a  few pennies), that is not going to change anyone's fare.

OP asked whether the rules are enforced: The answer is, sometimes the bartenders will insist on seeing each card, sometimes they will take just 1 card and not  care.  No reason to weigh in with moral judgments.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, havoc315 said:

First, the OP only asked whether the rule is enforced, in the situation she suggested -- Sitting at the bar, asking for a mocktail for a friend.  Did not ask everyone to weigh in with their moral judgments of the practice. 

Second, as you realize the "free" package isn't actually "free," you must also realize that the pricing is already built into the cruise, which already budgets for total consumption on a cruise. The vast majority of adult cruisers are on the FAS package -- Including plenty of people who don't even drink alcohol. Plenty of people just see "Free at sea" -- which is added by default, unless you opt out.  Most people don't see a reason to opt our of something free, even when they realize they "just have to pay the gratuities."

So between the fact that the vast majority of people get the package, and the fact that it is already priced into the cruise fare, and the fact that there are already rules to prevent widespread abuse (typically all adults on the reservation need to be on the same package, so you can't have widespread family members sharing the package. One person can only get 2 drinks at a time, so 1 person with the package can't go get drinks for all their friends).  If bartenders decide to go a little loose with the rules and let a few mocktails slide (a mocktail that ultimately really costs NCL a  few pennies), that is not going to change anyone's fare.

OP asked whether the rules are enforced: The answer is, sometimes the bartenders will insist on seeing each card, sometimes they will take just 1 card and not  care.  No reason to weigh in with moral judgments.  

Don’t really care what the OP asked at this point. The discussion has moved in other directions, but I’m sure he is glad to have you as his champion. My judgment wasn’t moral. I didn’t say right or wrong. I said that it could financially impact cruisers who are following the rules. I am one of those people and have a vested interest in how behaviors of fellow cruisers may be influencing my future cruise fares. 
‘Free’ was in quotes in my post, indicating that I know it isn’t really free. That doesn’t invalidate what I said. If more drinks are being consumed than what the cruise line estimates, they will eventually raise the price of the package (‘free’ drink package gratuities increase) or factor more money into the cruise fare to account for the increase. This may happen anyway if people with the package drink more than the estimated x drinks a day, but it is more likely to happen if people are cheating the system. 

• Thanks 1

On 2/11/2024 at 8:18 AM, dbrown84 said:

The bartenders and servers will actually put the 3rd person's drinks on the card with FAS, even when it wasn't your intent to do so.  I've even had a server ask me if I minded buying someone an upgraded drink when I had the upgraded drink package.  Of course, I had no problem with it

Now, the question I have is how did the 3rd person manage to bypass the drink package?  Did they have a Dr. note?  One rule that NCL does apply strictly is that all adults in the cabin has to get the drink package if at least one does

I believe the OP said that the 3rd person had the soda package.  

14 minutes ago, havoc315 said:

You really like to beat a dead horse, even when you've been proven wrong time and time again.

But kudos to your persistence. I hope you fight this hard for your criminal clients.

Below is a key sentence from the OP:

"If the three of us are sitting together at any bar will the ones with FAS be able to order a second drink to hand it over to that third guest?"

They aren't asking the bartender to give one of their drinks to the "cabin buddy" from their package.

They aren't even planning to ask the bartender if it's ok to give one of their drinks to someone who isn't eligible.

They are "deceptively" planning to order an extra drink and then hand it to their friend who has no package covering those drinks.

It's specific and purposeful deception and it's stealing in my book.

Inevitably, this scamming of the system will cost those who "mostly" follow the rules.

• Thanks 2

On 2/11/2024 at 8:32 AM, goldmom said:

I was wondering the same thing.  When I had my 3 adult children in one cabin the first 2 got the FAS drink package and the third one had to buy the package, even though he doesn't drink.  I think that rule is in place to avoid the exact situation that the OP is asking about.

Edited by Smitheroo

9 minutes ago, bkrickles1 said:

You really like to beat a dead horse, even when you've been proven wrong time and time again.

But kudos to your persistence. I hope you fight this hard for your criminal clients.

Below is a key sentence from the OP:

"If the three of us are sitting together at any bar will the ones with FAS be able to order a second drink to hand it over to that third guest?"

They aren't asking the bartender to give one of their drinks to the "cabin buddy" from their package.

They aren't even planning to ask the bartender if it's ok to give one of their drinks to someone who isn't eligible.

They are "deceptively" planning to order an extra drink and then hand it to their friend who has no package covering those drinks.

It's specific and purposeful deception and it's stealing in my book.

Inevitably, this scamming of the system will cost those who "mostly" follow the rules.

That's quite an interpretation. So you think the bartender is blind, while this is being done right in front of the bartender?   

That's quite a deception, so they are going to hypnotize the bartender while they do it?

You're adding the word "deceptively" ---  How can it be a deception if it's being done right in front of the bartender, with the bartender's knowledge?

• Thanks 1

On 2/13/2024 at 5:34 PM, PTC DAWG said:

It’s really not that hard to do.  Ask me how I know..the FAS is a money saver for me AND my Bride. 🙂

It not just a money saver (in some cases) its just so much easier.  I probably break even or maybe even lose a little by paying the drink gratuities. (2 drinks break even) I still do it because sometime I do want to drink and its less effort. 

7 hours ago, DominicAUS said:

The poor bartenders are generally rushed off their feet if they’re not going to check every card

Why would they ever "check" a card?  Don't they just swipe them and let the computer tell them if they need to charge for the drink?

On 2/14/2024 at 11:49 AM, RocketMan275 said:

It isn't 'free'. It's 'included' in the cruise fare.  You are paying for it.

The cruise is not $109 less per day if you opt out of “free at sea”..

• Like 1

On 2/14/2024 at 10:04 AM, Oceans 818 said:

Reading this post and some of the visous responses is not making me want to sail NCL anytime soon. As many of these customers seem to be very aggresively judgemental towards their fellow cruisers.

At an average of $100 per day for a drink package, I'm inclined to think the cruiseline has factored in package sharing into the equation along with a healthy profit.

OP said the odd glass of wine, or mocktail. Honestly I doubt the cruiselines are as concerned about this as they are about those who load the plates so full, you couldn't put another olive on it and then leave the plates behind and head for the desert bar. Or in the MDR have several appetizers and mains and only eat parts, leaving the senseless waste behind. Restaurants push alcohol sales as the profit margin is much higher than food margins. But that is my opinon and I find the food waste the more offensive.

Oh, this is nothing. Hang around on cruise critic awhile and you will know what I mean

5 minutes ago, PTC DAWG said:

The cruise is not $109 less per day if you opt out of “free at sea”..

that's the thing.  If you opt out, you're still paying for the drink package (in the cruise fare).  You're only opting out of paying the gratuities.  

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, kirtihk said:

Or actually ordering (just for yourself) and drinking 20+ drinks per day.  That affects the cruise line much more, but rules are not broken!

oh, gosh, no, it doesn't actually affect the cruise line much more.  they have carefully calculated that a certain number of people will always be "super users" whose main goal in life (seemingly) will be to get maximum value out of the drink package and drink eighteen or twenty or thirty drinks a day.  just like there are  those who pay $69.95 at a buffet in las vegas and only eat salad, while their friend chows down on crab legs, lobster, shrimp and prime rib.

if you're a past cruiser, they already have specific data on you personally and know exactly how many drinks you're likely to consume. it enters into the lifetime profit value they place on you and can affect marketing decisions. i may have four drinks a day, somebody else may have ten, somebody else may have six, somebody else may have twenty. the average number of drinks consumed in that micro sample would be ten per person. they have aggregate data per ship, per itinerary, and per month and week. they know how many drinks will likely be consumed on a leisurely october stroll through canada and new england and they know how many drinks are likely to be consumed on a spring break cruise to the caribbean.

people giving drinks to others... that's much harder to predict and the prohibition against it rather easy to enforce, should NCL be interested in enforcing it. their ecosystem, however, relies largely on the honor system in this regard and when people play fast and loose with the rules, it upsets the apple cart and does lead to higher costs, which eventually leads to higher prices for those stealing drinks and, sadly, also for those who don't.

Edited by UKstages

2 minutes ago, UKstages said:

oh, gosh, no, it doesn't actually affect the cruise line much more.  they have carefully calculated that a certain number of people will always be "super users" whose main goal in life (seemingly) will be to get maximum value out of the drink package and drink eighteen or twenty or thirty drinks a day.  just like there are  those who pay $69.95 at a buffet in las vegas and only eat salad, while their friend chows down on crab legs, lobster, shrimp and prime rib.

if you're a past cruiser, they already have specific data on you personally and know exactly how many drinks you're likely to consume. it enters into the lifetime profit value they place on you and can affect marketing decisions. i may have four drinks a day, somebody else may have ten, somebody else may have six, somebody else may have twenty. the average number of drinks consumed in that micro sample would be ten per person. they have aggregate data per ship, per itinerary, and per month and week. they know how many drinks will likely be consumed on a leisurely october stroll through canada and new england and they know how many drinks are likely to be consumed on a spring break cruise to the caribbean.

people giving drinks to others... that's much harder to predict and the prohibition against it rather easy to enforce, should NCL try to enforce it. their ecosystem, however, relies largely on the honor system in this regard and when people play fast and loose with the rules, it upsets the apple cart and does lead to higher costs, which eventually leads to higher prices for those stealing drinks and, sadly, also for those who don't.

now, I'm not commenting on the morality of sharing drinks at all.  I'm just pointing out that if people were sharing, wouldn't the shared drinks be counted in your scenario above thus are calculated in the average?

• Like 2

OP, when you put out a question like this you need to know you will receive a myriad of feedback.  

As many have stated, bartenders may bend the rules, waiters may bend the rules, and certainly so have concierges and butlers.  This is where NCL’s discretion comes into play.   I have read many instances of these choices and I have had some bestowed to me even though I did not ask for them.  I AM SURE THE MOTIVATOR IS “TIPS”.

Everyone has their own moral compass and some of my family members roll their eyes when I show mine.  My BFF is my sis and we are a bit opposite.  LOL. 

Happy cruising to all.  

p.s.  I am that person who drives the speed limit and gets a lot of “birds” thrown at me. 

25 minutes ago, UKstages said:

if you're a past cruiser, they already have specific data on you personally and know exactly how many drinks you're likely to consume. it enters into the lifetime profit value they place on you and can affect marketing decisions.

Oh, my!  It didn't cross my mind!  Perhaps, was it a joke?  Now... you make me to start wonder whether they also collect data on washroom visits (to conserve water consumption and waste treatment savings). 

Edited by kirtihk
  • Haha 1

33 minutes ago, havoc315 said:

That's quite an interpretation. So you think the bartender is blind, while this is being done right in front of the bartender?   

That's quite a deception, so they are going to hypnotize the bartender while they do it?

You're adding the word "deceptively" ---  How can it be a deception if it's being done right in front of the bartender, with the bartender's knowledge?

Wow!

You like to leave out words to fit your narrative.

I said they are "deceptively planning". They haven't actually stolen anything yet. The OP's initial post has been accurately described by many here to be a plan to cheat the system and he/she is looking to see if there is the potential for them to get in trouble. The OP knows it's wrong and is selfishly only interested in if they will face consequences.

And, on the variety of cruises I've gone on, the bartenders are typically pretty busy and can't really keep an eye on everyone.

But, I guess what you're saying is, that it's ok to put the bartenders in a situation where they have to confront passengers who don't give a "bleep" about the rules or how it affects their fellow passengers.

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, bkrickles1 said:

Wow!

You like to leave out words to fit your narrative.

I said they are "deceptively planning". They haven't actually stolen anything yet. The OP's initial post has been accurately described by many here to be a plan to cheat the system and he/she is looking to see if there is the potential for them to get in trouble. The OP knows it's wrong and is selfishly only interested in if they will face consequences.

And, on the variety of cruises I've gone on, the bartenders are typically pretty busy and can't really keep an eye on everyone.

But, I guess what you're saying is, that it's ok to put the bartenders in a situation where they have to confront passengers who don't give a "bleep" about the rules or how it affects their fellow passengers.

Everyone, relax, let's just drink and stay ecstatic!

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1