Travel Logistics

OKCer

Curious how far out AOV sends details regarding hotel selection in Buenos Aires, along with chartered flight info? Additionally, what is the traditional return flight time to BA after docking back in Ushuaia. Do you recommend booking flights home, starting the journey that day or is it best to book one hotel night in BA to allow for delays getting out of Ushuaia? 

I got this info 2 months before boarding. But I also booked the cruise 2 months before boarding! So I'm not sure if they send it earlier. 

We will be at the Hilton in BA. I don't know if they also use other hotels.

The flight return to BA gets in at 3:15pm for my cruise. Again, not sure if this is always the case. I booked a hotel night but if you have a return flight after 6pm I would think you'd be ok.

I got my stuff about 6 weeks out. I recommend not trying to depart the same day the charter gets back... still a lot of variables in play. Ship could make port late... charter could run late (it happens...). Even though the flights out of BA to USA depart in the evening, it would make for a very long and somewhat stressful day of just being in the airport hoping all the pieces line up.

I'll add... if I were to do it all again, I'd arrive in BA 2 days prior to the charter flight. American Airlines didn't load one of my bags in DFW - couldn't have gotten it to me until the next day, but AFTER the charter departed. It seemed like a high percentage of passengers were missing bags that could have been delivered to the hotel the next day, it was like 10%. And that was across a lot of different departure airports and airlines. Don't know what's up with this seemingly high attrition rate regarding bags getting on the same plane as their owners. Besides... BA is a cool town and I do wish I had the extra day - not only for luggage to catch up but to check out the city.

Another suggestion would be to fly to BA several days ahead of the charter and go to Iguazú Falls for a few days (1 day to fly there, 1 day there, 1 day to fly back).  Pack your Iguazú stuff in your carry ons, so if your luggage doesn't come on your flight to BA it will be there when you get back from Igauzú.  [And you won't be sorry you visited the falls, because they are terrific!]

We received two emails with all the details: 2 months out, then 1 month out.

We did similar to what @Host Jazzbeau recommended, flew to Puerto Iguazu the same day after we arrived Buenos Aires.  Packed summer necessities in carry on luggage, and winter necessities in checked luggage.  Luckily, no lost luggage.

Stayed at Puerto Iguazu for 3 nights: Brazil side + Bird Park for one day, and Argentina side + Great Adventure boat ride for another day.  The falls are really impressive and almost impossible to describe its full scope with words!  Strongly recommend!

Prior to moving to Hilton, we stayed in BA for another 3 nights to check out various point of interests and enjoy the wonderful (and CHEAP) dishes!

Charter flight from Ushuaia was back to BA around 3:15 PM (on time).  AA counters would not open until 5 PM.  No issue for 9 PM flight back to USA.