Oceania vs Regent

Harters

One of our two regular supermarkets, Waitrose, publishes a monthly food magazine. This month's edition carries a four page advert for Regent noting that the line is created "with discerning food-loving travellers in mind". Would anyone care to comment, please, on how they reckon that claim stacks up against Oceania's "Finest cuisine at sea". And , of course, any more general comments that might help me to make useful comparisons on the relative experiences - we're looking towards a 2025 cruise. I'm also asking the same question on the Regent forum.

TIA

John

Edited by Harters
  • Like 1

Really interesting article!

We’ve only sailed once with Regent back in 2018, so can’t comment on the newer ships, but we were not impressed with the food. We prefer the variety of dining venues provided by Oceania. Food is so subjective though. In fact we have no desire to sail Regent again. We didn’t like the general atmosphere it felt like all show and no substance. If you’re considering Regent I’d also take a look at Seabourn not quite as inclusive but in my opinion a far better overall experience.

The reason I say this article is interesting is that it’s advertising some ‘speciality’ cruises. Strangely enough I had an email from Seabourn this morning announcing ‘The Collection’ a series of by ‘invitation only’ cruises on the Venture. These voyages include tickets to the final of the Barcelona Open Tennis or an evening with dinner in a French Chateaux etc.

It makes me wonder, if the extra capacity coming on line , in both the luxury and premium markets, is going to be hard to fill unless something even more exclusive is on offer. Guess only time will tell.

• Like 5

My experience of Regent is probably not the norm, as we were on code red for the duration of the cruise, but based on a 14 day TA the food on Regent is well below Oceania. Buffet was extremely sparse (no buffet in the evening), pool grill - more choice but quality lower. Breakfast in the main dining room - plenty of options, but eggs Benedict not as good as O, hashed brown potato honestly looked like what you get from McDonalds, the same experience in the buffet regarding poor breakfast items. Extremely random chance of getting all your desired items in one go or of a quality you would expect on a luxury line. Asked for country ham one morning as a side to pancakes and received one extremely thin slice of greasy ham the quarter the size of an iPhone screen. Questioned if this was a normal portion size with the Maitre’D and received two slices the same size 10 minutes later with an embarrassed shrug. I do not think there was one meal we had (including two lots of room service) where the order was correct, or didn’t have something on the order that I felt was substandard. 

I am not an overly critical person either. I really wanted to like Regent and I was very understanding of the ship being understaffed and having an extra workload due to the code red. We were not alone in feeling this cruise was quite dire, I would say most of the people we spoke to at the end of the cruise were very disappointed with the experience they had on board. One couple said “this has been the sh***est cruise we have ever been on”. That’s a more extreme version of similar things I heard. 

I was very disappointed with Regent, and really can’t justify trying them again to see if it was a blip.

The Regent cruise has actually made us reconsider whether we want to cancel our November TA on Sirena - I don’t want to be stuck on a ship again with poor food choices if we have another “blip” cruise.

The Regent trip has made me realise that we really enjoy the evening buffet on O, and dressing up for dinner is a bit of a faff and we want to relax when on a cruise.

Food was so hit and miss on Regent that mealtimes became a chore as to what mis-step we would inevitably experience. We’ve not had that experience on O, but are wary as to whether we want to take that roulette chance.

Currently feeling very wary of cruising again after an experience I would have been disappointed with if it was P&O! I feel like it has actually put me off cruising, which is really sad as I love O as a brand, and have adored my time on Sirena, but not sure I want to take that chance. 

We are actually thinking of cancelling and going to Vegas for a poker holiday as we will be more in control of potential food blips.

It’s quite upsetting for me to feel like this. I wouldn’t recommend Regent to someone who enjoys O. 

We were on the new Regent Grandeur in December. It was our first Regent cruise. We have done two cruises on Oceania, Marina and Riviera. Food is so subjective. However, we found the food on Regent to be equal to or better than Oceania. Same high-quality ingredients and variety.

The differences I found was the presentation on Regent seemed to be much better. The French restaurant on Regent, Chartreuse, is more "upscale" than Jacques and the type of food is completely different (classic French versus more country French). Steakhouses and Red Ginger/Pacific Rim were almost identical. However, not that it matters, but the food was presented much more beautifully on Regent.

We really disliked the main dining room on both our Oceania cruises. Had a couple of not great meals. We had major service issues in the dining room on Grandeur, but the food was much better. The big difference was they have a mix and match menu where you choose your protein (or more than one, steak and lobster or shrimp for example), the preparation and a sauce. They also have a rotating menu of chef's specialties. But with the mix and match, you never get bored.

The other big difference is the buffet. Both have small buffets but there is plenty to choose from on both. Salad ingredients were better on Regent - my big complaint about the Oceania buffet was the same five salad ingredients every day. However, the Regent buffet is not open for casual dining in the evening, and that's where Oceania has the edge. What is better after a long day of an excursion than going up to the buffet, and ordering something hot off the grill to eat outside? On Regent it's the dining room, a specialty restaurant (with reservations difficult to get) or room service.

There is an large outdoor pool buffet on Regent that Oceania doesn't have. It has many of the items from the indoor buffet plus made to order sandwiches and other items. We found the food ok (it was cold a lot) and the table service bad. We always liked Waves on Oceania, but much more food available outside on Regent at the pool buffet.

If you are concerned that the food on Regent is a downgrade from Oceania, I wouldn't be worry. They are more alike than different. Now if you are talking the difference between Oceania/Regent and Celebrity (the line we cruised on mostly in 2023), there's absolutly no comparison at all.

• Like 3

Have sailed more on Crystal and Silversea. Have done one cruise on Regent and one on Oceania. We felt Regent was a far better choice and certainly $ for $ a better value. We like Oceania’s food and cabins but hated the cost of liquor and excursions. We loved the food, entertainment and all inclusive aspect of Regent. However would sail on either again depending on itinerary 

• Like 1

Lorimay thanks for your up to date review. Regent have had some good offers lately but I just dismiss them because of our one experience in 2018. Maybe I’ll take a closer look at the new ships, especially when on offer!

1 hour ago, Vallesan said:

Lorimay thanks for your up to date review. Regent have had some good offers lately but I just dismiss them because of our one experience in 2018. Maybe I’ll take a closer look at the new ships, especially when on offer!

The Regent Grandeur was by far the most beautiful ship I have been on. Truly stunning, both in the suites and around the ship. While all the public areas are nice (the area around the reception area looks like a five-star hotel lobby), the library is the nicest I've ever been in anywhere. Our F1 or F2 veranda suite was almost the same size as the PH we had on Marina, but the layout and finishes were so much nicer. We felt the Marina and Riviera decor was a little tired. That might not mean much to most people, but does to us. 

We are sailing on the Vista in July and I've noticed from the pictures that it appears to be very similar, so we are looking forward to it. We wanted to try Oceania again and see how we feel about it after Regent.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, lorimay said:

We felt the Marina and Riviera decor was a little tired.

Riviera was refurbished in 2022, likely after you sailed on her, and Marina will be refurbished this spring, so i suspect your opinion was not based on the current decor scheme.

35 minutes ago, lorimay said:

The Regent Grandeur was by far the most beautiful ship I have been on. Truly stunning, both in the suites and around the ship. While all the public areas are nice (the area around the reception area looks like a five-star hotel lobby), the library is the nicest I've ever been in anywhere. Our F1 or F2 veranda suite was almost the same size as the PH we had on Marina, but the layout and finishes were so much nicer. We felt the Marina and Riviera decor was a little tired. That might not mean much to most people, but does to us. 

We are sailing on the Vista in July and I've noticed from the pictures that it appears to be very similar, so we are looking forward to it. We wanted to try Oceania again and see how we feel about it after Regent.

Thank you. It’s really good to get to get recent reports. 

When making a brand decision, it is so very difficult.  Especially when considering dining or food.  Yet I too for the longest time was very interested in Regent Seven Seas Cruises.  Reading the comments on Regent's blog, watching video's of high-end cruisers who spent a lot of time evaluating the food.  

What you really need is someone who actually went on both Oceania and Regent.  I am NOT that person.  However I can give you a different comparison.  Oceania vs Crystal Cruises prior to the new owners.  It is my understand from one of the most frequent Crystal Cruise whom is a good friend of mine, the food and Dining is even better today. 

Oceania Cruises was very good food for my group and me with a few fails. The Grand Dining room was better then most Main Dining Rooms on NCL, Royal and Celebrity.  It was not as good as most specialty restaurants. Now I found Breakfast at the Grand Dining Room my favorite meal there. Where on Crystal, the Main Dining Room was a good or better then most Specialty Restaurants.  The Suites only dining room on Celebrity Retreat and NCL Haven were always excellent to me knowing again all is relevant to ones tastes and experience. 

Base on everything I have read, viewed and heard; the Regent's food/dining is slightly better to being the same however the premium for the Regent Cruise is much higher due to the all inclusive nature.  I have found out the the Ritz Carlton Yacht Collection is crushing it on the food/dining category.  Again, ultra-luxury vs. Premium Plus.  You pay for the privilege. 

Cruise well and enjoy every moment. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Vallesan said:

Thank you. It’s really good to get to get recent reports. 

It is worth noting then that my report is from Mid/End January of this year. 

• Like 3

I checked Regent several times. Their pricing doesn't make sense to me. 10 nights in Europe on the newer ships (Splendor and Grandeur) start around $800 USD per night (after air credit) and most sailings are close to $1,000 USD per night or more. O starts around $300-350 per night. I know it's not apples to apples comparison in terms of inclusions, but even SS has many sailings around $500-600 per night, and SB you can get even under $500. I don't think Regent is that much better than SB or SS to justify that kind of price.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Sthrngary said:

However I can give you a different comparison.  Oceania vs Crystal Cruises prior to the new owners. 

Thank you. But my understanding, from CC's dress code article, of Crystal's dress code policy is that I wouldnt be interested in that line. 

51 minutes ago, Harters said:

Thank you. But my understanding, from CC's dress code article, of Crystal's dress code policy is that I wouldnt be interested in that line. 

I was not recommending it.  I was just establishing the food was GREAT.  I don't remember that the difference in dress code was much different than Oceania.  Country club casual.  

Cruise well and enjoy every moment. 

3 hours ago, ak1004 said:

I checked Regent several times. Their pricing doesn't make sense to me. 10 nights in Europe on the newer ships (Splendor and Grandeur) start around $800 USD per night (after air credit) and most sailings are close to $1,000 USD per night or more. O starts around $300-350 per night. I know it's not apples to apples comparison in terms of inclusions, but even SS has many sailings around $500-600 per night, and SB you can get even under $500. I don't think Regent is that much better than SB or SS to justify that kind of price.

Are these per person prices?

4 hours ago, ak1004 said:

Keep in mind that price isn't necessarily an indication of quality but rather of demand related to availability.   For twice the cost, I'd agree it isn't worth the premium even if it was better. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Hanoj said:

Are these per person prices?

Yes.

2 minutes ago, Yesimapirate said:

Keep in mind that price isn't necessarily an indication of quality but rather of demand related to availability.   For twice the cost, I'd agree it isn't worth the premium even if it was better. 

Also it depends on your preferences. The comparison is not exactly apples to apples because Regent includes drinks, gratuities and excursions. But even if you add all the inclusions, there is still a very significant price difference. Plus unlike SS and SB where the standard veranda is larger than O newer ships, this is not the case with Regent - standard veranda on the Grandeur and Splendor is actually smaller than O. So I'm not sure who is paying those prices when SS, SB and Regent are supposed to be in the same category. But I'm asking the same question about Crystal where prices start at $600 USD for 210 sqft OV cabin. And their ships are still 25+ years old even after the refurbishment.

• Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, Yesimapirate said:

True. I am noticing this quite a bit. For Spring 2025, I compared two itineraries for the British Isles. Oceania and Seabourn. We do not  care for ship excursions, so Regent and SS with included excursions aren’t on our radar. This points to preferences in how we all travel. Factoring in all costs, SB was less expensive pp/pd than O. That was an eye opener. I need to dig deeper on some Mediterranean itineraries and see if the same holds true. 

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Harters said:

Crystal is slightly more formal than O, but far from SS. They do have formal nights, but you have some venues where men still don't need jackets. Rest of the nights it's similar to O.

1 minute ago, Vineyard View said:

True. I am noticing this quite a bit. For Spring 2025, I compared two itineraries for the British Isles. Oceania and Seabourn. We do not  care for ship excursions, so Regent and SS with included excursions aren’t on our radar. This points to preferences in how we all travel. Factoring in all costs, SB was less expensive pp/pd than O. That was an eye opener. I need to dig deeper on some Mediterranean itineraries and see if the same holds true. 

Would you mind sharing the itineraries and the cabin categories you compared? SB has some promotions on selected sailings, but I have never seen them being cheaper than O when comparing basic veranda cabins. 

btw, on all our 3 cruises with SS the price was almost the same as O even with the included excursions, so I wouldn't dismiss them.

12 minutes ago, ak1004 said:

Would you mind sharing the itineraries and the cabin categories you compared? SB has some promotions on selected sailings, but I have never seen them being cheaper than O when comparing basic veranda cabins. 

btw, on all our 3 cruises with SS the price was almost the same as O even with the included excursions, so I wouldn't dismiss them.

I am happy to, but if you look at the thread “Lost Credit, how is simply more working for you” it is posted on the first page. I can retype, if you would prefer. Each line has only one sailing in May, 2025. 

Thank you for the  tip on SS. I honestly have not taken a long look at them. 

Edited by Vineyard View

12 minutes ago, Vineyard View said:

I am happy to, but if you look at the thread “Lost Credit, how is simply more working for you” it is posted on the first page. I can retype, if you would prefer. Each line has only one sailing in May, 2025. 

Thank you for the  tip on SS. I honestly have not taken a long look at them. 

Yep, found it, thanks!

I think two reasons to explain it in this case:

First, longer cruises are typically cheaper per day (so 14 nights would be cheaper than 11, all other factors equal).

Second (probably less impact) is that O cruise is on Vista, the newest ship, while SB is on a 13 years old ship. 

But yes, good find, and it proves once again that it's worth to shop around even if it seems like in general one line is significantly more expensive. Regent and Crystal are the only two lines where I was never able to find anything even close to O prices. So they are out of the picture at this point. To me, no cruise is worth $1,500 USD per couple per night. But I'm sure many people will disagree..

7 hours ago, ak1004 said:

They do have formal nights

Yes, it's that general ambiance that that puts me off. Regardless of the fact that I may be able to find some second best option for dinner that night. Just not for us. 

• Like 1

If you enjoy the option of a buffet in the evening then Regent shouldn’t be on your radar. I was worried about the lack of a more informal venue for evening meals before I went on the cruise, and I was right to be concerned. Sette Mari is a nice dining venue, but you can’t just wander in unless you are there at opening or can judge when second sitting will roughly start to take place, the options for the antipasti/mezze don’t really change and the mains seem to be on a 3/4 night rotation. It only utilises half of the buffet area and it’s not really a relaxed venue as a buffet proper would be. 

Regent has taught me that I like the casual and informal nature of The Terrace. I enjoy the choice and the convenience - add to that the pizza venue where Waves is in the evening and it’s a real winner. I know Regent has a more casual eating area outside in the evenings using their pool grill area for the duration of their World Cruise on Mariner, but they really need to bring that back to all their ships.