Is Paris a worthy port?

Sunshinekegger

Are you talking about a ocean cruise  that stops at Le Havre? Or something else?

As frequently discussed here, Le Havre is a good distance away...you will spend 5-6 hours just driving to and from. You get a "drive by" of the key sights, and you return. Only you can determine if that is "worth it" to you. I can definitely say it is far better to spend 3-5 days there touring, staying in Paris.

• Like 2

Whether its worth it is up to the individual.  If you've never been and don't think you will have another chance, even a bus tour might be worth it.  Otherwise, it might be nicer when you can spend more time there.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Sunshinekegger said:

I am wondering if it's worth it to choose a cruise that has Paris listed on it's itinerary since the travel time to and from is a couple hours. Would we even have enough time to do anything of note? Thank you, in advance.

Cruiselines do love these "headline" ports, Rome, Seville  and Florence are others,as these names are the ones which sell,  but they omit to tell passengers the  distances from where the ship will actually port to the "headline" cities. You don't say which year or month you might want to travel, but if this year, keep in mind that Paris is hosting the Olympic Games which could  cause some road closures and/or diversions during that period, plus additional visitors to the city.

Should you not visit Paris, le Havre itself is not terribly attractive, but it is a "gateway" port to a number of interesting/pretty locations in Normandy including the D Day beaches, and Honfleur  so there are alternative sightseeing options.

Here are some previous threads , some of which you could browse for ideas:

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/search/?q=le havre&quick=1&type=forums_topic&nodes=462

• Like 2

So here is an idea for the OP.  Book a cruise that has Le Havre as its last port before heading to the UK for disembarkation.  Request approval, from the cruise line, to debark a day early in Le Havre (we have done this a couple of times).  Then take the train to Paris and spend a few days or even weeks :).  DW considers Paris her favorite city (we have been to far more then 100 countries and many more cities) and yes, it is worth it!  But doing Paris on a one day port day (from Le Havre) is a long day (with 5-6 hours of travel) and does not leave nearly enough time to explore Paris.  

Hank

• Like 1

I agree with Hank (Hiltner): I have been to Paris about 30 times, starting in 1971 when I was stationed in the army in Germany about 5 hours away by train; I have yet to see it all. Don't shortchange yourself.

• Like 2

Hello:

If you have been to Paris on some occasion or plan to go later, do not make such a long trip

If you can start or finish in Le Havre to see it more peacefully, do it.

If there is no other option for whatever reason, you are going to be in Le Havre and want to see Paris, my suggestion is the following:

Go to Paris and choose a boat tour on the Seine. There are a few companies that offer it. They all have the same route (only the starting point changes) and a similar price. There are some that include the boat with food (it is more expensive but can be worth it).
From the boat you will see half of Paris. It is a city oriented towards its river and half of the monuments are there.

If you still have time, wait in line and go up to the 2nd floor of the Eiffel Tower. For me, the views are more interesting from the second floor than from the third.

14 hours ago, Hlitner said:

So here is an idea for the OP.  Book a cruise that has Le Havre as its last port before heading to the UK for disembarkation.  Request approval, from the cruise line, to debark a day early in Le Havre (we have done this a couple of times).  Then take the train to Paris and spend a few days or even weeks :).  DW considers Paris her favorite city (we have been to far more then 100 countries and many more cities) and yes, it is worth it!  But doing Paris on a one day port day (from Le Havre) is a long day (with 5-6 hours of travel) and does not leave nearly enough time to explore Paris.  

Hank

Yes, well worthwhile in those circumstances. You miss only an evening aboard, and get two days in Paris even if you're committed to the same return date.

By booking "multi-city" or "open jaw" flights (has to be the same airline or airline alliance)  a flight from home to London and a return from Paris costs only the same as return tickets to either.🙂

Most cruise lines allow this by prior agreement. some charge a relatively small fee.

But NCL don't permit this 🙁

JB 🙂

Edited by John Bull