How much medical coverage should I get?

I have no idea how to figure out if I should get $50,000, $100,000 etc medical coverage. Can anyone give me some advice? It also asks what date you booked cruise (first  payment date) I have no clue! Does this really matter? TIA 

1 hour ago, Crusin Karen said:

I have no idea how to figure out if I should get $50,000, $100,000 etc medical coverage. Can anyone give me some advice? It also asks what date you booked cruise (first  payment date) I have no clue! Does this really matter? TIA 

Question 1) How much medical? Myself? I'm more comfortable with $100K but your financial situation may be different. What's more important to me though is that I choose a policy that is "Primary". Which means that I only have to file a claim with the travel insurance company. If secondary, then you must file with whomever else you get medical insurance from even if you know it will be declined for whatever reason, you must include the declination when you are finally able to file a claim with the travel insurance.

Question 2) Does it matter when you booked the cruise? Yes, If the policy includes such things as a waiver for pre-existing medical conditions or a rider for Cancel For Any Reason, these things have time limits such that you must purchase the policy within X number of days of initial booking.

klfrodo has explained some of the reasons why getting insurance started in certain time periods could be critical for a claim.  That also helps you decide which policy is/isn't going to work for your needs.

As for when you made the first payment... you have no clue??

Did you use a charge card?  If so, can you look at statements of approximately the time frame?  Other statements if other financial accounts were used?

I'm assuming you didn't walk into some office with a suitcase full of cash...?  And even if you did, doesn't the cruise line have a record of when you paid them?  Doesn't that show up in your records?

GC

• Like 1

1 hour ago, GeezerCouple said:

klfrodo has explained some of the reasons why getting insurance started in certain time periods could be critical for a claim.  That also helps you decide which policy is/isn't going to work for your needs.

As for when you made the first payment... you have no clue??

Did you use a charge card?  If so, can you look at statements of approximately the time frame?  Other statements if other financial accounts were used?

I'm assuming you didn't walk into some office with a suitcase full of cash...?  And even if you did, doesn't the cruise line have a record of when you paid them?  Doesn't that show up in your records?

GC

No because I booked 4. No idea when each was!  And 2 that I’m looking for insurance for are paid up so invoice just says it’s paid in full. But thank you both for your replies. 

Ok I went back in my cc statements and figured it out. One more question: I have cruises booked on CCL 3/25-4/5 and 5/6-5/17 and Princess 9/14 Should I purchase separately or all together?  I’ve heard there’s an “annual” plan. I also have 5/25/25 but that’s over a year out. I’m looking at insure my trip.com. TIA. 

Ok I went back in my cc statements and figured it out. One more question: I have cruises booked on CCL 3/25-4/5 and 5/6-5/17 and Princess 9/14 Should I purchase separately or all together?  I’ve heard there’s an “annual” plan. I also have 5/25/25 but that’s over a year out. I’m looking at insure my trip.com. TIA. 

This comment is not meant to imply any disrespect, but from the questions, I'm assuming that travel insurance is not your lane of expertise.

Your questions are indicative of the complications that is Travel Insurance.

I would highly recommend that you call a broker like InsureMyTrip and actually speak to someone who can answer your questions and guide you to the correct policy that works best for you and your circumstances. InsureMyTrip is a reputable company.

However, me and many others highly recommend Get the Best Trip Insurance Details, Advice (tripinsurancestore.com), but call them at 888-407-3854. Why do we recommend them? Reputation mostly but also because they are always there for you the client. And if something goes FUBAR, they will help get you in the right direction and even help if needed when it comes to claim time.

Neither of these companies cost you any money for their services. Like a travel agent, they earn a commission.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Steve Daseos operates the Trip Insurance Store. A while ago he posted here that the highest medical claim he has ever seen for a traveler outside the US was $74,000. The most expensive medical evacuation he has seen was $127,000 from South Africa to Minnesota. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Insurance needs and wants are an individual decision as are all preferences for travel. I am retired from the healthcare industry and we put a high value on health insurance. My husband and I ALWAYS get:

Medical

Medical Coverage for Covid-19: Included in Emergency Medical
Emergency Medical: $500,000 per person Primary coverage
Pre-Existing Condition: Covered
Medical Deductible: No Medical Deductible

Evacuation

Medical Evacuation & Repatriation: $500,000 per person

Betty

• Thanks 1

One more question! I promise! 🤞I’m deaf so can’t call but I tried Google and live chat with no success. The amount I paid for cruise-does that include port fees/taxes or just cruise fare? TIA! 

One more question! I promise! 🤞I’m deaf so can’t call but I tried Google and live chat with no success. The amount I paid for cruise-does that include port fees/taxes or just cruise fare? TIA! 

The cost of the trip should only include non-refundable costs. So port taxes, fee's should not be included. I also don't include hotels (because I don't pre-pay and can cancel my reservation in an appropriate amount of time), and I also don't include airfare because my airline will either give me a voucher or will just bank my ticket costs towards future travel and insurance won't reimburse if that's the case..

I have had good luck and response time by e-mailing Steve@ tripinsurancestore.com if you want to consider going that route. 

@iamtrustworthy  Maybe you can assist?

On 2/15/2024 at 9:51 AM, Crusin Karen said:

Hi Cruisin Karen,

I'm happy to help you.

I think you might've emailed me last night. If so, I responded to you at 12:21 am Central Time today.

Steve Dasseos

Edited by iamtrustworthy
typo
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, iamtrustworthy said:

Hi Cruisin Karen,

I'm happy to help you.

I think you might've emailed me last night. If so, I responded to you at 12:21 am Central Time today.

Steve Dasseos

Yes and thank you very much!