Best excursions in Bermuda

Ozzieru1e

I’ve been to Bermuda with NCL four times and going again in April.  Generally speaking, I wouldn’t think about doing excursions through NCL in Bermuda.  The island is very easy to navigate on your own. They have a great ferry and bus system, as well as mini busses to local beaches.  They are reasonable, safe and easy to navigate.  Add the fact that you’re there overnight the concerns about missing the boat simply aren’t there.  NCL also has a free ferry to St. George, which is great.  

The only excursions I’ve ever booked through NCL were the transfer to Horseshoe Bay, but only because I was traveling solo and it was free - at least to get there.  The NCL excursion is only for three hours.  That’s not enough time.  I took the NCL bus to the beach and paid the $7 for a mini bus to get back to the ship.  For two people, it’s cheaper to just take the mini bis both ways and it’s cheaper.  I also booked a sunset cruise through the ship, but again it was only cheaper because I was traveling solo.  For more than one it’s probably cheaper to book on your own, or simply show up at the boat on the dock.  

• Like 1

Did NCL Dawn to Bermuda 10 years ago, going back on the Gem this summer.

Agree with others, that there is no need to book through the cruise line.

If you're an early riser, I'd suggest taking a taxi to Horseshoe Bay BEFORE all the buses. Get there nice and early in the morning, and have 1 of the most beautiful beaches in the entire world, almost totally to yourself for up to an hour.  Photos attached.

The Crystal Caves are worth doing, but let's put it this way -- I'm not repeating it.

You dock at the Royal Dockyard.  St. George's is worth seeing, it's a UNESCO World Heritage Site, but we aware it's pretty far from the dockyard --  NCL typically will run their own "free" ferry to St. George's, but it's almost an hour ride each way. 

9681805807_e94a200d93_k.jpg

9681733613_d375686a10_k.jpg

2 hours ago, Russiamomm said:

I’ve been to Bermuda with NCL four times and going again in April.  Generally speaking, I wouldn’t think about doing excursions through NCL in Bermuda.  The island is very easy to navigate on your own. They have a great ferry and bus system, as well as mini busses to local beaches.  They are reasonable, safe and easy to navigate.  Add the fact that you’re there overnight the concerns about missing the boat simply aren’t there.  NCL also has a free ferry to St. George, which is great.  

The only excursions I’ve ever booked through NCL were the transfer to Horseshoe Bay, but only because I was traveling solo and it was free - at least to get there.  The NCL excursion is only for three hours.  That’s not enough time.  I took the NCL bus to the beach and paid the $7 for a mini bus to get back to the ship.  For two people, it’s cheaper to just take the mini bis both ways and it’s cheaper.  I also booked a sunset cruise through the ship, but again it was only cheaper because I was traveling solo.  For more than one it’s probably cheaper to book on your own, or simply show up at the boat on the dock.  

I like the idea of traveling to Horseshoe Bay by local bus.  The NCL excursion limited 3 hours is not enough time to enjoy the beach.  I know there’s a beach within walking distance from the ship but I don’t remember the cost.  I wanted to use the FAS $50 excursion credit but the 2nd person would have to pay full fare.  Thanks for the ideas.

2 hours ago, havoc315 said:

And Horseshoe bay after the crowds started to arrive:

11229313603_444cb3461b_k.jpg

Not an early riser but in the past used NCL bus excursion to Horseshoe Bay Beach.  We arrived early enough to enjoy the beach before the crowd arrived but would have liked more time.  It is a beautiful beach.

Two years ago we took the ferry to Hamilton and did the free walking tour with the town crier.  Ed Christopher (the town crier) seems to know almost everyone in town and almost everything about the neighborhoods.  It's a lot of walking and the streets are not flat or even.

Last year my brother and I toured the Bermuda National Museum right in the dockyard.  Interesting stuff if you are a history buff.

(yes I did the cruise 2 years in a row! something about no flying to the port)

Unless you have OBC that you want to use up, no need to use NCL for the excursions.

Flip

38 minutes ago, Ozzieru1e said:

I like the idea of traveling to Horseshoe Bay by local bus.  The NCL excursion limited 3 hours is not enough time to enjoy the beach.  I know there’s a beach within walking distance from the ship but I don’t remember the cost.  I wanted to use the FAS $50 excursion credit but the 2nd person would have to pay full fare.  Thanks for the ideas.

Not a problem.  Just for clarification there is a difference between the local bus and the minibuses.  The mini uses will be lined up at the pier doing round trips to Horseshoe Bay.  They will aLao be at the beach all day to take you back.  They are $7 per person each way.  There may be a bit of a wait as they wait for the bus to be pretty full before they leave, but it’s never too long of a wait.

There is also a local bus.  But it drops you on the main road, quite a walk to the beach.  It’s all downhill to the beach.  Wouldn’t want to make that hike back up the hill.  LOL.  

That being said, my most memorable day in Bermuda was spent on the local bus.  We took the NCL ferry to St. George.  We did the town, had lunch and we’re ready to go back to the ship.  But it would have been 2 hours till the ferry left.  So we took a local bus.  Took a long time, but we saw the whole island.  Stopped a few times in local times and then kept going.  Ended up in Hamilton, did some shopping then took the local ferry back to Dockside.  It was a fabulous day!  Not sure I want to do it again, but it was a great adventure.  

Edited to add my two cents about Snorkel Beach  - the beach at Dockside.  We went once and walked out after not being able to find a seat.  We demanded a refund which they gave us after a bit of an argument.  It’s a crowded, man-made beach.  While it does have a restaurant and bar, we just didn’t like it.  And the ship is a five minute walk where you have plenty of food and drink.  😂. If you decide to go, certainly don’t take a ship excursion!  You can walk up and pay to get in.  I believe it was $10 a person a few years ago.  That was just for admission.  Chairs and umbrellas are extra, I believe.  You’re much better off going to one of the natural beaches on Bermuda.  They are beautiful and free.

Edited by Russiamomm

2 minutes ago, nordicacres said:

Is there good snorkeling in Bermuda? Or just a beach destination?

I only went snorkeling there once and it was not great.  I have to put two asterisks on this.  I did a catamaran sightseeing/snorkeling/rum punch trip.  We went to a beat up reef right off the island.  I’ve been diving all over the world.  While the trip was fun, the snorkeling was pretty uninspiring.  😂. I understand if you take a purely snorkeling trip that goes further offshore it’s better, but I can’t speak to those trips.

1 hour ago, nordicacres said:

Is there good snorkeling in Bermuda? Or just a beach destination?

I was there 2 years ago with my sister and adult niece & nephew.  My nephew wanted to snorkel and a local recommended Church Bay so we went there.  The beach is very rocky so I wouldn’t go there if swimming is your focus but my nephew had a great time snorkeling.  

19 hours ago, Russiamomm said:

There is also a local bus.  But it drops you on the main road, quite a walk to the beach.  It’s all downhill to the beach.  Wouldn’t want to make that hike back up the hill.  LOL.  

The walk back up is brutal and with kids...  worse.  And the buses have restrictions on what you can carry on if you had your own chairs or whatever.  Sometimes revealing bathing suits unwelcome, also wet ones.

On 2/15/2024 at 8:34 PM, Russiamomm said:

That being said, my most memorable day in Bermuda was spent on the local bus.  

I have to echo that, we took the Bermuda Ferry to St. George and when we were done took a local bus to Hamilton. It was great to see Bermuda and meet the polite Bermudans on the bus, constantly offering me their seat when the bus got full and I stood up for an elderly person.

Then it was the Hamilton Ferry back to the ship. 

• Like 2

Be aware that the local bus is just that, a local bus. It makes many stops on the route from St George to Hamilton and from Hamilton to the Dockyard. So if you are in any kind of a hurry, or going a great distance, I would not suggest it.

We once did it from St George back to the ship ( transfer in Hamilton) and I would not do it again.

2 hours ago, trivia addict said:

Be aware that the local bus is just that, a local bus. It makes many stops on the route from St George to Hamilton and from Hamilton to the Dockyard.

And that id exactly why I loved riding the buses in Bermuda for so many years...until service began to deteriorate badly in the past decade or so.

If you have the time riding the buses is a great way to see parts of Bermuda you might not otherwise get to, and a great way to interact with Bermuda's residents.

• Like 1

To each his own and I’m sure that many agree with you. But I think it is fair to warn others who may prefer more active activities that taking the bus to St George or Hamilton will take up much of their time in port.

On 2/22/2024 at 9:05 AM, Brighton Line said:

I have to echo that, we took the Bermuda Ferry to St. George and when we were done took a local bus to Hamilton. It was great to see Bermuda and meet the polite Bermudans on the bus, constantly offering me their seat when the bus got full and I stood up for an elderly person.

Then it was the Hamilton Ferry back to the ship. 

How much is the ferry, how much is the bus? They take credit cards  I hope?  

1 hour ago, flamingos said:

How much is the ferry, how much is the bus? They take credit cards  I hope?  

I don’t remember the price, not much.  You can buy tickets right by the ferry terminal, also bus passes.  You can’t pay by credit card trying to board the ferry or bus.

• Like 1