Back to berthing in central Venice in 2025?

cruisinclined

Having recently joined the Quest in Chioggia with  some other ships berthing in Fusina I was surprised and relieved to see 2025 Azamara ships returning to Venice.

Not where the Azamara ships used to berth but where mid-sized vessels did in Venezia Terminal.

We have used this terminal with other ships in the past and it is a short vaporetto journey of about 10/15 minutes to St Marks Square. I am speculating that smaller ships are being welcomed back to this more central terminal and doubtless they will arrive and depart from the lagoon and not use the canals in a way which led to the ban on cruise ships originally.

Welcome news for those of us who were put off visiting Venice from other ports like Chioggia with lengthy boat journeys each way. Much easier to access from the airport too.

Edited by Host Jazzbeau
issue is unresolved

At the very well known cruise agency site Azamara ships are shown arriving/departing from Venice not Ghioggia/Fusina next year. In clicking on the Venice shown it led to the Venezia Terminal. This is where many of us have berthed with other lines in the past.

Unless someone  has made an error.

I suspect the ship could actually dock in Marghera but check in is done in Venice Terminal. This was the arrangement for our MSC cruise last year. It worked very well and it much more convenient for the airport and Venice itself than some of the more out of the way docks.

• Like 1

2024 cruises all show Venice-Fusina or Venice-Chioggia. I read the 2025 cruises 'Venice' as 'not sure which port at this point but it will be in the vacinity' 🙂

Cruisemapper currently shows Azamara using Marghera (random search for May 2025)

Edited by Scots Caz
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Nunfa1 said:

I suspect the ship could actually dock in Marghera but check in is done in Venice Terminal. This was the arrangement for our MSC cruise last year. It worked very well and it much more convenient for the airport and Venice itself than some of the more out of the way docks.

So you headed from the airport to Venice Terminal where you checked in and left luggage? How did you then get to Marghera and the ship? What water transportation was then available to visit Venice and how long did it take, which you presumably had to pay for? A lot higher number to move from a larger ship.

1 hour ago, cruisinclined said:

So you headed from the airport to Venice Terminal where you checked in and left luggage? How did you then get to Marghera and the ship? What water transportation was then available to visit Venice and how long did it take, which you presumably had to pay for? A lot higher number to move from a larger ship.

We headed to venice terminal, checked in and left luggage, correct. we were then ferried accross to the ship where we boarded via the tender platforms. This was on MSC Sinfonia with a capacity of 2600px. It worked very smoothly.

The same ferries were used for disembarkation, we had an excursion in the centre before being bussed to the airport. We were taken straight to St Marks Square from the ship, then ferried back to the terminal after the excursion where we collected our luggage and picked up the coach for the airport. 

All worked very well.

• Like 1

I wouldn't even trust it.....sadly, any information from azamara is subject to being a guess, a typo, one person's view.  Have you found any information (independent of Azamara or a TA who is getting their info from Azamara) that confirms that some cruise ships will use the old terminal?  Is any other cruise line showing that they are using the actual Venice terminal in 2025?

• Like 3

21 hours ago, Scots Caz said:

2024 cruises all show Venice-Fusina or Venice-Chioggia. I read the 2025 cruises 'Venice' as 'not sure which port at this point but it will be in the vacinity' 🙂

Cruisemapper currently shows Azamara using Marghera (random search for May 2025)

This makes pefect sense!!

• Host Jazzbeau changed the title to Back to berthing in central Venice in 2025?
  • 2 weeks later...
On 2/17/2024 at 8:19 AM, blag said:

I am not sure how authoritative this is, but it shows that cruise ships will dock in either Port Fusina or Port Marghera.

Thank you, I clicked on Port Marghera above and it shows a berth called New Cruise Port Venezia, which is probably the answer to my question. Marghera is much closer to Venice than Chioggia.

Next is to confirm that Azamara does in fact intend to use this port in 2025.

39 minutes ago, cruisinclined said:

Thank you, I clicked on Port Marghera above and it shows a berth called New Cruise Port Venezia, which is probably the answer to my question. Marghera is much closer to Venice than Chioggia.

Next is to confirm that Azamara does in fact intend to use this port in 2025.

Cruisetimetables and similar sites just scrape publicly available information from the cruise lines' websites.  They have no inside information and I wouldn't base anything serious on information that is not sourced either directly from Azamara or via your own travel agent.

1 hour ago, fruitmachine said:

Cruisetimetables and similar sites just scrape publicly available information from the cruise lines' websites.  They have no inside information and I wouldn't base anything serious on information that is not sourced either directly from Azamara or via your own travel agent.

I doubt that Venice will relax the current restrictions. Overcrowding and environmental reasons are not likely to diminish.

The Port Authority is probably the most definitive source of information. For one, I would not rely on Azamara or a TA.

• Like 3