Time in port

nellydean

Can someone please advise where I can find arrival and departure times for my upcoming Arvia Caribbean cruise, as I am looking at independent excursions at several port (plus, I would just like to know how many hours we are going to be in port!)

Thanks in advance.

Helen

Somewhat difficult with P&O as they only like to give "early morning", "late afternoon" type of times. One way is to look at the port timetables for the ports you are visiting and they may give a more precise time but don't worry about independent excursions because they will be well aware of the times.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, nellydean said:

Can someone please advise where I can find arrival and departure times for my upcoming Arvia Caribbean cruise, as I am looking at independent excursions at several port (plus, I would just like to know how many hours we are going to be in port!)

Thanks in advance.

Helen

You and several thousand other people!!!

Probably the best bet for accurate info is to check out the port websites, I realise that will be fiddly, but although there are so websites that pull together the data for each cruise, but many just follow P&Os early morning late afternoon terminology.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, carlanthony24 said:

P&O don't supply times but some others sites do show them. Can't name them without the post being deleted. You typically get around 8hrs in port if you can tell me date of cruise I can check the site I use.

March 1st.

Just now, terrierjohn said:

You and several thousand other people!!!

Probably the best bet for accurate info is to check out the port websites, I realise that will be fiddly, but although there are so websites that pull together the data for each cruise, but many just follow P&Os early morning late afternoon terminology.

Having cruised quite a lot over the past 25 years, I think P&O are the only line I can recall that don't give the times in and out of port. Weird.

20 hours ago, nellydean said:

Having cruised quite a lot over the past 25 years, I think P&O are the only line I can recall that don't give the times in and out of port. Weird.

No they are not the only ones Cunard are the same. Also if you have cruised with P&O for the past 25 yrs you can remember when they did give port time arrivals and departures. We first cruised with P&O in 2000 and for quiet a few years they used to give times in the brochure.

Edited by majortom10

Bear in mind that if an "independent" tour has an issue (e.g.breakdown*/traffic problems/etc) and does not get you back in time, the ship will sail without you.

Only P&O tours guarantee the ship will wait for you.

I have been on a Caribbean tour where the bus had a blow-out. The driver mended it himself and we got back O.K. (P&O Tour), but the Caribbean can be very lay-back regarding issues!

1 hour ago, majortom10 said:

No they are not the only ones Cunard are the same. Also if you have cruised with P&O for the past 25 yrs you can remember when they did give port time arrivals and departures. We first cruised with P&O in 2000 and for quiet a few years they used to give times in the brochure.

Have only cruised with P&O about 4 times in the 25 years, 2 or 3 from 2014 and once last year so, no, I don't remember the times being given. But I was really referring to last year, when they weren't given. Much prefer it when they are (beforehand, I mean).

41 minutes ago, david63 said:

And then when the ship did not adhere to those times, for whatever reason, passengers complained

Yes I'm sure some would but you can't legislate for those who can't see that unforeseen events are always a possibility - weather, mechanical issues, emergencies, port movements, local issues.  In any event there are always disclaimers in the T&C's. 

Why worry about narrow minded, egocentric thinkers?  Can someone be expected to be taken seriously if you've just travelled through a Force 9 and arrive 3 hours late and complains?   Or objects to a Medivac.  Such people don't deserve any consideration imo.  I'd just be pleased to be safe! 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, nellydean said:

Have only cruised with P&O about 4 times in the 25 years, 2 or 3 from 2014 and once last year so, no, I don't remember the times being given. But I was really referring to last year, when they weren't given. Much prefer it when they are (beforehand, I mean).

No they haven't given port times for a few years well before pandemic but they used to do it in their brochures for many years and the stopped it for 2 reasons 1) to encourage people to book P&O excursions rather than independently 2) because if they didn't arrive at time stated in brochure many people complained at reception and demanding compensation for breech of contract.

On 2/16/2024 at 6:56 PM, carlanthony24 said:

P&O don't supply times but some others sites do show them. Can't name them without the post being deleted. You typically get around 8hrs in port if you can tell me date of cruise I can check the site I use.

I am trying to find out what time Iona sails from Funchal on March 12th but none of the Funchal port sites actually show the departure time. We are going to Reid’s for afternoon tea and don’t want to rush it. I would be very grateful if you could help. Thanks

I've emailed P&O customer service in the past and got arrival and departure times, though with the caveat that they could change. 

Sandancer, in the past Funchal has been 9.30 aboard for 10pm sailaway on the standard Canaries/Madeira route, but on repositioning it's 5.30 for 6pm. Does it say 'early evening'?

3 minutes ago, sandancer said:

I am trying to find out what time Iona sails from Funchal on March 12th but none of the Funchal port sites actually show the departure time. We are going to Reid’s for afternoon tea and don’t want to rush it. I would be very grateful if you could help. Thanks

Madeira departure is normally about 5:00pm with all onboard time 4 :30, since it's a full nights cruise to Tenerife.

1 minute ago, terrierjohn said:

Madeira departure is normally about 5:00pm with all onboard time 4 :30, since it's a full nights cruise to Tenerife.

Goes to show you can't assume - three different times we've experienced between us. Maybe it's earlier on the bigger ships? Anyway, a cab back from Reid's shouldn't take long so as long as you book a sensible time you should be OK. Loads of other diners will be going back to the ship. 

carlanthony24 was very helpful when I was looking for times.  I think this is the site used.

Timings are there - but with the usual caveat - may not be correct and/or may be subject to change due to unforeseen issues. Since there are 3 sea days to follow, it would seem unnecessary to sail much earlier.  Hope it helps.

2nd Mar 2024

Southampton, United Kingdom (more information)

18:00

3rd Mar 2024

At Sea

4th Mar 2024

At Sea

5th Mar 2024

Lisbon, Portugal (more information)

08:00

6th Mar 2024

Lisbon, Portugal

15:00

7th Mar 2024

Cadiz (Tours To Seville)

09:00

8th Mar 2024

At Sea

9th Mar 2024

Arrecife De Lanzarote, Spain (more information)

19:00

10th Mar 2024

Gran Canaria, Spain (more information)

19:00

11th Mar 2024

Tenerife, Spain (more information)

17:00

12th Mar 2024

Madeira, Portugal (more information)

08:30

13th Mar 2024

At Sea

14th Mar 2024

At Sea

15th Mar 2024

At Sea

16th Mar 2024

Southampton, United Kingdom

06:00

• Like 1

Thanks a lot. If departure is 18.00 then all onboard should be 17.30. The earliest time for tea is 3pm giving us 2.5 hours which I’m sure is fine. I’ve checked the  times for the ships tour and it leaves at 1.30 for a 2.5 hour tour. This includes a sightseeing tour before arrival at Reid’s. It’s a bucket list event for me so fingers crossed we make it. 

• Like 2