Todays CCL Stock Price is down

mcrcruiser

7 hours ago, chisoxfan said:

My point was that I get the OBC also without any risk. So in that sense have an infinite ROI. 

The value of CCL is in the eye of the beholder but the question was if it was worth buying (and holding for OBC) and my only comment would be that a stock should be purchased because one believes in the soundness of the business.

Understand your point.  Mine is that I am not doing what many consider "scamming" the system.  Plus, why bother with the buying and selling - its not a great deal of money, and I cruise often.

50 minutes ago, CNSJ said:

Understand your point.  Mine is that I am not doing what many consider "scamming" the system.  Plus, why bother with the buying and selling - its not a great deal of money, and I cruise often.

I guess my middle name should be 'scammer'. Does CCL say you need to own stock for x days to get OBC? If I buy and hold for two weeks is that legit? One month? Since CCL management sells shares frequently that they pay little or nothing for I am not going to confession because I bought and sold CCL stock for the 'minimal' OBC offered. To date I haven't stolen any towels or bath soaps, but have been eyeing the laundry bags.☺️

1 hour ago, CNSJ said:

Plus, why bother with the buying and selling - its not a great deal of money, and I cruise often.

Define “not a lot of money” Swing traders made a fortune on cruise stocks during the “great cruise comeback.” This industry is as volatile as they come. 

7 hours ago, IAcruising said:

Yes, but that's not the point of the thread. The OP's question is whether you'd buy it for the OBC, not as a long-term investment for retirement, or whatever.

And what does being a ship's master have anything to do with it?

Things are more complicated than that! 😶

Someone with a finance education would tell you that there is capital risk whenever you buy any part of a company (equity, options, debt). Pax have bought CCL at $60. Anticipating that there would be a profit, while reaping dividends and OBC. How can you lose???

Well, turns out that they did. Is it safe to buy at $15, or could the price fall further? Could there be another black swan event?

At this point, the industry is in a shaky position. I would not confuse the investment with the cruising decision.

At $5, the conglomerate would be bought for its salvage value. Not for OBC.

Here's what I'm interested in. Is there anyone who can offer insights into the life cycle of the industry? Floating resorts and smaller luxury ships appear to have strong market appeal. What about the large middle part?

That's why someone in the industry might be able to offer guidance. Perhaps, they have heard or read something from the professionals.

Do you have anything to offer us?

21 minutes ago, HappyInVan said:

Therefore, I have to be careful to make suitable recommendations.

You're under no obligations to make any recommendations on this forum. That's especially true considering the question at hand---which is would you purchase the stock to get the OBC. 

As someone who spent more than a few years taking 3 cruises over 14 days each year, getting CCL OBC---$750 after tax income each year (not to mention the dividends paid)---you can bet your cruise budget that if I had it to do over again, even with where CCL is at today financially, I sure would. 

• Like 5

2 hours ago, RuthC said:

As someone who spent more than a few years taking 3 cruises over 14 days each year, getting CCL OBC---$750 after tax income each year (not to mention the dividends paid)---you can bet your cruise budget that if I had it to do over again, even with where CCL is at today financially, I sure would. 

Of course, Ruth. You're a  veteran frequent cruiser. The OBC program works for you.

What about the novice cruiser who has never purchased stock directly? They may be tempted by the enthusiasm on this forum. How can we lose? 😁

I would caution them (as an experienced finance guy) that the industry is in a weakened and vulnerable state. Our investors could lose it all during another back swan event in the next two years. That buying CCL is a gamble. Can they afford the loss?

Edited by HappyInVan

For me, the 100 shares of CCL stock is "chump change". I've been meaning to get these shares for years and finally got off my butt and bought them a few weeks ago. Already got my $100 OBC for our March cruise and will get $250 for our Oct cruise. If I had gotten motivation earlier I could have had our previous cruises covered. 

If your portfolio is going to be at risk for 100 shares of CCL then you probably shouldn't be cruising. 

• Like 6

56 minutes ago, foodsvcmgr said:

Or investing either if +/- $1500 is a catastrophic loss……. 

Like the US debt, a billion there and a billion over there and now you are talking real money. 😜

The question is whether it is a good investment (CCL) for somebody based on OBC they anticipate. For some it is and perhaps for those that bought in at 40 or 60 dollars it was not so good.  I have heard many arguments that a new product/ subscription is only 50cents a day or whatever. Just because I can afford it doesn't make it a smart investment.  JMHO

• Like 1

12 hours ago, dogo88 said:

For me, the 100 shares of CCL stock is "chump change". I've been meaning to get these shares for years and finally got off my butt and bought them a few weeks ago. Already got my $100 OBC for our March cruise and will get $250 for our Oct cruise. If I had gotten motivation earlier I could have had our previous cruises covered. 

If your portfolio is going to be at risk for 100 shares of CCL then you probably shouldn't be cruising. 

This ^

I would add that if you consider buying 100 shares a significant financial risk, you might consider getting out of the market entirely.

TBills are paying over 5%. Zero risk and federally tax free income. 

Ps- Michael Bayley  sold over 11 thousand shares of RCL today. At over $115 share you can do the math.

3EF5BB52-D91D-4B75-9F62-B1EDBC774AFB.jpeg

Edited by BermudaBound2014
  • Like 1

On 2/16/2024 at 2:39 PM, mcrcruiser said:

Would you buy CCL stock at this price in the $14.80s range to get the CCL on board credit for your cruises ?

If you do decide to buy Carnival Corp., I suggest that you buy CUK instead of CCL. It is virtually the same thing, with about an 8.5% discount. I bought mine for the OBC.

Imo the stock will go up again . The  danger is bad news about their debt , interest rates staying high  etc  .Otherwise  I would buy the 100 shares for the On board credit if you cruise frequently . Remember  get $50  for under 7 days ,7to 14 day cruise get  $100  & 14 days or longer you get $250 in On board Credit by submitting  the proper info to  Stockperks  .Certainly the price is very reasonable at this level 

10 minutes ago, oldgringo said:

If you do decide to buy Carnival Corp., I suggest that you buy CUK instead of CCL. It is virtually the same thing, with about an 8.5% discount. I bought mine for the OBC.

Good point  .