Champagne on NCL Gem- currently on a 3-day cruise

We upgraded to the premium plus package because I drink a lot of water and wanted the option to bring bottles back to the room.  My husband loves Starbucks coffee.  We both enjoy top shelf liquor and premium wine, so it made sense for us to upgrade.  

There’s been a lot of discussion around the champagne that’s on board, and there are people who are upset about the changes to the premium plus drink package, particularly whether Veuve Cliquot is available by the glass.  I just wanted to share what I discovered on NCL Gem, we’re currently docked at Key West and will dock at Great Stirrup Caye tomorrow.

The Veuve and Moet Chandon are both available by the bottle in bars ship wide, BUT Veuve is available by the glass in Le Bistro only.  

All other bars served Pommery Rose brut, which I have to say isn’t all that bad.  We each had two glasses with lunch yesterday.  

There was also a Norwegian brand extra dry Prosecco that we tried today and it was actually quite good.

Be aware though, even with the premium plus package, while on US soil, taxes are levied on alcohol and Starbucks coffee.  We ended up paying $2.50 for our rose which wasn’t a big deal but was unexpected.  

We’re having dinner at Le Bistro tonight, so will report back about the Veuve situation, I plan on getting at least two glasses!IMG_2030.thumb.jpeg.13d67735defbcbafe187c17f552e3ee2.jpegIMG_2007.thumb.jpeg.e295e4f09a56b7e563f1489c95065753.jpegIMG_2006.thumb.jpeg.6860522ad1f5d4d7895c0e1b80746254.jpegIMG_2005.thumb.jpeg.9efa31c58f18a3b4772dc0725b60a8b5.jpeg

• Like 3
  • Thanks 4

2 hours ago, www3traveler said:

Could someone post who the Beverage Manager and Assistant Beverage Manager are??  Please and Thank You.

Oh shoot I saw that info on the daily yesterday but threw it out this morning.  I’ll see if I can find out for you

• Like 1

This is VERY helpful, especially the MDR wine menu. I really appreciate you taking the time to post those! (If you have any other wine menus from other venues, please share them). Signed, a fellow champagne and fine wine lover. 🙂

• Like 1

I keep reading about being charged a tax for alcohol ordered prior to leaving port. So, let me get this clear.... in Port Canaveral, we have the drink package and if we board early and go to a bar to have a cocktail, we will be charged a tax , on top of our purchased drink package, because it is prior to departure from the port ? If so, is it all ports?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, kittymamma said:

I keep reading about being charged a tax for alcohol ordered prior to leaving port. So, let me get this clear.... in Port Canaveral, we have the drink package and if we board early and go to a bar to have a cocktail, we will be charged a tax , on top of our purchased drink package, because it is prior to departure from the port ? If so, is it all ports?

All I can say is that I sailed Epic out of Port Canaveral in mid January and was not charged tax on drinks before sail away. YMMV

• Like 1

10 hours ago, moviegal said:

This is VERY helpful, especially the MDR wine menu. I really appreciate you taking the time to post those! (If you have any other wine menus from other venues, please share them). Signed, a fellow champagne and fine wine lover. 🙂

Darn it I didn’t take pictures of other menus.  Are you going on the Gem specifically?  I can  post some from the Breakaway I’ll be on in three weeks.  

• Like 1

On 2/19/2024 at 9:48 AM, zqvol said:

All I can say is that I sailed Epic out of Port Canaveral in mid January and was not charged tax on drinks before sail away. YMMV

Interesting! I’ll be sailing on the Breakaway in two weeks out of NOLA so will see what the situation is there.  Thanks!  

On 2/18/2024 at 12:15 PM, www3traveler said:

Could someone post who the Beverage Manager and Assistant Beverage Manager are??  Please and Thank You.

Hey I actually did find this info!  I’m attaching the photo I took of a daily from Day 2 and on the front it has all the officers info!IMG_2025.thumb.png.dd5b375b1e2285df16c63dfa32530af2.png

31 minutes ago, FLAHAM said:

I was on this cruise and got Veuve Cliquot by the glass in both Cagney’s and Le Bistro.

That’s cool!  I didn’t know about Cagney’s because we couldn’t get a reservation there.  

22 minutes ago, jamin jul said:

Is the tax charge just US ports and not Mexico ports?

The tax charge is on embarkation day at the US port. I have been charged in Miami, Los Angeles and Seattle. Don't remember about Port Canaveral. There is typically a sign on the bar stating the tax will be charged. It's less than a dollar per drink and I don't even really notice it.