What do you do with belongings on the beach

Irule7

Typically we go cruising as a family, so one person watches the bags while the other swim and then swap.  This next cruise it’s just my husband and I, so it got me thinking that we can’t both be in the water at the same time.  Does anyone have any tips or advice on this?  What do you do with your belongings?  We will be in Bimini and Grand Cayman doing beach days on our next cruise.

I saw an add for this little bag that locks essentials like your phone and cash etc onto beach loungers etc. it was pretty interesting. I usually travel with not much of value to places like the beach and then use a waterproof pouch for the things of value like phone, cards, and cash.

1 hour ago, Irule7 said:

Typically we go cruising as a family, so one person watches the bags while the other swim and then swap.  This next cruise it’s just my husband and I, so it got me thinking that we can’t both be in the water at the same time.  Does anyone have any tips or advice on this?  What do you do with your belongings?  We will be in Bimini and Grand Cayman doing beach days on our next cruise.

Only take what you can keep on your person at ALL times - or are willing to lose.  Your cruise card, license or other ID, credit card, and cash will all fit in a small waterproof plastic pouch in your pocket or bra. Your towel, shoes and shirt are highly unlikely to attract thieves.

If you must bring stuff with you, go to the beach with others and have one of them always watching your stuff.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

While I don't disagree with the other comments, in most cases on cruise beach days, many of the others there are likely also from your ship, or perhaps guests at whatever resort the beach is at, so I guess the worry would be that fellow passengers or other vacationing guests are looking to steal your things.  LOL  Haven't been to Bimini but Grand Cayman is pretty secure.

We also never take anything more than is needed that is then placed in a container in a zipper pouch in our closed beach bag which typically remains in our sight from the water.  In 32 years we have never had anything missing or taken on beach days while on a cruise. Maybe we've just been fortunate.

Edited by leaveitallbehind
  • Thanks 1

The advantage of not having the whole family with you is that you don’t need to carry all of their “stuff”.  Pare it down to a minimum.  There are good waterproof phone cases that can also hold credit card and cash.  We found out that cash was most important after my husband blew out his shoes on a beach that didn’t take credit cards.  He purchased a pair of water shoes, tipped the tour guide, and bought one beer for both of us to share.

We take a beach bag with towels, snorkel masks, sunscreen, bottles of water.  I have a water wallet with our ids, cruise cards,  credit card, and cash which I tuck into the top.of my swim suit.  My husband has a waterproof camera.  We leave our phones on the ship.

Thanks for the info about the waterproof pouches.  That sounds like a great option.  We don’t usually take a lot of valuables, just thinking about cruise cards, cash, small stuff.  

6 minutes ago, Irule7 said:

....just thinking about cruise cards, cash, small stuff.  

Which, with the exception of the cash, is not usually of any interest to anyone else as they have no real value.  (If you were to lose your ship cards security at the ship would be able to obtain replacements so you can reboard).

But the waterproof pouches are a good fix.