Travel vests for security

My cruise starts in Barcelona with pre-cruise days, and ends in Rome.  I would like to buy a cruise vest with inside pockets to protect against pickpockets.  The ScotteVests are WAYYYYY to much money.  I will probably only use this vest once or twice.  Can someone recommend a brand that isn't as expensive but is still a good protection?  Amazon seems to carry alot of "Little Donkey"?   Not sure how good they are but they average about $40 Vs. like $179.  Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Don't go cheap, make sure it has what you need and is well built.  Nothing worse than buy-in cheap and paying twice for it.

BTW on our recent cruise we heard many stories of people getting things lifted from my ship.  Not sure if it was the demographics or what.       Even I lost something, luckily it was replaceable, my backup phone, thank god they lifted the "wrong" one.   

Edited by chipmaster

Posted (edited)

First, what do you need to carry /protect?  What size stuff?  

Second, what season?  If you'd need a light jacket anyway, many jackets come with interior pockets -- my everyday Lands End jacket has a deep velcro pocket intended for a phone /a smaller pocket for cash.  

Edited by Mum2Mercury

• 1 month later...

If you can get your hands on an ExOfficio FlyQ vest, they’re very nice and the price is much better.  Unfortunately, in a bone-headed move ExOfficio discontinued most of their clothing line so finding one in the size you need is the challenge.  My FlyQ vest is good as new after months of travel to five continents.  Solid quality, comfort, and plenty of pockets and features.  Love it. 

• 3 weeks later...

We use a camera backpack that has one of the openings that is against your back, if wearing on your back, or against your chest if you are wearing in front of you.

Most people have things to carry other than the wallet and passport, so the backpack comes in handy, and if you put your valuables in the "backdoor" pocket where the camera gear is intended to go, it is safe unless they lift your entire backpack from you.