Prices for wifi, casual dining, etc.

mamafun

I've tried searching the forum, but having trouble collecting the info I'm looking for.  I am currently booking our first cruise in 24(!) years, on Ruby Princess in November.  I am 90% sure we will be taking advantage of the Plus or Premium packages, but I want to price everything out to make the final decision.  Is there anywhere I can find the ala carte pricing for the individual components?  The Princess website doesn't seem to have a place where you can clearly compare costs, or I'm missing it. 

Looking for prices on wifi, casual dining, and specialty dining, I think I have the info I need on crew appreciation, OceanNow, beverages, and room service.  Thanks in advance!

Welcome to Cruise Critic!  Have you downloaded the Princess app?  Most of what you may be looking for *should* be located there.  I can tell you this...if you are even just a very moderate drinker, plan to use WiFi and will be paying the crew gratuities, then *many* people find that they come out ahead with the Plus package.  We do...and we're really not heavy drinkers at all.

Oh duh!  I didn't think about the app, was just looking through the website.  Thanks - I will check there.  I am very, very sure we will come out ahead with the package, but want to have "evidence" to show my husband.  Ha ha

The casual dining venues are $14.99 per person, plus an automatically added 18% gratuity for their 3 course menu. The items on the menu can also be purchased a la carte, in most cases, and are also subject to the gratuity add on. The wifi increased in price recently. Others can double check me on this, but I believe for those not platinum and elite, the cost is $24.99 per day for a single device plan. The lattes etc are about $4 per drink, and then also add the 18%. We are not serious drinkers, maybe two alcoholic beverages a day, but we are serious espresso based beverage drinkers, and also like having bottled water on demand. My math for value depends upon the ship, the itinerary, the class of cabin we book. For instance, it we have a suite on a Royal Class, we have no reason for any package, as we can get unlimited bottled water and lattes in the Concierge Lounge, and they have a happy hour for two hours every evening, and the alcohol is "free". We do not need any adult beverages beyond that. On the other hand, if we are spending a lot of time on the ship, and have a balcony cabin, we might find the plus or premiere becomes a good deal, as we will indulge in "non comped Lattes" and a few adult beverages a day, and can then also take advantage of the included casual dining venues at no additional charge. I "math" it out for every cruise. 

Wifi. $25/day one device unlimited use. 50% discount if you are platinum or elite loyalty level.

Daily crew appreciation/pp $18 full suite, $17mini suite, $16 all others

Casual dining $14.99

Specialty dining $35, $39 depending on the restaurant. See dining guide below.

Ocean Now one time fee $14.99. Covers delivery anywhere on board including your cabin. Without the plus or premier fare there is a $5 charge if you order room service by phone.

Non alcoholic beverages such as sodas around $3. Specialty coffees around $4/$5. Coffee is free in the buffet, DR and room service. No charge for ice tea, lemonade. Regular juices are no charge during breakfast hours.

Alcoholic beverages range from around $7 for beers $12 for standard cocktails including some back shelf cocktails, around $8 for straight spirits. Some better wines and special whiskeys are over $15. Around 90% of all alcoholic beverages on board are $15 and under.

Basically if you consume around 3 alcoholic beverages/pp/day you break even.

https://www.princess.com/content/dam/princess/corporate/pdfs/restaurants-dining-venues-on-board.pdf.coredownload.inline.pdf 

Edited by skynight
  • Like 4

Thank you!  This is all so helpful.  And it made me think of another question.  The package descriptions say "complimentary room service."  Does that mean room service is free, or only the room service delivery is free?

I guess the same question for OceanNow.  Is it only the delivery that is free, or the food/drink you order?  

I've done some math and will definitely be getting one of the packages - just want to make sure I understand it correctly.  Thanks again!

Just some additional cost info if you liked sodas or bottled waters. Based on our most recent cruise at New Year's final tab with gratuity for canned sodas was $2.95, fountain sodas were $2.50 and bottled water was $1.75.

6 minutes ago, mamafun said:

Thank you!  This is all so helpful.  And it made me think of another question.  The package descriptions say "complimentary room service."  Does that mean room service is free, or only the room service delivery is free? If you have the standard fare the first time you use Ocean Now you will incur a charge of $14.99. It's a one time charge. With Ocean Now using the app you can order for delivery anywhere on board including your cabin. You are located by your medallion. There is a charge for some food items. Example chocolate covered strawberries. There are many food items that the is no additional charge. 

I guess the same question for OceanNow.  Is it only the delivery that is free, or the food/drink you order? 

Ocean Now is an app program. It's a one time charge of $14.99 if you have the standard fare. The charge is covered with the plus/premier fares

I've done some math and will definitely be getting one of the packages - just want to make sure I understand it correctly.  Thanks again!

See above

Edited by skynight

On 2/19/2024 at 2:36 PM, mamafun said:

I've tried searching the forum, but having trouble collecting the info I'm looking for.  I am currently booking our first cruise in 24(!) years, on Ruby Princess in November.  I am 90% sure we will be taking advantage of the Plus or Premium packages, but I want to price everything out to make the final decision.  Is there anywhere I can find the ala carte pricing for the individual components?  The Princess website doesn't seem to have a place where you can clearly compare costs, or I'm missing it. 

Looking for prices on wifi, casual dining, and specialty dining, I think I have the info I need on crew appreciation, OceanNow, beverages, and room service.  Thanks in advance!

1. Wi-Fi is $24.99 per person per             day for one device.

2. casual dining is $14.99 plus 18%service charge per person per meal. 
3. Crew appreciation is charged at $16-$18 per person per room depending on cabin. 
4. Ocean now requires a $14.99 one time fee plus service charge. 
5. Room service has a fee of $5 per item If ordered on your stateroom

phone.

6. speciality dining runs $30-$39 per person per night. 
7. beverages packages run from 

A.  Soda package is $14.99 plus 

Service charge 

B. Zero alcohol package is $29.99.  

Plus service charge

C. Plus drink package is $64.99 

Plus service charge. 
   D. Premier drink package is 

$84.99 plus service charge. 
8. Premium desserts are $12.00

9. Fitness classes are $10.00 each 

10. The juice bar runs $8-$10 

this is all US funds. 

• Like 1

These are my prices for a 16 day cruise with PLUS (take number and divide by 16 to get daily rate).  I am also in a suite so the crew appreciation is slightly more. I've redacted Passenger 2 to clean up the image.

Add:

Ocean Now one time delivery for $14.99 IF you don't have the package. 

$10 for Medallion shipping (free with PLUS). 

AND 2 casual dinner options for, I think, around $15 ($14.99).

Sorry if you have to click on the PDF...don't know how to add just image.  Of course, these are "OVER" inflated costs.  

Others have said that if you are considering:

Crew Appreciation + wifi, then the Plus is worth it since you will only have to "use up" a minimal amount of drinks (coffee/soda/water/alcoholic beverage.

I may purchase PLUS on a short 7 day cruise (why not) but may not on a port intensive itinerary.  Bottom line....just makes life easier to have PLUS or PREMIER.  And this is coming from an Elite member who would get 50% off of wifi if I choose not to buy PLUS. 

Think how much I would be saving (aka Sheldon Cooper).

Plus package copy.pdf

Edited by cr8tiv1
  • Like 1

30 minutes ago, cruise4mom said:

3. Crew appreciation is charged at $16-$18 per person per room depending on cabin. 

phone.

Service charge 

Plus service charge

Plus service charge. 

this is all US funds. 

cruise4mom, good information.

@mamafun  Do not confuse C & D for the Princess Plus and Princess Premier. They are totally different.

Guest Snaxmuppet
4 hours ago, cruise4mom said:

phone.

Service charge 

Plus service charge

Plus service charge. 

this is all US funds. 

You speak of a "service charge" on some of these items... what is that? I have not heard of any service charge being added for any of them 🙂 

8 hours ago, Snaxmuppet said:

You speak of a "service charge" on some of these items... what is that? I have not heard of any service charge being added for any of them 🙂 

If you choose to eat at one of the "Casual" venues and your meal is not covered by a package you will pay $14.99 & 18% service charge so your bill will be $17.69. I hope this helps!

Guest Snaxmuppet
10 minutes ago, jean-lynd said:

If you choose to eat at one of the "Casual" venues and your meal is not covered by a package you will pay $14.99 & 18% service charge so your bill will be $17.69. I hope this helps!

Sorry but that is not a service charge. That is ordering outside the package.

There are no service charges that I know of.

1 minute ago, Snaxmuppet said:

You are correct - if you order within the package there are no "service charges" - if you order outside of the package there are additional "service charges". The original poster was stating the prices of items if you don't have a package.

20 minutes ago, Snaxmuppet said:

This is from the drink package description. It's the 18% gratuity.

"The Plus Beverage Package is US $64.99 per day plus 18% service charge (totaling $76.70 per day) ".

• Thanks 1

13 hours ago, nasa1974 said:

cruise4mom, good information.

@mamafun  Do not confuse C & D for the Princess Plus and Princess Premier. They are totally different.

They are also what I call fake marketing prices since no one would ever purchase them in their right minds.  They make the package seem super valuable, but folks just need to pencil it out as mentioned in a number of posts.

Guest Snaxmuppet
1 hour ago, nasa1974 said:

This is from the drink package description. It's the 18% gratuity.

"The Plus Beverage Package is US $64.99 per day plus 18% service charge (totaling $76.70 per day) ".

That is different in the UK. AFAIK The UK price doesn't have that 18% added

1 hour ago, Steelers36 said:

They are also what I call fake marketing prices since no one would ever purchase them in their right minds.  They make the package seem super valuable, but folks just need to pencil it out as mentioned in a number of posts.

For me if I purchased a package from Princess the only deal is the Princess Plus and Princess Premier. Not the Plus drink package or the Premier drink package. It's like comparing apples to watermelons. As other people have said "you need to choose what is right for you and do the math".

Hi there! I have my first cruise in a long while (and my wife's first) coming up in June and been running the same math 🙂 I ended up coming to the same conclusion that plus was the way to go. Once I compared it to the price of the soda package, crew appreciation, dining at Alfredo's once or twice, fancy coffee (wife loves white chocolate mochas) the savings of not doing plus were less and less. 

• Like 2