Carnival Your Time Dining vs. traditional Set Time Dining

Posted (edited)

On one of our recent cruises on the Spirit we had early seating and were 5-10 min late the first night. We were there, but stuck in the line that always forms on the first night as they walk everyone to their tables. We had one other couple at our table. Our waitstaff had already taken their order and their apps showed up a few min after we sat down. The staff was great and kept track of everything, we were just a course behind them. 

It happened to the other couple one other night, they were a little bit late (<15min) and the same thing happened, so I don't think it was just a first night occurrence. 

So maybe it depends on your waitstaff if they wait or not for someone that's late. 

Edited by mikayla73

On 2/23/2024 at 12:08 PM, Nic6318 said:

Hi

Yes. You can check in whenever you want (through the app), and go to the dining room when your table is ready. The app lets you see approximately how long the wait would be, so if there is a longer wait time (sometimes on the "elegant nights), you just have to adjust the time you check in. There is no requirement to wait in any sort of line. 

Sure, but if I check-in I'm hungry and that's when I want to eat. It's like going to Olive Garden, if there is a wait, I don't stay.

• Like 1

We just got back from an 8 night Carnival cruise, we did the anytime dining. It was convenient for our large group of 10 because we could checkin with the app and wait in a lounge with drinks until ready. I will add we always would checkin on the app as soon as the app opened for dinner which was 5:30. However when a couple wanted to go at a different time, the app was annoying. There was a time we went for breakfast in the main dining room, the place was empty and no one waiting around. They simply would not seat us because the app had not assigned us a table number yet (it was delayed and glitchy). Even they (the staff) complained because it prevented them from seating us. You had to keep exiting the screen and go back in because there was no ‘refresh’. Many times they didn’t know where the table number was and we’d get a tour of the entire dining room. Also every time our group of 10 checked in, they would try to seat us at a table for 8 instead. Also, they made us order dessert at the same time as our main meal. On other lines we are used to them asking AFTER we’ve eaten dinner.

14 hours ago, ChinaShrek said:

Sure, but if I check-in I'm hungry and that's when I want to eat. It's like going to Olive Garden, if there is a wait, I don't stay.

This is why we don't select YTD and we always select an assigned seating.  When we cruise, we adjust our meals throughout the day, so we are ready for dinner at our assigned time.  The app gives YTD guests freedom to still do things around the ship without standing in line like days gone by.  

Posted (edited)
14 hours ago, RDJ said:

We just got back from an 8 night Carnival cruise, we did the anytime dining. It was convenient for our large group of 10 because we could checkin with the app and wait in a lounge with drinks until ready. I will add we always would checkin on the app as soon as the app opened for dinner which was 5:30. However when a couple wanted to go at a different time, the app was annoying. There was a time we went for breakfast in the main dining room, the place was empty and no one waiting around. They simply would not seat us because the app had not assigned us a table number yet (it was delayed and glitchy). Even they (the staff) complained because it prevented them from seating us. You had to keep exiting the screen and go back in because there was no ‘refresh’. Many times they didn’t know where the table number was and we’d get a tour of the entire dining room. Also every time our group of 10 checked in, they would try to seat us at a table for 8 instead. Also, they made us order dessert at the same time as our main meal. On other lines we are used to them asking AFTER we’ve eaten dinner.

They've been taking dessert orders at the same time as everything else on the last few cruises we've been on. I'm fine with it. It keeps dinner rolling and there's no delay in waiting for dessert when your done with your main. I'm sure it makes it easier for the waitstaff too, especially if someone wants something extra like PB with WCMC. They can grab it when it's convenient and have it ready when it's time for dessert.

Edited by mikayla73

2 minutes ago, mikayla73 said:

They've been taking dessert orders at the same time as everything else on the last few cruises we've been on. I'm fine with it. It keeps dinner rolling and there's no delay in waiting for dessert when your done with your main. I'm sure it makes it easier for the waitstaff too, especially if someone wants something extra like PB with WCMC. They can grab it when it's convenient and have it ready when it's time for dessert.

We’ve been on 16 cruises (not typically carnival) and this was a first for us. I suppose next time we can say sorry we aren’t ready to order that yet. It seems like a waste because I don’t know if I have room for dessert at the beginning lol!

• Like 1

In that case, I'd just tell them when you're done with your main that you don't want dessert. I've also changed my mind and wanted something else after ordering dessert and it wasn't an issue. They may still accommodate your request to order dessert later if you ask.

Forgive my ignorance here but it seems you need to reserve a time for Your Time Dining via the app rather than just turn up and wait; is that correct? Also, can you make a request for table sizes? There will just be two of us but we're more than happy to share; in fact we'd prefer to sit with others and talk about the day!

1 hour ago, vwgolf2 said:

Forgive my ignorance here but it seems you need to reserve a time for Your Time Dining via the app rather than just turn up and wait; is that correct? Also, can you make a request for table sizes? There will just be two of us but we're more than happy to share; in fact we'd prefer to sit with others and talk about the day!

You are correct. You place yourself in the virtual queue on the Hub App. Very easy. The App also tells you how long the wait is at that point in time. We used it each morning for breakfast and dinner in the Main Dining Room. Never had more than a 15-20 minute wait on the app, which was almost always shorter.

When you check in, you tell the app who from your party is dining and whether you want a table for just you or with others.

When your table is ready, you get an alert on the Hub app that gives you your table number. You show that to the restaurant host, and someone will walk you to your table. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, dctravel said:

You are correct. You place yourself in the virtual queue on the Hub App. Very easy. The App also tells you how long the wait is at that point in time. We used it each morning for breakfast and dinner in the Main Dining Room. Never had more than a 15-20 minute wait on the app, which was almost always shorter.

When you check in, you tell the app who from your party is dining and whether you want a table for just you or with others.

When your table is ready, you get an alert on the Hub app that gives you your table number. You show that to the restaurant host, and someone will walk you to your table. 

Excellent, sounds very efficient. I wonder how this impacts older people who are not tech savvy? Neither my parents nor my in laws would have a clue how to use a mobile phone app!

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, vwgolf2 said:

Excellent, sounds very efficient. I wonder how this impacts older people who are not tech savvy? Neither my parents nor my in laws would have a clue how to use a mobile phone app!

They can still check in at the desk, but if they have a smart phone, they will be encouraged to download the app and use it. 

• Like 3

47 minutes ago, vwgolf2 said:

It would behoove them to download the app ahead of time.

• Like 1

On 4/2/2024 at 11:26 AM, angelsfort said:

Unfortunately it doesn't always work out that way...  we had Set time dining on our last cruise and were the only ones at our table (of 10 people, 5 couples) that arrived on time every night.  

Carnival used to enforce the policy that diners would not be seated more than 15 minutes past the set time. On two nights during our recent 5 day cruise, a couple was seated a full 30 minutes late and our servers had to scramble to serve them. 

3 hours ago, simplelife said:

Carnival used to enforce the policy that diners would not be seated more than 15 minutes past the set time. On two nights during our recent 5 day cruise, a couple was seated a full 30 minutes late and our servers had to scramble to serve them. 

Carnival would do well to reasonably enforce more rules. This ranges from everything to include theater seat saving, chair hogging, dinner promptness, and balcony smoking, among others.  What they are not appreciating is that their lax attitude is actually negatively impacting those who reasonably follow the rules. Perfection isn't the goal. But too many over the line is a problem.

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, jsglow said:

Carnival would do well to reasonably enforce more rules. This ranges from everything to include theater seat saving, chair hogging, dinner promptness, and balcony smoking, among others.  What they are not appreciating is that their lax attitude is actually negatively impacting those who reasonably follow the rules. Perfection isn't the goal. But too many over the line is a problem.

I can't imagine the squeeze is worth the juice to them as unless it directly effects revenue - do they really want a $2 - $3 per hour employee arguing with a guest who is already disregarding common courtesy?

Best case is the guest corrects the behavior immediately & probably goes back to their behavior as soon as the employee walks away. Worst case scenario - it turns into a screaming ordeal or worse. 

There's little upside for Carnival Corporation in this situation.

We've done it both ways - and we've liked both. I always decide which way to go based upon the cruise schedule. For the OP - if you are doing the 7 day Panorama in July then you could go with the early "set time" dining if you wish and not have a problem. Only 1 day (Puerto Vallarta) has extended port hours (9pm) where you might miss your dinner time (easy to do the buffet that night if necessary). Easy to be back onboard in Mazatlan in time for dinner for most people. We have a 6 night'r on Firenze coming up in August (It's going to be HOT in Cabo) and we have scheduled Early (set time) dining for that cruise. We are looking at a couple of B2B cruises on Panorama towards the end of the year and will probably do Early (set time) for those as well.

For us - we really like the "set time" (early) for most cruises. We like talking to other people at the table about their day, etc. While "Your Time" does have the option to request a shared table, we have almost always been seated at a "2 top" regardless of our request in the app. For port intensive cruises, "Your Time" is generally the better option. We've done two 12 day Europe cruises and for both of those, "Your Time" was definitely the better choice, because at least for us - we wanted to maximize our time ashore in Europe. Alaska is also another cruise where "Your Time" is the better choice because of the extended port visit hours (sometimes as late as 10pm).

Our experience with "Your Time" and the app has been this. If you like your wait staff, and request to be seated in their area each night, then you need to request your table as soon as the app opens up for dinner. If you wait awhile (till all the tables in your preferred area fill up), then you could very well have an extended wait to be seated until one of the tables in your preferred area opens up. If you are content to be a floater each night, then you will probably be seated faster as they can put you at any table in the dining room (even on either deck).

On 4/2/2024 at 10:26 AM, angelsfort said:

I know that part of the issue was with our table mates - they showed up 30-45 minutes late every night for dinner, which threw off the servers I'm sure!  

They shouldn't have been let in in the first place. 15 minutes after assigned dining starts, the hostesses are supposed to close the MDR doors and tell latecomers to go eat elsewhere.

So the issue was actually with Carnival not following it's own rules. After it happened the second time, I would have spoken to the Maitre'D.

• Like 2

On 4/3/2024 at 8:23 PM, RDJ said:

Also, they made us order dessert at the same time as our main meal. On other lines we are used to them asking AFTER we’ve eaten dinner.

That has been standard on Carnival and Royal Caribbean for years.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, DallasGuy75219 said:

That has been standard on Carnival and Royal Caribbean for years.

It was new for us but Carnival isn’t our primary choice 

16 hours ago, DallasGuy75219 said:

They shouldn't have been let in in the first place. 15 minutes after assigned dining starts, the hostesses are supposed to close the MDR doors and tell latecomers to go eat elsewhere.

So the issue was actually with Carnival not following it's own rules. After it happened the second time, I would have spoken to the Maitre'D.

ya.  that definitely didn't happen!  there were 4 other couples assigned to our table and pretty much every night we were finishing up our main course by the time any of them arrived. It was disheartening because we choose to eat in the MDR so that we can meet new people and have interesting (if not amusing) conversations with our tablemates.  (we've made some good friends this way on past cruises!!!)

I didn't know that they were supposed to turn people away if they were more than 15 minutes late - we always try to be on time for dinner (or early).  Not because we're afraid of missing dinner but because we don't want to be rude or be an inconvenience to anyone!