Beware of NCL Cruise Next certificates

mariocira

On 2/20/2024 at 12:34 AM, gizfish said:

OP, speak with a supervisor at NCL and have them locate and listen to the tape of the call where their agent told you the certs were refundable.  

He cant get them to respond to inquiries how is he going to get a supervisor to speak with?

1 hour ago, Smitheroo said:

He cant get them to respond to inquiries how is he going to get a supervisor to speak with?

The OP has been trying to enquire by email. Last time I called NCL they were still answering the phone and still had supervisors.  Hence my saying "speak" with a supervisor.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, gizfish said:

The OP has been trying to enquire by email. Last time I called NCL they were still answering the phone and still had supervisors.  Hence my saying "speak" with a supervisor.

ok, worth a try

8 hours ago, gizfish said:

I agree. Sending an email only allows the company to send generic replies. If I were the OP, I would ABSOLUTELY make a phone call. Also, this is where I plug the use of a professional TA so he/she could be doing the legwork. Beyond that, I empathize with the OP about his daughter's cancer diagnosis, and I pray she is doing well. A friend of mine just wrote on FB yesterday that her daughter had died from injuries sustained after being struck by a car. As another poster mentioned, our health and that of our family members far outweighs money spent on CNs, etc.

Edited by DCGuy64
  • Like 1

On 2/19/2024 at 3:04 PM, mariocira said:

My wife  and I, both Saphire members of NCL, booked an 11-day cruise starting on 0ct 2, 2023 from Quebec City and ending in Baltimore on Oct. 13, 2023. To book the cruise, we used two of our three CruiseNext certificates, of $250 each. 

We were forced to cancel the cruise on Sept. 27, 2023, after our daughter in Holland was diagnosed with breast cancer. At the time of cancellation, we were told that our two certificates would be returned to our account. We were insured. Had we not been informed by NCL, rightly or wrongly, that the Cruisenext certificates would be credited back to us, we would have claimed them from the insurer. However, relying on its assurances, we did notThe insurance company paid our claim, but since we did not include the value of the CruiseNext certificates, they were not repaid to us.
Checking our account for another trip, we found out  that the two Cruisenext certificates had NOT been returned to our account.
On December 28, 2023, we wrote to Cruisenext about this matter. On that same date we received an automated response from Cruisenext, which a assigned a case number to my claim, and stated: "We appreciate your patience as we work hard to get back to you as soon as possible. Please note, due to the high volume of inquiries, our response may take up to 3-5 business days". 
Since I had not heard from them by January 3, I sent another email to Cruisenext inquiring about the status of my case. I received another automated response, saying that they would take  "up to 3-5 business days" to respond. By January 19, we had received no response, so we wrote again, referencing again our case number. All we got was the same automated response.
On February 15 we again inquired about our case. This time we did not even received the automated response.
As Saphire Latitude memters  we have traveled extensively with NCL.. We cannot understand why NCL and Crtuisenext have not responded to our repeated inquiries, and they are treating us so unfairly and shabbily. Tp those who have Cruisenext certificates, beware. Do not fall in the same trap we fell.
Mario & Cira Pabon

Where is the part we need to BEWARE about?

26 minutes ago, PartyPlannerLady said:

OP cancelled their cruise and some land-based NCL personnel told them they'd have their CNs back to their NCL account, so they sent off insurance claim for the cruise value less the value of the CNs.

Turns out the NCL personnel wasn't correct, so the OP lost the value of the CNs.

Bottom line, the CNs become non-returnable after the final payment due date.

OP, I'm sorry to hear about your woes, hopefully you'll be able to get the CNs back somehow.

Others: when sending off insurance claim, claim for full value, and remember the CNs will not be returned.

1 hour ago, PartyPlannerLady said:

We cannot understand why NCL and Crtuisenext have not responded to our repeated inquiries, and they are treating us so unfairly and shabbily.

I can understand you feel they've taken a long time to respond, but I take issue with the "unfairly and shabbily" part. At most, you're not getting an email in a timely manner. I think it's time you called them on the phone and spoke with a supervisor about this. As always, your time is usually better spent actually resolving the problem vs coming onto Cruise Critic to register your protest.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, PartyPlannerLady said:

Beware that certificates don't get refunded if you aren't due a full refund. If you are due a refund, it may come back in the form of a CN or it might be credited to your CC.

On 2/19/2024 at 11:01 PM, macewank said:

Exactly. I'd surely hope people in that situation don't expect to get full price. They have zero leverage in the deal.

they should expect to get $125 per CN or $150/$250 for CF depending on which CF they are selling, which would be the actual cost.  Social sites that are setup for selling certs don't allow you to post them for any higher.  Unless you find someone that don't know how those certs work, no one will buy them for any more than that

11 hours ago, MagnoliaBlossom said:

It is my experience that people sell their CNs and CFs for $50 less than they paid for them, so $200 for a cert they paid $250 for.  You should go look at the social media site and see how it works.

I have bought several off of the social site and they sell for $125 usually. When they were close to expiring people would let them go for $100. On that site you can't sell them for more than the $125 that they are worth ( you can charge $125 plus the fees to transfer).  People are still selling them on that site because they need the money and don't see themselves going on a cruise anytime soon.

On 2/23/2024 at 6:03 PM, PartyPlannerLady said:

As I see it what has happened is they got what surely was wrong information when cancelling. After all, WHY would they get their CN back if the cruise fare isn't refundable? The person that told them that must have thought the situation was another than it was. Or just not knowledgeable enough.

So it's not really a warning about CruiseNext, but rather to check and doublecheck and also have another think if something is reasonable. Would it really be reasonble to have a certificate worth 250 given back if cancellation fee is 100%? Of course to excuse for NCL to give wrongful information!

7 hours ago, ready2cruzagain said:

On that site you can't sell them for more than the $125 that they are worth ( you can charge $125 plus the fees to transfer). 

I've transferred CNs to another person and was never charged a fee.  Is that new?

1 minute ago, EngrJones said:

I've transferred CNs to another person and was never charged a fee.  Is that new?

I think they were referring to fees for the money transaction...

12 minutes ago, sailingships said:

Theres been discussions in the past about just when we can use two CruiseNext certificates. We just received an Email that NCL has just started DoubleUp again. I dont know how long the promotion will last though.

Current double up offer - any cabin - through 2/29. Will probably revert back to the usually offered double-up for balcony or above after that, if they don't extend the current offer.