changing from fixed seating to open

Hi Everyone,

I have early fixed seating on my b2b cruises in June.  The more I think about it, I believe, I would prefer open seating as I have been used to NCL's free style dining.

My question is:  should I wait til I get onboard to change this or contact my PCC and tell her or can I do it online?

Thanks, happytotravel

I would cancel before boarding, especially if you have early fixed dining. Early fixed is often solidly booked and it would allow someone to book it. Late fixed isn't as popular on HAL and is seldom solidly booked.

It cannot be done online. You need to contact the TA or PCC with whom you booked the cruise.

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, happytotravel said:

My question is:  should I wait til I get onboard to change this or contact my PCC and tell her or can I do it online?

I would have my PCC do it now. 

Early fixed seating is very popular, and there are people who will be shut out of it, or at best have to be on a waiting list and be accommodated after the dust settles. 
If you take care of this in advance it makes less work for the maître 'd. 

(sorry, Cruise Suzy, we were typing at the same time. you're just faster)

• Like 3

Just know that on open seating you often can't get a table when you want to. You either must eat very early or late. We ended up on open seating eating at 7:30 every night so we switched our dining to reserved late seating.  Every time we wanted an earlier time we couldn't get a table for 2. If you want to share it shouldn't be a problem.   

Thank you all,

I think I'll email my PCC to get it changed.  You are correct in saying that someone else will be able to book into fixed seating as soon as possible.

If for any reason I can not get seated within a reasonable time when I go for dinner I can go to the Lido and enjoy my meal there.

Again, thank you,

happytotravel

• Like 3

9 hours ago, happytotravel said:

If for any reason I can not get seated within a reasonable time when I go for dinner I can go to the Lido and enjoy my meal there.

Remember, if there is something you really want from the MDR, you can order room service from the MDR menu if it's within the first hour or so.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Cruise Suzy said:

Remember, if there is something you really want from the MDR, you can order room service from the MDR menu if it's within the first hour or so.

HAL certainly aims to please.  Thank you, happytotravel

12 hours ago, tupper10 said:

Just know that on open seating you often can't get a table when you want to. You either must eat very early or late. We ended up on open seating eating at 7:30 every night so we switched our dining to reserved late seating.  Every time we wanted an earlier time we couldn't get a table for 2. If you want to share it shouldn't be a problem.   

What's late is relative. Many would consider 7:30 as prime dining time.

• Like 3