Hideaway Beach mini-review from 2/17/24

5 hours ago, fletch1027 said:

It's funny how RCI seems to charge more for things just because it's an Icon sailing even though the thing that's being bought isn't even on the ship itself. It's almost like since the fare itself is higher they can get away with charging more for everything else as well... 🤬

My guess is RCI believes people who are willing to pay the extremely high rates to cruise on Icon will also be willing to pay more for other things. I think this will get worse in the future, since a lot of people cruising on Icon right now booked the cruise when Icon fares were not inflated when booking were first offered. Personally there is no way I would book Icon at the current prices. Oasis class ships rates are far more attractive right now. 

• Like 3

7 hours ago, fletch1027 said:

I mentioned the music in the 2nd post I just posted - it was more like standard pop music that the DJ turns to a dance mix. I'm in my 50's and it wasn't offensive to me 🙂 - nor was it overly loud or blaring.

While there's a lifeguard on the rock side of the lagoon, I don't think they allow people to the ocean side of the lagoon. Pretty big rocks you wouldn't want to be slammed up against lol...

it looks like plenty of umbrellas and chairs.

thanks for telling us about the food which seems quite nice.  I am thinking about doing the Hideway in May for Icon.   thanks for photo.

I also assume no seaweed issues either?

6 hours ago, fletch1027 said:

It's funny how RCI seems to charge more for things just because it's an Icon sailing even though the thing that's being bought isn't even on the ship itself. It's almost like since the fare itself is higher they can get away with charging more for everything else as well... 🤬

It's been between $40-50 for a May Icon sailing. I have seen higher prices for Cococay excursions for Allure of the seas than a Freedom of the Seas sailing month prior. However, with two weeks out some of the excursions ended up being cheaper on Allure sailing likely because of availability. 

The challenge in addition to making money, if they price excursions very attractive excursions sell out before the ships fills up. Now you have people booking a cruise 2-3 months before the sailing and find everything sold out. I don't believe that's 100% the reason for the higher prices, but I do believe it influences it. 

Edited by SUgwoz
  • Like 2

5 hours ago, smokeybandit said:

Did you have the ceviche? I'm curious if that was any good.

We did B2B on Allure. Beach Club on the 4 day and Hideaway on the 3 day. The ceviche at Hideaway was the same as what was served at the Beach Club in the appetizer tray. It was served in a plastic cup and accompanied by plantain chips that were separated from the ceviche in a plastic lid.

I thought it was very good. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, TPA2005 said:

We did B2B on Allure. Beach Club on the 4 day and Hideaway on the 3 day. The ceviche at Hideaway was the same as what was served at the Beach Club in the appetizer tray. It was served in a plastic cup and accompanied by plantain chips that were separated from the ceviche in a plastic lid.

I thought it was very good. 

I forgot they served it at the beach club. I did have it there 

15 hours ago, Oceansaway17 said:

it looks like plenty of umbrellas and chairs.

thanks for telling us about the food which seems quite nice.  I am thinking about doing the Hideway in May for Icon.   thanks for photo.

I also assume no seaweed issues either?

No seaweed issues in the ocean lagoon 🙂  

Something important that I forgot to post in my original review was that Hideaway Beach has ZERO seagulls!!

I noticed that there were 2-3 large bird kites on poles on either side of the big pool and after some internet sleuthing, I found that they are apparently some kind of bird deterrent. 

Not sure if they also utilize these at the beach club area but it's awesome to not have to be bothered by seagulls all day...

image.jpeg.fa5aa5fa2774097864c698ab59796d3f.jpeg

• Thanks 2

OK--this may be too specific a question. 🤣 TIA

Where are the bathrooms located.  I noticed on the map there is a building near building 8 that looks like a bath house [not labeled on map].  Also, I would assume they are near the food venue by the pool. 

DH has some mobility issues and it makes life easier if we are within a reasonable distance of the facilities. [food, restrooms] He uses a walking stick and as you can imagine sand is not his friend.  However, we have always been beach people--and a little planning makes for a good experience.

16 minutes ago, DragonOfTheSeas said:

Where are the bathrooms located.  I noticed on the map there is a building near building 8 that looks like a bath house [not labeled on map].  Also, I would assume they are near the food venue by the pool. 

DH has some mobility issues and it makes life easier if we are within a reasonable distance of the facilities. [food, restrooms] He uses a walking stick and as you can imagine sand is not his friend.  However, we have always been beach people--and a little planning makes for a good experience.

I found another map that shows the bathroom locations. Looks like there are 4 sets of them scattered around (man/woman icons) - either side of the slice of paradise pizza, behind the main pool and over by the hideaway hut food place...

image.thumb.jpeg.ce47f539952fd3b8c0856f1d9a070ad5.jpeg

• Like 1

17 hours ago, HappyCouple72 said:

For those that have been there , any decent snorkeling at hideaway ? Maybe out near rocks / inlets ? 

Technically you can snorkel at Hideaway but just in the lagoon so probably nothing good to see. The access to the inlets are roped off. 

From what I've seen/read the best place to snorkel is the Chill Island beach. That's where the sunken plane and stuff like that is for better snorkelling... 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Engineroom Snipe said:

I want you for my tour guide.

Thanks so much for all of this information.

🫡

No worries - we've only been to CC 4-5 times, which is tons less than most people on these boards, but it seems like each time we've gone we have ended up somewhere different (Chill Island, Oasis pool, Breezy Bay, South Beach, and this last time Hideaway) and each time I try to remember what I liked/didn't like about each place 🙂

1 hour ago, fletch1027 said:

Something important that I forgot to post in my original review was that Hideaway Beach has ZERO seagulls!!

What fun is that? The seagulls bring back fond memories of the Jersey shore for me. 🤣

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

5 minutes ago, OCSC Mike said:

What fun is that? The seagulls bring back fond memories of the Jersey shore for me. 🤣

The flying snatch-and-grab thieves that you rarely see coming until it is too late. I think seasoned curly fries are their favorite mission targets.

😲

• Haha 2

27 minutes ago, OCSC Mike said:

I hear you - I was born in Long Branch but I don't want them sniping my food 🤣

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

56 minutes ago, fletch1027 said:

best place to snorkel is the Chill Island beach.

That's where I met my pink Octopus (upper area clutching a shell) and I was hoping I could get to the inlets in Hideaway, but guess not.  I want to be in between area 48 and 45 on your map and thx for the map too.

Mine Mine Mine.jpg

Edited by BecciBoo
  • Like 4

1 hour ago, BecciBoo said:

That's where I met my pink Octopus (upper area clutching a shell) and I was hoping I could get to the inlets in Hideaway, but guess not.  I want to be in between area 48 and 45 on your map and thx for the map too.

Mine Mine Mine.jpg

Better you than me! Octopus freak me out. Too many tentacles and they are almost as smart as humans... 🙂

6 hours ago, DragonOfTheSeas said:

DH has some mobility issues and it makes life easier if we are within a reasonable distance of the facilities. [food, restrooms] He uses a walking stick and as you can imagine sand is not his friend.  However, we have always been beach people--and a little planning makes for a good 

@DragonOfTheSeasMy wife and I were there last week. With freedom and anthem there at same time there were no chairs available near the heated pool. We got a chair under the huge covered bar area and used that for our towels. We did not have to walk in any sand to get to the heated pool or rest rooms. The paths are all paved. On a side note glad your husband is doing well. 

7 hours ago, fletch1027 said:

I found another map that shows the bathroom locations. Looks like there are 4 sets of them scattered around (man/woman icons) - either side of the slice of paradise pizza, behind the main pool and over by the hideaway hut food place...

image.thumb.jpeg.ce47f539952fd3b8c0856f1d9a070ad5.jpeg

Thank you.  That is very helpful.

1 hour ago, dbancroft said:

@DragonOfTheSeasMy wife and I were there last week. . We did not have to walk in any sand to get to the heated pool or rest rooms. The paths are all paved. On a side note glad your husband is doing well. 

That is good to know. Thank you!

Yes, he is mostly back to where he was before his fall.  This will be our first cruise back.  On a positive note our adult daughter will be with us on this cruise. 😁

Edited by DragonOfTheSeas
  • Like 1

17 hours ago, dbancroft said:

@DragonOfTheSeasMy wife and I were there last week. With freedom and anthem there at same time there were no chairs available near the heated pool. We got a chair under the huge covered bar area and used that for our towels. We did not have to walk in any sand to get to the heated pool or rest rooms. The paths are all paved. On a side note glad your husband is doing well. 

What time were there no chairs available?  I can't really do sand well (knee) so we tend to  hang by pools or where the sand is firm.  We'll be there on Vision with Liberty in April so less people overall.

1 hour ago, BND said:

What time were there no chairs available?  I can't really do sand well (knee) so we tend to  hang by pools or where the sand is firm.  We'll be there on Vision with Liberty in April so less people overall.

@BND we got there around 10am and no chairs available around the heated pool. We stayed under the very large covered bar area which worked well when the storm came thru.

My husband has mobility issues.  We are booking the Wonder and would like to book a cabin where we would have a view of the island from our cabin. Do you happen to recall which side of the ship, port or starboard we should book for the island view?  Thank you.

29 minutes ago, KMR said:

My husband has mobility issues.  We are booking the Wonder and would like to book a cabin where we would have a view of the island from our cabin. Do you happen to recall which side of the ship, port or starboard we should book for the island view?  Thank you.

Others will chime in , but in most ports there is no way to know which side ship will face , or in Cococay which side of dock your ship will be on ,   The best island view would probably be aft… as most ships face out / away from island docked , hope this helps and others please chime in , thanks 

14 minutes ago, HappyCouple72 said:

Others will chime in , but in most ports there is no way to know which side ship will face , or in Cococay which side of dock your ship will be on , 

Exactly right. Unless you have an inside connection with Royal, I have seen a large ship on the east side with a smaller ship on the west side and vice-a-versa, always stern towards the island.

Depending on the docking, you see the ocean, the island, or the balcony of another ship at about 100 feet from you.