Silver Cloud - Trekking Poles?

FauxNom

Can someone who's recently sailed on the Cloud tell me if there are trekking poles (hiking sticks) to borrow? It's always hard to jam them into my small suitcase so I was a little encouraged when they were provided on the Endeavour last August. Maybe the Cloud has them too?

Hi.  I was. on the Cloud on an 15 day expedition cruise last year.   They do not provide walking poles.  We did about 10 excursions that required some hiking.  There were two or three where I wished I had poles-wet rocks down hill.  Their degree of difficulty icons aren't always accurate-depends on conditions. Ask the expedition staff what they think before taking a 3 mile hike So If you have any doubts or feel you need poles buy some,  Carbon fiber walking poles weigh ounces and pack small.  They are a good investment especially if you go the Galapagos. 

• Thanks 1

@chrism23 Do you know if there's a quality difference between the rented poles and just buying some less expensive ones on Amazon?   I am not an avid outdoor person.  I'm not going to use these poles much at home.   But I do want to go to the Galapagos and Antarctica and I do think I'll need the poles.  I would rent if I thought I'd get an advantage by having higher quality poles than I'd normally be willing to pay for.   Curious what your thoughts are.   I am happy to check a bag to bring the poles.  🙂

We were just on the Cloud in January, 2024. There aren’t any poles to borrow. I brought my own (collapsible, from Eddie Bauer) and my husband rented them through Silversea. We also rented boots.

• Thanks 1

Recommend Leki collapsable trekking poles.  Outstanding quality; we have used them for years in the Italian Dolomites, on Silversea in Antarctica, South Georgia (Twice) and will take them for the Indian Ocean Grand voyage next month for hiking throughout South Africa, Madgascar, et. al.

Edited by WesW

Thanks, all, for the reports on the poles. I nearly always take my collapsible trekking poles on expedition cruises - but now I won't when I cruise on the Endeavour.

@southerngoose If you buy some decent poles I can't imagine they would be of lesser quality than the rental variety. In the PNW, people of a certain age use them for all kinds of local hikes, and they are great for travel.

• Thanks 1