When do you pay for "choice" excursions?

dbali

I'm trying to book a couple of choice excursions for a cruise a year out.  It looks like you pay when you book, but what happens if we cancel?  Does the credit go to the credit card or obc?

Seems a bit much to pay for excursions before final payment is due.  

19 minutes ago, wcsdkqh said:

You pay for these excursions when they are booked. The paid excursions can be cancelled up to 48 hrs prior to the excursion for full refund.

Thanks.

3 hours ago, wcsdkqh said:

You pay for these excursions when they are booked. The paid excursions can be cancelled up to 48 hrs prior to the excursion for full refund.

The tour tickets for each tour tell you when the last possible time is to cancel a tour and get the refund.

I have had experience with all of these:

- If you cancel before the cruise starts, your card is refunded right away.

- If you cancel while on board (or they cancel a paid excursion), the refund goes into your onboard account as refundable OBC. If you don't spend it, it gets put back onto the card after the cruise.

- If you get extra onboard credit after you paid for the excursions but before the cruise, it gets applied to your paid excursions and a refund goes to your card for the amount that was applied. Any leftover OBC remains for while you are on board.

I was told by a cruise consultant that the $100 OBC you get for being a gold Society member is applied to your account once you board, and you have to go to Destinations Svcs to get those funds applied to your already paid excursions.  The money you already paid is refunded, and the refund is treated like refundable OBC as in the second example above. I haven't had a chance to see this in action yet, but hope to take advantage of it on our next cruise.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, RELS said:

I was told by a cruise consultant that the $100 OBC you get for being a gold Society member is applied to your account once you board, and you have to go to Destinations Svcs to get those funds applied to your already paid excursions.  The money you already paid is refunded, and the refund is treated like refundable OBC as in the second example above. I haven't had a chance to see this in action yet, but hope to take advantage of it on our next cruise.

Our $100 OBC for being Gold was applied to our account as soon as we booked and then when we purchased shore excursions the OBC was applied automatically against the cost and we paid the rest on checkout. 

3 minutes ago, 1982CruzStart said:

Our $100 OBC for being Gold was applied to our account as soon as we booked and then when we purchased shore excursions the OBC was applied automatically against the cost and we paid the rest on checkout. 

I had three cruises booked as Silver when I turned Gold, and I asked that the cruise consultant on my Gold-turning cruise apply that $100 to each of those cruises, and she said it wouldn't be applied until we boarded. I wonder if there is anyone who can do it before we board.

10 hours ago, RELS said:

- If you cancel while on board (or they cancel a paid excursion), the refund goes into your onboard account as refundable OBC. If you don't spend it, it gets put back onto the card after the cruise.

How long do you have to wait for this?  I had some "refundable" OBCs for my cruise that ended 12 days ago, and my credit card does not have it yet.  Should I start making a fuss, or continue to wait?

1 minute ago, RELS said:

I had three cruises booked as Silver when I turned Gold, and I asked that the cruise consultant on my Gold-turning cruise apply that $100 to each of those cruises, and she said it wouldn't be applied until we boarded. I wonder if there is anyone who can do it before we board.

the issue is that you don't turn gold until you board the ship. No gold benefits until you are onboard. 

1 minute ago, RELS said:

Mine (for my gold-turning cruise) appeared without explanation on the invoice when I got a new invoice for some other reason (air credit change or maybe final payment, not sure).  When I tried to add it onboard, they told me it was already on my account.

1 minute ago, 1982CruzStart said:

the issue is that you don't turn gold until you board the ship. No gold benefits until you are onboard. 

Sure, for the cruise where I Gold-ed, But I'm Gold now. Why can't I get it applied to the upcoming already booked cruises before boarding now that we're Gold?

2 minutes ago, 1982CruzStart said:

Apparently this is not always true.  But if I had not boarded, it would have disappeared along with my booking.

4 minutes ago, SusieQft said:

Mine (for my gold-turning cruise) appeared without explanation on the invoice when I got a new invoice for some other reason (air credit change or maybe final payment, not sure).  When I tried to add it onboard, they told me it was already on my account.

Do you remember the line item title for the Gold OBC?  I have several OBCs listed for a June cruise(turned Gold last October) but can’t tell if one is the Gold. Was it specific on your invoice?

35 minutes ago, jeb_bud said:

Do you remember the line item title for the Gold OBC?  I have several OBCs listed for a June cruise(turned Gold last October) but can’t tell if one is the Gold. Was it specific on your invoice?

I think it was "Seven Seas Society", $50 per person.  There were other credits with the same name.  It did not say "gold."

• Like 2

45 minutes ago, RELS said:

Sure, for the cruise where I Gold-ed, But I'm Gold now. Why can't I get it applied to the upcoming already booked cruises before boarding now that we're Gold?

that seems very strange. I would email Mike Moore (mmoore@rssc.com) or Jenifer(darn it, i can't remember her last name, if i find it i will post it). I believe she is incharge of the Seven Seas Society which should mean she is responsible for SSS OBC.   I find Mike to be very helpful. If he can't fix it, he sends it on to the correct person. 

1982CruzStart:

That's Jennefer Teegen, Director of Guest Experience & Loyalty.  jteegen@rssc.com.

Very helpful to us on several prior occasions. 

GOARMY!

• Thanks 1

38 minutes ago, 1982CruzStart said:

that seems very strange. I would email Mike Moore (mmoore@rssc.com) or Jenifer(darn it, i can't remember her last name, if i find it i will post it). I believe she is incharge of the Seven Seas Society which should mean she is responsible for SSS OBC.   I find Mike to be very helpful. If he can't fix it, he sends it on to the correct person. 

Happily, the problem is now fixed.

I just called RSSC to update some shore excursions, and not only was I connected immediately, the (extremely helpful, competent and friendly) agent was able to apply that Gold credit to all my upcoming cruises! And she found some extra $200 credit that I wasn't aware of for one of the cruises!

This is obviously someone who knows how to work the system. Thank you, agent S!

• Like 2