Insurance for Alaska Cruise multiple households/states - same cabin

Debate

I'm taking my mom on an Alaska cruise.  I live in Georgia - she lives in Alabama.  Travelex has quoted me two separate policies so double the cost to insure myself and my daughter (1 household in Georgia) and my mom in Alabama.  I'm not as concerned about the cost of the cruise itself as I am making sure she is covered for any medical emergencies.  She has Medicare and a supplemental policy.  Our cruise starts and ends in Vancouver and stops in Icy Straight, Juneau, Ketchikan and back to Vancouver.  Is the insurance worth it? or will/should her Medicare/Supplemental insurance cover her?  Thoughts?? 

I can only speak from my experience. I'm on Medicare also. Also, like you, I'm not very concerned about losing the cost of the cruise. My major concern is, can I absorb the potential cost of a medical event. I also look at any insurance as a risk sharing cost item. What am I willing to risk vs. what do I need to do to share any possible risk.

Last year my wife and I sailed out of Vancouver BC to Alaska, then flew home from Anchorage. I made the decision that since less than 5% of our time was going to be spent in Canada, I decided to risk no additional medical insurance. Evacuation from the ship is done by the Coast Guard at no cost. Chances were very high that I would be evacuated to a US based hospital along the voyage where my Medicare would be acceptable. Is there risk in this plan? Of course. I personally found this level of risk acceptable.

However, you have to do what's acceptable to you and your family.

Side Note: Since travel insurance is regulated by each State, it is necessary to purchase separate policies if family members have different residencies.

Thank you for your response and experience.  I was/am most concerned regarding medical evacuation in the “worst case scenario “ situation.  It’s good to know that’s covered by the Coast Guard in Alaska waters.  

29 minutes ago, Debate said:

Thank you for your response and experience.  I was/am most concerned regarding medical evacuation in the “worst case scenario “ situation.  It’s good to know that’s covered by the Coast Guard in Alaska waters.  

Evacuation from a ship is governed by international treaties and is always performed for free just as any search and rescue. 

Let's say for example you have a medical emergency at sea and the coast guard evacuates you from the ship to let's say Juneau. That will be free. Now, let's say the patient is stabilized in Juneau but requires additional treatment that Juneau can't do and they want to evacuate the patient to either Anchorage or Seattle. That will be treated as an ambulance here on land but by air (since there are no roads to Juneau). Ambulances is covered by your healthcare plan.

2 hours ago, klfrodo said:

That will be treated as an ambulance here on land but by air (since there are no roads to Juneau). Ambulances is covered by your healthcare plan.

Better check the terms of your healthcare plan. Back in the 90s a friend of mine had to be air-ambulanced from Anchorage to Seattle. It was a non-emergency transport and the co-pay was pretty hefty.

22 minutes ago, Philob said:

Better check the terms of your healthcare plan. Back in the 90s a friend of mine had to be air-ambulanced from Anchorage to Seattle. It was a non-emergency transport and the co-pay was pretty hefty.

I believe that you intentionally took my quote out of context, but that's okay. I understand.

8 hours ago, Debate said:

Is the insurance worth it? or will/should her Medicare/Supplemental insurance cover her?  Thoughts?? 

You/she need to check the coverage of her Supplemental. My husband's and mine covers outside US: $50,000pp LIFETIME. Plus if in Juneau, the regular Medicare would be compelled to do medically necessary transport.