New to Latitudes platinum level - questions

scgssny

My wife and I recently qualified as platinum Latitude members and I had a few questions about how the perks work before our next sailing on the Joy in June.  According to the Latitudes webpage, platinum level guests receive dinner for two with a bottle of wine and then the next line lists dinner for two. Does that mean two separate dinners? According to the foot notes aka fine print, it appears to be the equivalence of a specialty dining credit and coupons will be issued. Should we make a reservation ahead for the dinner(s) just as we would with a specialty dining credit? 

Another perk listed is the ship tour, should we make the reservation ahead via the website and pay, then just work out a credit or simply book it once we are onboard?  

Thank you for any information that you may be able to share. 

1 minute ago, scgssny said:

My wife and I recently qualified as platinum Latitude members and I had a few questions about how the perks work before our next sailing on the Joy in June.  According to the Latitudes webpage, platinum level guests receive dinner for two with a bottle of wine and then the next line lists dinner for two. Does that mean two separate dinners? According to the foot notes aka fine print, it appears to be the equivalence of a specialty dining credit and coupons will be issued. Should we make a reservation ahead for the dinner(s) just as we would with a specialty dining credit? 

Another perk listed is the ship tour, should we make the reservation ahead via the website and pay, then just work out a credit or simply book it once we are onboard?  

Yes, there will be coupons in your cabin for your two free specialty dinners for two.   Make reservations beforehand if you can.

If you are interested in the free behind the scenes tour, you need to go to the cruisenext desk as soon as possible upon boarding as there is limited space.   This free tour is not the same tour as the paid verson as the paid version is longer.  

You are also entitled to a wine tasting event that you would also have to sign up for at the cruisenext desk.

• Like 1

Just one clarifying note.  The two free dinners is one per cabin.  Assuming you’re sharing a cabin you will only get one coupon between you.  So it’s two dinners, not four.

As others have said, you need to sign up for the Behind the Seas tour as soon as you get onboard.  It is a different (from what I understand, not as thorough) as the one you pay for, but still fascinating.

finally, although you will only get one coupon for laundry, you are both entitled to the free bag.  Simply write “Platinum” on the inventory sheets.  You don’t really need the coupon. You may have to ask your steward for an extra bag.

Edited to add that as far as making dinner reservations goes, make them online as you would any other reservation.  But make sure you book the fixed price (Teppanyaki and Moderno) first so they are recognized as FAS reservations.  Otherwise the system will try to charge you.  (The booking system doesn’t recognize the Platinum status.  You need to bring the physical coupon to the restaurant.)

Edited by Russiamomm
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, scgssny said:

You get two dinners for two at any specialty restaurant. You book them exactly the same as you do other Free at Sea dinners. Reservations required. Platinum and Club Balcony reservations open 125 days prior to departure. Non-Platinum reservations open 120 days before departure, so take advantage of your 5 day head start.  

You decide at time of dining how you are going to pay. Platinum voucher (there will be vouchers in your room on embarkation and they are required to pay for your dinner), Free at Sea Specialty Dining Credit, purchased specialty dining plan, room charge. Tell the hostess how you wish to pay for your dinner. 

The free behind the scenes tour can only be booked at the Cruise Next Desk on embarkation day. Make those reservations quickly because it will sell out (on most cruises). It is normally early on the first sea day. 

You also get a free bag of laundry to be used during your cruise. 

Front of Vouchers

image.png.6e1d8f6c6e016783ffca56c2a7c290ff.png

Back of Vouchers

image.png.a392572fbc3176c46fbf1e5794519bca.png

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

And you dont have to drink your bottle of wine that you get with the dinner. Keep it corked and take it to your room for later or take it home.   I have a few in my wine rack now lol. 

• Like 1

If I might ask. If you book all your specialty dinner reservations in advance (e.g., to include 2 free with Platinum, 2 free with FAS, and 2 free with FAS+), is there a trick as to which specialty restaurants to book first so as not to have to pay for any of them in advance?

My understanding is you book the "flat fee" restaurants first with the FAS and FAS+ free dinners, and then make your last 2 specialty restaurant reservations at those that have "individually priced menu items", so you can use your Platinum coupons to pay for those after you get the bill. Is this correct?

Edited by Ken the cruiser

3 minutes ago, Ken the cruiser said:

If I might ask. If you book all your specialty dinner reservations in advance (e.g., to include 2 free with Platinum, 2 free with FAS, and 2 free with FAS+), is there a trick as to which specialty restaurants to book first so as not to have to pay for any of them in advance?

As I noted above, always book the fixed price restaurants (Teppanyaki and Moderno) first.  If you don’t, they will try to charge you for the meal online,  the online reservation system recognizes the FAS meals, but not the Platinum meals.

• Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, Russiamomm said:

As I noted above, always book the fixed price restaurants (Teppanyaki and Moderno) first.  If you don’t, they will try to charge you for the meal online,  the online reservation system recognizes the FAS meals, but not the Platinum meals.

I think I was writing my post while you were editing your original post with that additional information. 😀

• Like 1

2 hours ago, BirdTravels said:

The free behind the scenes tour can only be booked at the Cruise Next Desk on embarkation day. Make those reservations quickly because it will sell out (on most cruises). It is normally early on the first sea day. 

Do you have any idea Iif the concierge can book this reservation for you? Or would we have to head down to Cruise Next? Many thanks!

24 minutes ago, cruiseny4life said:

Do you have any idea Iif the concierge can book this reservation for you? Or would we have to head down to Cruise Next? Many thanks!

The Haven concierge can book it for you, but ask first thing when you get onboard.  We’ve done it before.  Much prefer waiting in line for the concierge in the Haven than in line at the CN desk in the Atrium.  😃

• Thanks 1

as for booking the fixed price restaurants first, I'll add that if you want to reserve more fixed price restaurants than FAS credits that you have, you have to wait until you're onboard to book the fixed price that you wish to use the platinum coupons for. Otherwise, the system will make you pay.  For example, I'm platinum (so I get my two platinum meals), but I book inside cabins so I get 1 FAS.  I always eat at teppanyaki and moderno.  Since I only have one FAS credit, I can only book one or the other because the system will make me pay for the 2nd if I try to book beforehand.  No big deal since I've never had a problem walking up to a specialty restaurants

Just so I’m clear (I’m gold about to turn platinum): the specialty dining is two for two people for each cruise at that level? Meaning if you took say 5 platinum cruises, you would get 2x2 each time for 5 times? Total of ten dinners for two, for example?

Or is this a “one and done” situation for the cruise that you become platinum?

2 minutes ago, Distinctive-Destinations said:

Just so I’m clear (I’m gold about to turn platinum): the specialty dining is two for two people for each cruise at that level? Meaning if you took say 5 platinum cruises, you would get 2x2 each time for 5 times? Total of ten dinners for two, for example?

you get two coupons each cruise.  so 2x2, but not five times.  One time each cruise you take

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, dbrown84 said:

you get two coupons each cruise.  so 2x2, but not five times.  One time each cruise you take

Okay I worded that poorly. My point was basically you get that for each subsequent cruise, as opposed to just the one time when you “graduate” to platinum.

So essentially once you hit Platinum, you get that benefit going forward each time, correct? Thanks. This is a nice surprise.

2 minutes ago, Distinctive-Destinations said:

Okay I worded that poorly. My point was basically you get that for each subsequent cruise, as opposed to just the one time when you “graduate” to platinum.

So essentially once you hit Platinum, you get that benefit going forward each time, correct? Thanks. This is a nice surprise.

OH, I'm sorry.  Yes you get it going forward.  Enjoy!!

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, Distinctive-Destinations said:

Welcome to Cruise Critic

You get two vouchers (shown in Post #7 above), each good for a meal for up to two people on every cruise 5 days or more in duration.

As long as one person is platinum, the second person can have any status (newbie to ambassador). 

If you are sailing solo and eating alone, you get two meals. 

If you are sailing solo, you can invite anyone you meet to your two meals. 

I use the word "meals" because the voucher could be used for lunch or dinner at a specialty restaurant. 

We take 5 cruises every year. We get two vouchers for each cruise. 

Edited by BirdTravels
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, LloydJr said:

This is only true if you have a particular time/venue that is a "must have."  Otherwise, you can often just walk up to a specialty restaurant and be seated.  It may be a short or long wait.  It may be a "come back at xx o'clock.  But a person won't lose their free dinner if they neglect to make advance reservations (either pre-cruise or during the cruise).

Or you may be told that the restaurant is sold out and go find somewhere else to eat.

It is far easier to tell people to make a reservation so that they are not wandering the ship, then flaming NCL on Cruise Critic about not being able to use their dining credit on the last night of the cruise. 

Remember, popular restaurants are normally well over sold (like overselling a plane) on most nights. There are not enough seats if everyone shows up and takes a "normal" amount of time to dine. While steerage class passengers just get the "sold out" response, the Concierge can overbook a restaurant to get a table for Suites guests. 

3 hours ago, Megamixer said:

Similar question but about the 15% off internet package.  If you have "free at sea" do you get the 15% off the upgrade offer to unlimited?

No, for most people this benefit has very little value, as it can only be used on new packages and the resulting price is still more than an upgrade.

“Discount is not valid on Free at Sea Wifi Packages Upgrades or time-based Wifi Packages.”

14 hours ago, Russiamomm said:

The Haven concierge can book it for you, but ask first thing when you get onboard.  We’ve done it before.  Much prefer waiting in line for the concierge in the Haven than in line at the CN desk in the Atrium.  😃

Oh this is the most wonderful news! I really don't want to spend part of embarkation waiting in line. Now, I just need to book a cruise to use my new Platinum benefits!

Thank you, thank you!

2 minutes ago, cruiseny4life said:

Oh this is the most wonderful news! I really don't want to spend part of embarkation waiting in line. Now, I just need to book a cruise to use my new Platinum benefits!

Thank you, thank you!

Enjoy your new benefits.  And enjoy the Haven!  

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, dbrown84 said:

actually, required is a terrible word, since it's simply not true. It's not required.   If your point is valid, the facts should be able to stand on their own.    No need to "trick" people with false information.  And advising folks to walk up is really really great advice.  Personally, it's never been a problem for me.  And here on CC, I've seen more post of folks having no problems at all walking up than I've seen posts of people not being able to use their vouchers because then didn't make reservations.

Bottom line is that for someone "new", the best advice is to make a reservation. We dine at NCL specialty restaurants 25-35 night a year. I have observed far more walk-ups turned away than accepted. Just my observation (we normally dine during "prime time" between 6:00 and 7:00). Advising people not to make reservations and just walk up is really really really bad advice. 

If you wait to the last minute, you can't get a reservation and you're on the mercy of the restaurants to allow you to walk-in. It works better when it is warm and sunny and they open up the al fresco dining. Windy, rainy, too hot, too cold days, they are limited to the inside seating in the restaurant. 

image.png.7fb3a22e08ad373580913e21f1fe54db.png