Viking Homeland excursions

Mad-39

18 hours ago, janetcbl said:

Consider this a winner! Have been to both places; Tallinn is definitely more interesting and a fascinating city, especially the walled Old Town. Don’t miss the tower. Enjoy!

I asked my TA about this and his answer from Viking was: A change to Tallinn is just a rumor. WHAT? Someone said they got a letter from Viking saying it was changed on their trip in 2025. They need to get their act together! 

1 hour ago, ChrisB123 said:

I asked my TA about this and his answer from Viking was: A change to Tallinn is just a rumor. WHAT? Someone said they got a letter from Viking saying it was changed on their trip in 2025. They need to get their act together! 

'Someone said'.  I'm not a Viking cheerleader but I would like to see a copy of  this letter before making assumptions.

23 minutes ago, duquephart said:

Wouldn't MVJ tell the tale?

Viking ( MVJ ) still has me staying at a different hotel than the one they emailed me about and my TA confirmed. Maybe the itinerary changes in 2025. 

Does anyone have any input on which paid excursions on the Bergon to Stockholm cruise are worth the money. I can’t do them all so trying to get the best bang for the buck!

Appreciate all the input!

12 hours ago, Mad-39 said:

Does anyone have any input on which paid excursions on the Bergon to Stockholm cruise are worth the money. I can’t do them all so trying to get the best bang for the buck!

Just my opinion: The Flam Railroad (Eidfjord), Pulpit Rock (Stavanger), Behind the Scenes at the Munch Museum (Oslo, if you like the art of Munch), Full Day Classical Oslo ( if you have never been to Oslo and don’t want to explore on your own-it covers a lot of ground). People enjoyed the long day in Berlin (if you haven’t been there previously). It really all depends on what your interests are; do some research and then decide.

36 minutes ago, ustowas said:

Does anyone have the map provided for Berlin or remember the sights on the included tour? We are going on the May 24th Viking home land starting in Bergen.

I don't have a map, but I know the included tour is a train ride from the dock to Berlin. 

On 2/24/2024 at 6:20 PM, Mad-39 said:

We did the Copenhagen Canal cruise on our own and also walked to see The Little Mermaid.  It was a longish walk along the main boardwalk that aligns with the ocean.  Pretty easy if you are in decent shape.  Walking around Copenhagen was relatively easy to navigate for us.  Bergen is also very easy to walk around on your own.  Be sure to walk over to the Funicular (Just ask anyone for directions) and ride to the top, walk around, take pictures and then ride back down). This might have been one of the highlights of our trip!

We walked around Stavanger old town on our own or perhaps it was a free included tour.  Loved old town. In Oslo we went to the Frogner Park and saw the Vigeland Sculpture Installation, then went to the National Museum to see many of the Munch paintings.  Many of the ports on this trip were an easy walk into town.  In Stockholm you must go to the Vasa Museum.  I had little interest in going but got talked into it.  It was fantastic.  It looks like they have a Vasa Museum and Stockholm by boat tour - that would be my first choice! Old Town in Stockholm is also worth seeing.   We did take the train into Berlin (Iconic Sights of Berlin) but it was an exhausting day filled with maybe too much for one day. We saw the Berlin Wall, Checkpoint Charlies, etc, but preferred the colorful and charming Scandinavian countries.  Trip of a lifetime.  Bring a raincoat.  We went in June and it was very cold and rainy but we still loved every minute of it and hope we can one day go back. 

Edited by Lemondrops
  • Like 3

Posted (edited)

Did not go to Berlin.  Mollie steam RR instead.
Bus on scenic Flam was great fun with the tunnels and underground roundabouts and scenery with waterfalls. However it was a long trip. Not a fan of bus rides but the uniqueness here was great.

LOVED the Flamsbana train ride despite heavy rain.

Edited by philw1776

Posted (edited)
On 2/24/2024 at 3:15 PM, Hockeyump said:

'Someone said'.  I'm not a Viking cheerleader but I would like to see a copy of  this letter before making assumptions.

Viking Homelands - Dates & Pricing - Stockholm to Bergen | Viking® (vikingcruises.com)

You can just check the itinerary for each individual sailing of that cruise. I only checked a sampling, but the ones in 2025 seem to show Tallinn . ( go to Dates and Pricing. Select a date in 2025 and then click  More Info on the right and then Itinerary on the left.)

Edited by lackcreativity

Posted (edited)
23 hours ago, ustowas said:

To philw1776 

wonderful and extensive photos thank you. Would you be willing to share your impressions of the bus portion of the seanic flam rail  excursion? and the trip to Berlin? 

I think I said earlier the trip to Berlin was a long day.  We boarded in Warnemunde and as I remember it was a 2 - 3  hour ride.  It felt very long and uncomfortable -not your typical cushy seats.  Not sure if the trains have been upgraded since I went in 2018 but I was siting on a hard, bench-type seat.  Once we arrived in Berlin we transferred to a bus and most of the tour was by bus with various short stops along the way. (The seats on the bus were much more comfortable.)  We stopped for lunch at a typical German restaurant and the meal was very meat heavy - with lots of Bratwurst, potatoes and sauerkraut. Various bus stops included The Central Memorial of the Federal Republic of Germany to the Victims of War and Tyranny,  Brandenburg Gate, we drove past the Adlon Hotel (made famous by Michael Jackson when he dangled his baby over the balcony), The Allierten Museum (The Allied Museum) - which was interesting and maybe one the best things about the trip,  a very quick drive by of Checkpoint Charlie but you can see the original at the Allied Museum, and the Berlin Wall Memorial where we did have a chance to get off the bus for a photo op.  There was one last stop where we had about 45 minutes to do some shopping but it wasn't nearly enough time as most of the stores were crowded. I would have liked to have purchased something at a cuckoo clock shop but we were so rushed there was no time.  It was a lot to pack into one day.  There was also a lot of construction happening in the city which impacted traffic.  Photo of lunch, Allied Museum and a couple of photos I was able to take from the bus as we drove through the city - Beige building is the German Parliament and the white building is the Presidents residence.  (PS - sorry Phil, didnt mean to send this to you as I dont think you were the person that asked for Berlin info!)

36188179_10216135934489941_8460902268210774016_n.jpg

35285436_10216135811126857_6197705685791145984_n.jpg

36230916_10216135824527192_4254238151196803072_n.jpg

36275063_10216136014851950_7972923704835309568_n.jpg

36276021_10216135954490441_474264427856658432_n.jpg

Edited by Lemondrops
addressed wrong person
  • Like 1