Rising levels of violence in Chiapas coast

SmooshSmash

Just as I was looking for things to do in Cozumel, I found this instead.

Source - Yahoo

"Four warring Mexican drug cartels indiscriminately kill to assert dominance..."

"In the process, Americans — and visitors from around the world — have become collateral damage, seen gruesome violence or "just disappear, wiped off the face of earth," Armes said.

Over the last two weeks, cartel members dismembered rival gang members with machetes in tourist hot spot Cancun; a California woman was killed in the crossfire near a popular Tulum beach; and an abducted New York man was left in a secluded jungle with his eyes taped shut."

• Like 1

Cartel activity in Cancun has been prevalent for a long time.  Sad to see it's drifted south to Tulum.

But thus far it hasn't impacted Cozumel abeit there is no doubt cartel activity on the island.

36 minutes ago, SmooshSmash said:

Just as I was looking for things to do in Cozumel, I found this instead.

Source - Yahoo

"Four warring Mexican drug cartels indiscriminately kill to assert dominance..."

"In the process, Americans — and visitors from around the world — have become collateral damage, seen gruesome violence or "just disappear, wiped off the face of earth," Armes said.

Over the last two weeks, cartel members dismembered rival gang members with machetes in tourist hot spot Cancun; a California woman was killed in the crossfire near a popular Tulum beach; and an abducted New York man was left in a secluded jungle with his eyes taped shut."

Not sure what Chiapas has to do with Cozumel or why you would find these articles associated with things to do on Cozumel.

Were you looking for mainland excursions?

Whilst there has been increased level of crime in Cozumel since COVID I am not sure how the above links are particularly relevant. 

Edited by c-leg5

7 minutes ago, blue_water said:

“Four warning”…🤷🏼

Yes this is an odd post for sure…

It was actually “warring”! 

But certainly a strange post - I don’t even know how Quintana Roo got into an article about Chiapas, never mind Cozumel.

• Like 1