Norwegian escape Mediterranean cruise May 5-16. Train from Trieste to Venice

Doncarellash

I’m trying not to sound like a broken record. But, I am staying a couple of extra days in Venice after  our cruise that ports in Trieste.  I was told to purchase tickets in advance at italiarail.com. I have gone there. But I still have some questions. They don’t have a.m. or p.m. on their website so I don’t know what time any of these trains leave. Also, I need to book from Trieste Centrale to Venezia San Lucia, is that correct? And, how much time do I need to give myself to get to the train station from the port? I’m sure there are plenty of people on Cruise critic that are taking the same cruise. Do any of you have some helpful information for me? I have never done a European vacation like this. Thank you so much.

6 minutes ago, Doncarellash said:

. Also, I need to book from Trieste Centrale to Venezia San Lucia, is that correct?

Correct.

8 minutes ago, Doncarellash said:

how much time do I need to give myself to get to the train station from the port? 

You should be able to walk it in 30 minutes. Or take a taxi for around 10 Euros.

@Doncarellash

They don’t have a.m. or p.m. on their website so I don’t know what time any of these trains leave. 

If the time is before 12.00 then it is morning,  07.30 is 7.30am

If the time is after 12,00 then it is afternoon.   15.30 is 3.30pm.   For time after 12.00 just take off 12.00 to get the afternoon time.

Something to keep in mind is the trains from Trieste to Venice can take two routes. (The long way and the short way.) Also, if you choose the freccirossa at 9:39 or the intercity at 13:27 (1:27 pm) you can pay for an assigned seat BUT you have to change trains in Mestre. If you choose the standard regional trains be sure to pick the two hour journey, not the 3 hour option. Also, I use italic rail to compare options, but I buy my tickets directly from trenitalia as it is a few bucks cheaper. IMG_0322.thumb.jpeg.4c81c741c152701900a4b5f725db3591.jpeg

You don't NEED to purchase your tickets in advance.  You can buy at the station.

There is no financial advantage to buy in advance on Regional Trains; there's no discount and they don't sell out. You can tell it's a Regional train by opening up the particular time you're interested in and it will say RV , ie the 8:16am and 9:16am are RV.

If you can manage your luggage, it's a15 minute walk to the Trieste station; easy, no hills.  But if it's raining you might have to wait an hr for a cab.

20 hours ago, Doncarellash said:

I’m trying not to sound like a broken record. But, I am staying a couple of extra days in Venice after  our cruise that ports in Trieste.  I was told to purchase tickets in advance at italiarail.com. I have gone there. But I still have some questions. They don’t have a.m. or p.m. on their website so I don’t know what time any of these trains leave. Also, I need to book from Trieste Centrale to Venezia San Lucia, is that correct? And, how much time do I need to give myself to get to the train station from the port? I’m sure there are plenty of people on Cruise critic that are taking the same cruise. Do any of you have some helpful information for me? I have never done a European vacation like this. Thank you so much.

We are on this cruise as well and decided to book private transportation from Trieste port to central Venice (Piazzala Roma where the buses and trains arrive).  If you are interested in joining us (max of 7 people in this mini-van) let me know.  The total cost is $417, so shared by the group it can be economical and much easier.  I haven't yet had a chance to post this on the roll call but will do that this week.  We want to make transport as easy as possible primarily so to not have to deal with lifting luggage. 

3 hours ago, benel204 said:

We are on this cruise as well and decided to book private transportation from Trieste port to central Venice (Piazzala Roma where the buses and trains arrive).  If you are interested in joining us (max of 7 people in this mini-van) let me know.  The total cost is $417, so shared by the group it can be economical and much easier.  I haven't yet had a chance to post this on the roll call but will do that this week.  We want to make transport as easy as possible primarily so to not have to deal with lifting luggage. 

Per board rules, this arrangement is done on the Roll Call for your cruise.

On 2/23/2024 at 7:43 PM, Rusty Shacklefjord said:

Something to keep in mind is the trains from Trieste to Venice can take two routes. (The long way and the short way.) Also, if you choose the freccirossa at 9:39 or the intercity at 13:27 (1:27 pm) you can pay for an assigned seat BUT you have to change trains in Mestre. If you choose the standard regional trains be sure to pick the two hour journey, not the 3 hour option. Also, I use italic rail to compare options, but I buy my tickets directly from trenitalia as it is a few bucks cheaper. IMG_0322.thumb.jpeg.4c81c741c152701900a4b5f725db3591.jpeg

4 hours ago, Doncarellash said:

I purchased tickets from Trieste Centrale to Venezia San Lucia.   Train leaves at 9:16am and arrives at 11:21am.  no seat assignment. Do you think that sounds OK?

With an electronic ticket, I believe you must check-in ON LINE before boarding. 

With a paper ticket , you would validate the ticket at a machine at the station, but with an electronic ticket your check-in/validation is done on-line, ON the day of travel.  Hopefully the details were provided with your e-ticket purchase.