Maleth confirms end of P&O partnership

minsterman

1 minute ago, Megabear2 said:

She was correct in that last year was indeed Virgin to Antigua and mostly TUI to Barbados.  She no doubt had no further information than that.

What a lot aren't taking into account either is that last year only Britannia had a full Caribbean season with Arvia not joining her out in the Caribbean until.after Christmas.  Organising flights would have been.much easier.  This is Arvia's first full season and even then she's going late.  The non availbility of flights caused her to do two extra Med cruises rather than as planned.  Alarm bells must have been sounding back then.

Too true, I believe many people are attracted by price and the promise to of winter sun and will not be deterred by this, indeed we have long time cruise friends who would take this on the chin. A few years ago we flew with Thomas Cook to meet the Azura  in Barbados, the flight was awful. By contrast we did 26 night QM2 to the Caribbean via New York more recently. I am a very poor flier despite having flown so often. These days I want to be comfortable and the change just doesn’t suit. We are now looking to repeat the QM2 experience. 

• Like 1

Just now, Pasty feet said:

Too true, I believe many people are attracted by price and the promise of winter sun and will not be deterred by this, indeed we have long time cruise friends who would take this on the chin. A few years ago we flew with Thomas Cook to meet the Azura  in Barbados, the flight was awful. By contrast we did 26 night QM2 to the Caribbean via New York more recently. I am a very poor flier despite having flown so often. These days I want to be comfortable and the change just doesn’t suit. We are now looking to repeat the QM2 experience. 

Just now, Pasty feet said:

Too true, I believe many people are attracted by price and the promise to of winter sun and will not be deterred by this, indeed we have long time cruise friends who would take this on the chin. A few years ago we flew with Thomas Cook to meet the Azura  in Barbados, the flight was awful. By contrast we did 26 night QM2 to the Caribbean via New York more recently. I am a very poor flier despite having flown so often. These days I want to be comfortable and the change just doesn’t suit. We are now looking to repeat the QM2 experience. 

Enjoy.  I'm joining her for 35 nights in January 2025. 

Just now, Megabear2 said:

Just now, Megabear2 said:

Very interesting, we looked at this or is it the Ventura but were a bit deterred by the ship being older.  Have you sailed on her before?  We did like that she’s adult only.  I wonder if this May suit. Really the Arvia wasn’t exactly for us so the change of flight sealed the deal. More info would be very welcome. 

16 minutes ago, Pasty feet said:

Like you I don't enjoy flying despite having flown many times

I guess it's something we have to do though

Many years ago we were sat at a New Year's Eve banquet at Center Parcs and next to me was a plastic surgeon from Yorkshire

He said to me "the one thing I would advise anybody in life is if you can afford it fly first class or business class. Your holidays start when you arrive at your lounge in the airport and you will start to love flying"

Etc

I took his advice but when I looked at the extra costs these were more than we were paying for our entire holidays to start with and prohibitive to us

We have done it once to New York we bid for the upgrades in one of those flight auctions they have

Really loved it. But as of now we can't afford to do it with the amount of holidays we hope to have from now on in 

Can't blame anyone who does and can afford it. Does make flying enjoyable. First class and business class that is

From what you guys describe I think PE just makes flights more bearable rather than necessarily something to savour every minute of?

My comments about premium economy are purely about what I consider the high cost they are all charging for what little they actually give back in return IMO

But still don't blame anyone who can afford it and values it. Maybe I am underestimating how comfortable it makes the flight?

Edited by Interestedcruisefan

18 minutes ago, Pasty feet said:

Very interesting, we looked at this or is it the Ventura but were a bit deterred by the ship being older.  Have you sailed on her before?  We did like that she’s adult only.  I wonder if this May suit. Really the Arvia wasn’t exactly for us so the change of flight sealed the deal. More info would be very welcome. 

Ventura is not adult only.  Only Arcadia and Aurora.

22 minutes ago, Interestedcruisefan said:

Like you I don't enjoy flying despite having flown many times

I guess it's something we have to do though

Many years ago we were sat at a New Year's Eve banquet at Center Parcs and next to me was a plastic surgeon from Yorkshire

He said to me "the one thing I would advise anybody in life is if you can afford it fly first class or business class. Your holidays start when you arrive at your lounge in the airport and you will start to love flying"

Etc

I took his advice but when I looked at the extra costs these were more than we were paying for our entire holidays to start with and prohibitive to us

We have done it once to New York we bid for the upgrades in one of those flight auctions they have

Really loved it. But as of now we can't afford to do it with the amount of holidays we hope to have from now on in 

Can't blame anyone who does and can afford it. Does make flying enjoyable. First class and business class that is

From what you guys describe I think PE just makes flights more bearable rather than necessarily something to savour every minute of?

My comments about premium economy are purely about what I consider the high cost they are all charging for what little they actually give back in return IMO

But still don't blame anyone who can afford it and values it. Maybe I am underestimating how comfortable it makes the flight?

Well said 

52 minutes ago, Pasty feet said:

Would you recommend any particular ship please. 

Not really, we have cruised on small mid and fairly large ships with different companies. We are so laid back that nothing really bothers us whereas I don't know your likes and dislikes. We have done the 35 nights several times on Ventura as it just happens to be the ship P&O typically uses, we are booked on Iona for 2025, now I probably wouldn't cruise for two weeks in the med on Iona but feel that she will suit us just fine in the Caribbean. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, yorkshirephil said:

Not really, we have cruised on small mid and fairly large ships with different companies. We are so laid back that nothing really bothers us whereas I don't know your likes and dislikes. We have done the 35 nights several times on Ventura as it just happens to be the ship P&O typically uses, we are booked on Iona for 2025, now I probably wouldn't cruise for two weeks in the med on Iona but feel that she will suit us just fine in the Caribbean. 

Thanks anyway. Have a great time. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, jeanlyon said:

People's views of the ships differ.  I like the smaller traditional ones and those are adullt only.  I woud never go on Arvia, Iona or Britannia.  Did try Azura but wasn't keen.  too big.  Others love the big ships.

Yes, we didn’t like aspects of the Arvia or Iona despite them being lovely ships.  We’d like to experience the cabin standard we had on both on an adult only cruise with traditional dining etc As you so rightly say, it’s horses for courses and they can’t please everyone. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Megabear2 said:

Whilst fully accepting the legroom/comfort issue is the main reason for upgrading (I do it myself when flying with my husband), I'm intrigued as to what those who say no PE or legroom won't go would do if their aircraft was changed at the last minute.  I fly numerous times a year, both long and short haul.  Over the years I've turned up at the airport and it's not the plane I'd expected, sometimes a replacement aircraft of a different type with different seating layout and on others a substitute aircraft from some unknown charter company swapped in by the airline to prevent flight cancellation.

I just accept it as these things are not guaranteed.  Do others book just expecting things won't change or what?  If for instance on the day there's no PE that you paid for would you choose not to travel because you won't fly without that extra space or do you just go with the offering on the day and claim your money back and seek recompense for your not getting the flight you wanted?

Pre-Covid, I suspect that we flew more than most people, largely due to DH’s job (weekly flights and I would often join him) plus at least 2 long haul per year and yes, very occasionally flights were changed and of course we’ve experienced everything over the decades - flights cancelled at the last minute, lost luggage, changed aircraft etc.  But the ones that come to mind are BA once went tech flying back from Orlando (booked PE) and they put us on a Virgin flight, also in PE. 

Probably the situation that is most similar to what applies here is flying to Orlando with Thomson (pre TUI name) with the family some years ago (should have been Dreamliner both ways) and shortly before, the outbound aircraft was swapped for an Air Tanker with no PE section just a few weeks before departure.  Now as DH is over 6ft and our son is 6ft 7in this caused us some concern, which turned out to be without foundation, because Thomson looked after everyone who had booked PE very well. Not only did they give us back the extra fare we had paid but they allocated a large separate section at the front of the aircraft for the exclusive use of those who had booked PE - and there were lots of empty seats; our group of 4 adults and 2 young children, were able to spread out with 2 x 2 at the side plus 2 x 3 (or was it 4?) in the centre section! The seat pitch was the same as in the back but the extra seats made all the difference.

As is often the case, it’s how these things are dealt with that people remember.  But, had I been on one of the affected flights now, and before final payment, I would be cancelling!  If we were shorter, lighter and younger, maybe not 😉

• Like 5

4 minutes ago, JeanieC,Aston said:

Didn’t I read here some of these aircraft are being used as cargo,,,when they put the seats back in couldn’t they leave a few rows out to at least give those who booked PE some leg room.

Some of the fleet are already passenger variants from Saudi the newest one coming from Blue Panorama also ex Qatar 9H-RTU

• Like 1

There are seven aircraft, two of which are apparently going to carry P&O passengers so no doubt conversation will be going on.

I do find it interesting that to date nowhere either here or on social media has anyone actually come up with an idea or suggestion of what alternative P&O could have offered.  That's probably because short of cancelling the cruises or at the very least the 30%  of passengers they are having to offer these flights to there really doesn't seem to be an alternative they could offer.

• Like 4

40 minutes ago, Pasty feet said:

Yes, we didn’t like aspects of the Arvia or Iona despite them being lovely ships.  We’d like to experience the cabin standard we had on both on an adult only cruise with traditional dining etc As you so rightly say, it’s horses for courses and they can’t please everyone. 

We found our standard balcony cabin on Ventura very comfortable when we did a 35 night cruise. Our standard balcony cabin on Iona was light and airy, but very cramped - very little room at the foot of the bed and very difficult to use the wardrobe as it opened towards my side of the bed. No drawers or a proper bedside cabinet either. I don’t think a long cruise would be as comfortable on Iona. 

• Like 2

On 9/19/2023 at 4:28 PM, Sooty04 said:

Some people seem to be missing the point.  P&O’s website states they use TUI or BA from London to the Caribbean not Maleth Aero.  Maleth Aero only have seven aircraft and in the last 4 years they have had 3 air incidents.  Would you want to fly with them?

n.b.  It has nothing to do with the in flight entertainment etc.

I can well imagine the airline details along with other things are covered by phrases like subject to change due to operational requirements!

Travel history is full of similar incidents,for one I remember Lion Air,a charter company used by travel companies back in the 80/90's,always in the news seemingly because of problems with an ageing 747 which became known as the flying pig!

I had to chuckle at the " full 8 hour flight without entertainment" complaints,that was pretty normal until fairly recently IME,we have done many flights to & from the States with no or little entertainment provided,we are used to taking a book,puzzler & or a Walkman to pass the time,including a direct flight from Manchester to Honolulu years ago which took 20 hours,mind you the drinks were free so that helped!😀

Edited by snaefell

9 hours ago, carlanthony24 said:

BA this year been using Finnair and Air Belgium. Swiss have had to use Air Baltic. I know some people have said even if the aircraft is swapped last minute they will not go. Wondering how many of these people go on short haul flights?

Short haul no issue. We flew Finnair on a BA flight last week from Naples and it was fine. Long haul is a different story. We fly to Mauritius and Maldives on a regular basis. I pick my flights / package based on the airline. I avoid Air Mauritius like the plague even though they fly direct.

By the way it was impossible to get through to P&O and my TA today as they were obviously dealing with unhappy customers. All I wanted to do was pick my TUI seats.  

1 hour ago, Ardennais said:

We found our standard balcony cabin on Ventura very comfortable when we did a 35 night cruise. Our standard balcony cabin on Iona was light and airy, but very cramped - very little room at the foot of the bed and very difficult to use the wardrobe as it opened towards my side of the bed. No drawers or a proper bedside cabinet either. I don’t think a long cruise would be as comfortable on Iona. 

We had gorgeous deluxe balcony on the curvy bit midships both times on Arvia and Iona respectively.  Huge 3 seater settee, plenty of storage and lovely balcony on  decks 10 and 11 on each occasion. Can’t recommend cabin enough. Shame about other aspects which let a beautiful ship down. Such a pity but it saved our cruise both times, gave us a superb refuge from lots of bad, selfish behaviour. Change of flights led to us cancelling. Very happy with our decision. 

52 minutes ago, doog442 said:

Short haul no issue. We flew Finnair on a BA flight last week from Naples and it was fine. Long haul is a different story. We fly to Mauritius and Maldives on a regular basis. I pick my flights / package based on the airline. I avoid Air Mauritius like the plague even though they fly direct.

By the way it was impossible to get through to P&O and my TA today as they were obviously dealing with unhappy customers. All I wanted to do was pick my TUI seats.