Confused about Mariner Days Awarded

My wife and I have now been on two 7 night cruises with HAL. My profile shows 28 mariner points. Previously I had thought this was simply the combined total of both her and my nights cruising (14 + 14). I now see that is incorrect. In fact it shows that I have 14 nights of points and 14 points thanks to onboard spending. It's the onboard spending portion that confuses me. And to be clear, I'm not complaining, just trying to understand.
Both times we sailed, we had nowhere near the amount of onboard spending we would have needed to have to get 7 points. My understanding is it is 1 point per $300 of onboard spending. When I look at my statement from each of those cruises, we spent less than $300 total each sailing. We did have the HIA package both times, but even if I were to include all the drinks and internet each day, it doesn't come close to $300 per day. 
Again, I'm certainly not complaining about being awarded extra points faster, just trying to determine how I got them. Can anyone shed any light on this?

When you have HIA, you get credit for full cost of package, including 15 drinks, as part of onboard spending, as well as what the full cost of Internet and HIA dinner and excursions would be as if you had purchased them separately. I always get full bonus spending credits when I have HIA. 

Edited by Ready2go11
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 2

Basically, just the SBP for two people (in a room) is 11x15x2= $330 PER DAY. You don't have to spend anything else!

ETA: I worked this out when we had just SBP, before HIA was a thing. We didn't even pay rack-rate for the SBP but got it as part of a promotion!  

Edited by crystalspin
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, crystalspin said:

Basically, just the SBP for two people (in a room) is 11x15x2= $330. You don't have to spend anything else!

Do you get the full benefit of that regardless of if you drink 1 or 15 drinks per day? 😄

11 hours ago, bobomonkeyrage said:

Wow. Thanks for the info everyone! 
I had no idea that HIA included that extra bonus. 

Yes, it is great but just an FYI, you cannot have more of a spending bonus than days sailed on that cruise.

You also receive double sailing days points if you sail in a Vista, Signature, Neptune or Pinnacle suite in addition to the spending bonus.

13 hours ago, crystalspin said:

Yes!!! Isn't that crazy?!!

My guess is that since they include beverage spend under the HIA, they just calculate at Max so passengers do not just order drinks up to the limit each day and just dump them out, or promote overconsumption.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, crystalspin said:

Basically, just the SBP for two people (in a room) is 11x15x2= $330 PER DAY. You don't have to spend anything else!

ETA: I worked this out when we had just SBP, before HIA was a thing. We didn't even pay rack-rate for the SBP but got it as part of a promotion!  

Do you know (or if) this works regarding the non-alcoholic beverage package? We both had the Quench package on our first Holland cruise, and got more points than I was expecting - I couldn't make the math work out, as there was no way we spent $2,100, but got seven bonus points.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Rubyfisch said:

Do you know (or if) this works regarding the non-alcoholic beverage package? We both had the Quench package on our first Holland cruise, and got more points than I was expecting - I couldn't make the math work out,

I don't know the per-drink value/limit on the Quench package, but it would make sense that the apply 15 times that value per person! Congrats!

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, crystalspin said:

I don't know the per-drink value/limit on the Quench package, but it would make sense that the apply 15 times that value per person! Congrats!

I wonder if it is the mocktail price. We have it booked for our May sailing as well - maybe I'll be about do some more math and figure out, as I'm not sure we are going to have much else onboard spending other that and gratuities.

I would be REALLY happy if they gave me two mariner points per day since I am paying twice the per person double occupancy fare as a solo!  I'm told Princess gives solos paying double a double credit! (both are Carnival Corp. lines)

😒

~Nancy

Edited by oakridger
  • Like 5

10 hours ago, Rubyfisch said:

I wonder if it is the mocktail price. We have it booked for our May sailing as well - maybe I'll be about do some more math and figure out, as I'm not sure we are going to have much else onboard spending other that and gratuities.

The spend day calculation package for booze packages is 15 drinks up to the per drink limit for whatever package you have. 15 x the most expensive drink your package covers x the number of days. For the quench package that would appear to be mocktails? Is there any limit on number of drinks for anything covered under the quench package?

Edited by Cruising Is Bliss

1 hour ago, shippmates said:

So if I am reading this correctly on my 42 night sailing with HIA I will get a spending bonus of 42 days. Sure won't take me long to get to 4* at this rate.

That's the problem.  In just a few years everyone will be a 4* and then HAL will need to water down the benefits of the program.  4* will become the new 2*