Chair Hogs

twoshay

I've always viewed the situation as suggestions from the cruise line, for example the cruise line saying: did you forget your sunscreen? here's half a bottle, perhaps you would enjoy this book, did you forget your flip flops, try these, enjoy this pair of sunglasses, here's a half a bottle of water on us. Have I been wrong this whole time?

• Like 1
  • Haha 6

1 hour ago, happywandering said:

Rotterdam staff said they recognized this problem in January when I sailed.  I was told that staff was told to time and remove.  Do they?

No. But you can always hope.

One of the recent HAL survey questions did ask if we would pay extra to have a reserved Lido lounger, along with the question whether we would also pay to have a staff member apply sunscreen. (!)

I guess this is where they felt they needed to go, after hearing about chair hogs. I wonder what the final results of that survey turned out to be. I do think applying and noticing timing restrictions are the best way to check this issue in the bud.

Plus a "pre-flight" video explaining some of the onboard courtesies,  now that one has chosen to share limited space with a few thousand other people. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, OlsSalt said:

One of the recent HAL survey questions did ask if we would pay extra to have a reserved Lido lounger, along with the question whether we would also pay to have a staff member apply sunscreen. (!)

I guess this is where they felt they needed to go, after hearing about chair hogs. I wonder what the final results of that survey turned out to be. I do think applying and noticing timing restrictions are the best way to check this issue in the bud.

Plus a "pre-flight" video explaining some of the onboard courtesies,  now that one has chosen to share limited space with a few thousand other people. 

The apply sunscreen offering made me laugh.  How ridiculous.

• Haha 2

22 hours ago, Bolt. said:

I always wonder if I'm on the borderline of being a chair hog. I do come early, get some lido breakfast, and come back to eat it with various members of my family coming and going. I regularly go to the washroom, into the pool, or to get a snack. Occasionally I may pop back to my room if I forgot something. I don't think I often exceed 20 minutes away: but maybe that happens from time to time?

Members of my family come and go all day, but usually we 'keep' 4 chairs even if all 4 of us aren't present at the time. (We usually occupy a 4-chair nook. I can't see other folks genuinely wanting to share a nook with another family, but we would make space to do so, if anyone asked.)

Do you guys think I need to change my ways? (Please be nice if I do. I really am someone who is open to learning and changing if I'm on the wrong side of good manners.)

Yes, you are chair hogs

• Like 4

Here is the official definition of a chair hog (Websters (not really)):

Chair Hog:  a person who “reserves” a deck chair in a prime location… and then go off to do something else on the ship

• Like 7

On 2/24/2024 at 2:42 PM, Bolt. said:

I always wonder if I'm on the borderline of being a chair hog. I do come early, get some lido breakfast, and come back to eat it with various members of my family coming and going. I regularly go to the washroom, into the pool, or to get a snack. Occasionally I may pop back to my room if I forgot something. I don't think I often exceed 20 minutes away: but maybe that happens from time to time?

Members of my family come and go all day, but usually we 'keep' 4 chairs even if all 4 of us aren't present at the time. (We usually occupy a 4-chair nook. I can't see other folks genuinely wanting to share a nook with another family, but we would make space to do so, if anyone asked.)

Do you guys think I need to change my ways? (Please be nice if I do. I really am someone who is open to learning and changing if I'm on the wrong side of good manners.)

Most definitely a chair hog.  

• Like 4

On 2/24/2024 at 11:42 AM, Bolt. said:

Yes. Unless all 4 people are there simultaneously, you are a chair hog. If each person is gone for only 20 minutes at a time and the majority of the time you are all there, then no.

• Like 2

It is instinctive,  they bring 4 or 5 towels neatly arrange, attach their clips, they are building their nest for the day. Watch it is comical.

Edited by Rudy888
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

Chair hogs are not only on cruise ships.  We were just at an all inclusive resort and the chair hogs were out in force there too.  There were signs saying it wasn't allowed, but there didn't seem to be any policing of the policy.  

i will grant you that asking crew to enforce the rules puts them in a "unfriendly" spot.  They are trying so hard to be accommodating and welcoming.  The question becomes if they don't who will?  No children in the adult pool?  Use the chair or remove your stuff so others may? Smoking in designated areas only?  Are they really rules?

• Like 1

On 2/24/2024 at 11:42 AM, Bolt. said:

You say you make space if asked, but the thing is nobody is gonna come and ask you. Why put the onus on somebody to come and tell you not to behave this way? You say you’d move to make space, but I would venture to say you’ll give them plenty of eye rolls and sighing noises to let them know you are annoyed.

Yes, you need to change your ways. You are being a chair hog if you are occupying that space all day just so that your party will have someplace to sit IF they are there, while people who ARE there don’t have anywhere to sit. 

it’s not cool for one person to sit there all day and save seats just in case the other three decide to come back.

• Like 13
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, happywandering said:

i will grant you that asking crew to enforce the rules puts them in a "unfriendly" spot. 

Very true.

Totally un-winnable for the crew......What the crew is thinking......

If I do not get rid of the chair hog stuff, then non-chair hog folks (who want a place to lounge) are upset.

If I do get rid of the chair hog stuff, then chair-hog folks (who are the chair hogs) are upset.

Perhaps this is a job for HAL security......working HAL security has got to be somewhat of a lighter duty than say security on Carnival....  Perhaps they can come around like the meter maids do and document and confiscate chair hogs possessions several times a day......Make it a fun activity....perhaps have security come out with a Sousa march being led by the HAL dancers as they go around with authority to help end the nightmare.......LOL.

I love complex first world problems.

• Haha 3

3 hours ago, cbr663 said:

Most definitely a chair hog.  

Yes, "keeping four chairs all day, whether they are occupied or not" is completely being a hog. I see rows like that and think that gee, I paid for this cruise, too.  What gives.

• Like 11
  • Thanks 1

37 minutes ago, albingirl said:

Yes, "keeping four chairs all day, whether they are occupied or not" is completely being a hog. I see rows like that and think that gee, I paid for this cruise, too.  What gives.

I had originally written the same thing in my post but decided to delete it as people were posting that a chair hog is someone who claims a chair and then leaves it empty much of the time.  I feel a chair hog is also someone who claims a public space for themselves and uses it all day at the expense of everyone else.  

I noticed on our last cruise that someone was squatting in the library.  They had lots of dirty mugs and plates around them and were using the library as a place to use their computer.  We dropped in the library throughout the day and this person was always there.  Sad to say, but yes, chair hogs are also in the library, and there are so few chairs there.

• Like 5

The clips, the towels wrapped so tightly around the chair that they don't need clips, the immaculately arranged monogrammed towels.

You'll find thoughtless and inconsiderate behavior everywhere. The library squatter above is an example of that. But these people came prepared. They've had practice on this. Somebody somewhere is not only telling people that this is okay, they're developing strategies! 

I have no problem with the person in the library (or anywhere else) for a long time, as they are actually using the chair. I don't approve of people using their laptops at the computer desks, as they are preventing someone else from using the computer. Or, when a couple comes in to use the computer and takes two chairs; again, they are preventing someone from using the other computer. 

It's when someone has claimed a chair, then goes off and uses another chair somewhere else, that I consider them a chair hog. 
One butt gets one seat at a time. 

• Like 11

Deck Two aft on the old Rotterdam:  This was a "secret back deck", with loungers open to anyone.  But a real treat for those in  ocean view and inside  cabins on Deck  1 & 2. It was our shared "verandah". 

Except on one segment early in the day,  a few people up-ended a couple of loungers on their sides, draped towels and created a hidden fortress. Then left trays from the Lido with empty plates all around it.  Back then the Lido had trays.

Or who knows, maybe they were also ordering room service delivered to their own private Chair Hog Haven.

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, kelliebiz said:

You say you make space if asked, but the thing is nobody is gonna come and ask you. Why put the onus on somebody to come and tell you not to behave this way? You say you’d move to make space, but I would venture to say you’ll give them plenty of eye rolls and sighing noises to let them know you are annoyed.

Yes, you need to change your ways. You are being a chair hog if you are occupying that space all day just so that your party will have someplace to sit IF they are there, while people who ARE there don’t have anywhere to sit. 

it’s not cool for one person to sit there all day and save seats just in case the other three decide to come back.

I couldn't have said it better

• Like 1

1 hour ago, cbr663 said:

I had originally written the same thing in my post but decided to delete it as people were posting that a chair hog is someone who claims a chair and then leaves it empty much of the time.  I feel a chair hog is also someone who claims a public space for themselves and uses it all day at the expense of everyone else.  

I noticed on our last cruise that someone was squatting in the library.  They had lots of dirty mugs and plates around them and were using the library as a place to use their computer.  We dropped in the library throughout the day and this person was always there.  Sad to say, but yes, chair hogs are also in the library, and there are so few chairs there.

Hmmmm, but he was occupying said chair, wasn’t he?

Did he leave his chair for extended periods of time?

Seems to me that as long as he  continually occupied said chair, this doesn’t meet the definition of a chair hog. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1