Car Rental Bar Harbor Maine

We will be visiting Bar Harbor this spring on a cruise. We would like to get a car and see Acadia National Park and some of Mount Desert Island (Bass Harbor lighthouse too). Does anyone rent cars in town?  There are rental companies off the island at a small airport, but is too far away.  I don't want to waste the little time we have chasing a rental car.  Any other alternatives?

Thanks for any help.

Hi Funseeker,

Yes, you can rent a car in Bar Harbor.  Turo has a rental cars there.  We rented a Nissan Pathfinder there last year. It worked perfect.  The car was waiting for us right on the street where you land!  We had plenty of time to explore.  I highly recommend.

Check out Acadia Gem. We rented one of these adorable 4 seater EVs and loved it! Granted, you can’t go on any highways due to speed limitations, but actually made it up Cadillac Mountain(reservations required) and took 2 trips around the park loop with numerous stops and walks/hikes. Would do it again in a flash!

• Like 1

Thanks for the info.  I am not familiar with Turo.  What is that like?  I saw the gem car ad. I don't think one of those little cars is for us.  They are very pricey, and look a little sketchy, maybe scary going down the mountain 🫣.  I will look into Turo.

1 hour ago, Funseeker-111 said:

Thanks for the info.  I am not familiar with Turo.  What is that like?  I saw the gem car ad. I don't think one of those little cars is for us.  They are very pricey, and look a little sketchy, maybe scary going down the mountain 🫣.  I will look into Turo.

Turo is a peer-to-peer car sharing platform. It's like Airbnb, but for car rentals. You're renting from the individual car owner, not from a car rental company. There's the possibility that your personal automobile insurance won't cover a Turo rental so you need to check your policy. You also don't have any idea of the honesty of the Turo listing as to the car's condition.

I'm not suggesting that you shouldn't use it, I'm just suggesting that if you do you should be aware of possible negatives.

We have found Turo to better than the companies.  We have used it several times. Orlando, Myrtle Beach, Bar Harbor.  The car that is pictured is the car you get.  Rental companies never give you the car you reserve. The car in Bar Harbor was perfect, clean and delivered right to us.  They had done many cruise passengers. Check it out.

https://turo.com/us/en/suv-rental/united-states/hancock-me/nissan/pathfinder/1485250

7 hours ago, elcuchio24 said:

There is an Enterprise in Trenton I believe, which isn't far. Not sure if they pick up from the port or would deliver a vehicle, but might want to look into it. 

That's the airport. Too far from the port.

On 2/25/2024 at 5:24 PM, OceanExplorer1 said:

We have found Turo to better than the companies.  We have used it several times. Orlando, Myrtle Beach, Bar Harbor.  The car that is pictured is the car you get.  Rental companies never give you the car you reserve. The car in Bar Harbor was perfect, clean and delivered right to us.  They had done many cruise passengers. Check it out.

https://turo.com/us/en/suv-rental/united-states/hancock-me/nissan/pathfinder/1485250

Thanks Explorer, I followed the link.  This couple has been renting their vehicle for 2 years and has at least 40 5-star reviews by cruisers.  Many comment how they had the car waiting right where they got off the tender, and the car was perfect and clean.  So I have booked.  I love that we will not waste time since we only have 10 hours to explore.  I am so excited to visit the island. Thanks for the pro tip.