Getting around Monoco and Eze

LSUkat

We are sailing into the port in Monoco on Sunday, April 21, 2024. I am reading that this port is walkable and can be explored on your own. Is this your experience? Can someone please tell me if there are cabs and other sources of transportation in the area that can take us to and from Eze. I am skeptal about taking a bus that will eat up our time. I think I read that it takes over an hour to get to Eze by bus and that they don't run too frequently. Any tips you can share about visiting this port will be greatly appreciated. Also, will that fact that we visit on a Sunday impact our visit, such as transportation or businesses being open in Eze.

Thank you.

I think the OP has done their "homework" and does a very good job framing the issues.  Yes, Eze is somewhat of a pain in terms of getting there and back from MC.   The public buses do run on an infrequent schedule (even more so on Sundays) and using the bus means planning your entire day's schedule around the public bus.  

Taxis are not a problem (relatively easy to find in MC) other than the cost.  Taxis in MC (and France) are expensive.  There may or may not be some empty taxis waiting at Eze (there is a parking lot right at the main entrance where taxis pick-up/drop and the bus stop is also in that area.  You can certainly ask your taxi to come back for a pick-up or leave you a card so you can call.  Another option, which might make sense, is to take a taxi to Eze, check the bus schedule when you arrive (it is at the bus stop) and time your visit so you can take the public bus back to MC.  

As to Eze Village, we have long had mixed emotions.  It is an interesting town (in terms of architecture) and offers stunning views (from the side overlooking the sea).  At one time the shops were very "arty" with quite a few decent galleries.  Unfortunately, the mix of shops has gradually shifted to tourist-oriented shops (i.e, refrigerator magnets, junk, etc).   There are a few places where one can enjoy lunch although one can debate the "value" of the cafes/restaurants within Eze.  Also keep in mind there are slopes, steps, and some uneven surfaces so folks who are mobility challenged will need to take their time moving about.

The first time we went to this part of France was on the old (and very small) Regent Spirit (about 13,000 tons) cruise ship which was owned by Regency Cruise Lines.  That line later went bankrupt (and stranded many passengers).  Two of our entertainers were from Nice and we asked them, "what should we do in Nice on a Sunday."  Without missing a beat they both answered, "go to St Paul de Vence."  Neither of them suggested Eze.  Go figure.  And to this day we still adore St Paul de Vence (even though it has also become too touristy) and think of Eze as a place we will stop (as an afterthought) when on driving trips in the area.  And getting to St Paul de Vence from MC is even more difficult than going to Eze, unless one has a rental car.

Hank

• Like 3

56 minutes ago, Hlitner said:

Also keep in mind there are slopes, steps, and some uneven surfaces so folks who are mobility challenged will need to take their time moving about.

The flat level places in Eze were few and far between. The cafes and restaurants were crowded. But we enjoyed the visit and the views from Jardin d’Eze were incredible. We are glad we went (via bus from Nice).

• Like 2

I would try to find a tour that takes you to several places.  Although we ported at a nearby port, not Monaco, we did an independent tour that took us to Monaco, St. Paul Vence, Nice and Eze.  We greatly enjoyed it all, but especially St. Paul de Vence.

Edited by Nebr.cruiser
  • Like 2

8 minutes ago, Nebr.cruiser said:

I would try to find a tour that takes you to several places.  Although we ported at a nearby port, not Monaco, we did an independent tour that took us to Monaco, St. Paul Vence, Nice and Eze.  We greatly enjoyed it all, but especially St. Paul de Vence.

Friends have asked us, in the past, to compare St Paul de Vence with Eze Village.  While they are both very old walled towns, there are many differences.  For starters, St Paul de Vence is inland (while Eze is within view of the Med coast) and much larger than Eze.  We also think that St Paul de Vence has more to offer art lovers as the town still has quite a few decent art stores/galleries.  Although both towns are major tourist destinations, St Paul de Vence is also quite popular with the French (both tourists and some locals).  

Just outside the main entrance to St Paul de Vence there sits a relatively large cafe/restaurant.  In front of that place there is a dirt field used, by locals, to play boules.  On Sunday mornings it is quite common to see a few local men having a spirited boules match, and I have always found that a delightful diversion and somewhat special since it shows how this popular tourist destination still has an active local cutlure.  Eze Village, on the other hand, becomes almost a ghost town in the winter/off season.  Some might disagree, but we just find St Paul de Vence more "genuine" (for the lack of a better word).

That being said, for cruisers who are ported in Monte Carlo for a normal port day, going to Eze Village is a terrific option.  I would honestly prefer to spend a few hours in Eze rather than in MC, although we do find some charm around the Palace in MC.  Going up to that area for the daily Changing of the Guard which happens every day at 11:55am.  It is a majestic ceremony and on many first-time visitors "do not miss" list.  The one time we did go up to see that ceremony we got an extra event when the Prince passed by (in his lovely car) on his way home (he had been out of the country for a tennis tournament.

Hank

Hank

• Like 3

5 hours ago, Hlitner said:

Some might disagree, but we just find St Paul de Vence more "genuine" (for the lack of a better word).

One of my fondest memories was staying for 4 nights at a boutique hotel on the outskirts of St Paul de Vence. It was wonderful to wander the streets in the morning and late afternoon when the day trippers had left. Your right about the wonderful artisan shops, I still have a pair of sandals I bought from there 6 years ago. 

We were lucky in that our hotel room had a terrace on a hill and so we could see the coastline from there.

I've been to both and like you enjoyed Eze but prefer St Paul.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Hlitner said:

Friends have asked us, in the past, to compare St Paul de Vence with Eze Village.  While they are both very old walled towns, there are many differences.  For starters, St Paul de Vence is inland (while Eze is within view of the Med coast) and much larger than Eze.  We also think that St Paul de Vence has more to offer art lovers as the town still has quite a few decent art stores/galleries.  Although both towns are major tourist destinations, St Paul de Vence is also quite popular with the French (both tourists and some locals).  

Just outside the main entrance to St Paul de Vence there sits a relatively large cafe/restaurant.  In front of that place there is a dirt field used, by locals, to play boules.  On Sunday mornings it is quite common to see a few local men having a spirited boules match, and I have always found that a delightful diversion and somewhat special since it shows how this popular tourist destination still has an active local cutlure.  Eze Village, on the other hand, becomes almost a ghost town in the winter/off season.  Some might disagree, but we just find St Paul de Vence more "genuine" (for the lack of a better word).

That being said, for cruisers who are ported in Monte Carlo for a normal port day, going to Eze Village is a terrific option.  I would honestly prefer to spend a few hours in Eze rather than in MC, although we do find some charm around the Palace in MC.  Going up to that area for the daily Changing of the Guard which happens every day at 11:55am.  It is a majestic ceremony and on many first-time visitors "do not miss" list.  The one time we did go up to see that ceremony we got an extra event when the Prince passed by (in his lovely car) on his way home (he had been out of the country for a tennis tournament.

Hank

Hank

The men were playing boules the day they were there.  One of my favorite memories along with wandering the charming streets and eating wonderful crepes--and my husband found of the best licorice he has ever tasted.  I'm not a licorice fan, but he loved it.  Monaco was fine, but I enjoyed the feel of a at least somewhat real French village.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Nebr.cruiser said:

The men were playing boules the day they were there.  One of my favorite memories along with wandering the charming streets and eating wonderful crepes--and my husband found of the best licorice he has ever tasted.  I'm not a licorice fan, but he loved it.  Monaco was fine, but I enjoyed the feel of a at least somewhat real French village.

The boules game (outside St Paul de Vence) always catches my interest.  If the local men (I have never seen a lady playing) seem to be having fun, DW and I will often stop at the adjacent cafe for a beverage while we watch.   Many of the older guys have a magnet on the end of a string they use to pick-up the boules (these are heavy metal balls) so they do not need to bend down :).  Very smart.

Hank

• Like 1