Linked reservations- unlinking?

I have linked my group of 8 guests together, only problem is they can all see each others personal information like what payments are due. I don’t mind but they do so they want this to be unlinked.   I cannot unlink them or delete or do anything to correct this.  I have spoken to 6 customer service reps at RC, all to no avail.  They don’t even understand what I’m talking about!  I am going to try calling them again and hope to get someone who can help.  In the meantime, I wanted to reach out to this forum to seek your advice.  Have you used the “link” option?  How has it been for dining? For the shows?  Any advice is appreciated.

With RCCL, the exposure to all those with linked reservations of payment dates, etc., is a factor of the linking process.  My understanding is it takes the whole reservation data of each and does not (and I think cannot) deselect certain information out of the view. This is perhaps a downside of the tool.  The RCCL reps certainly should be able to assist with scheduling questions, but may not be well versed with the details of the tool, and as a result, not able to make the adjustment you request.  

I think linking works well with dining and shows in that it helps coordinate and simplify the reservation process with the assurance that all of those linked together will have the same schedules, etc.  Caution must be taken, however, because any individual adjustments by anyone in the group will similarly affect all.  So you just need to communicate and coordinate your scheduling input - usually best if one in the group has that responsibility.

Understanding the process, we typically link reservations when traveling with others.

Edited by leaveitallbehind

We used the linked reservation option for a family cruise last year on Oasis. It was great! I was able to get on and make reservations for the comedy show for the adults, Aqua80 for everyone (but 1 kid, long story, but too many reservations and 5 people in a room complicated the linking a bit), Laser tag, etc. it was easy to pull up and see who in our group wanted to do something, and see if there was enough space for everyone. 

I was also able to help get everyone check-in times together because I had that access. It was especially helpful traveling with my parents who are technology challenged. I was able to make the internet and soda package reservations and they just paid for it. Super helpful for them. It was also helpful when figuring out shore excursions and CoCoCay things. 

Side note: if you use a travel agent, you can't see payment dates, etc for linked guests. 

1 hour ago, bestcee said:

Side note: if you use a travel agent, you can't see payment dates, etc for linked guests. 

I don't think that is the case as we booked our most recent Oasis through a TA with linked reservations, and I was the scheduler and could see all the payment information for the linked guest.

That has also been the case on previously linked reservations of ours booked through a TA.

5 hours ago, leaveitallbehind said:

I don't think that is the case as we booked our most recent Oasis through a TA with linked reservations, and I was the scheduler and could see all the payment information for the linked guest.

That has also been the case on previously linked reservations of ours booked through a TA.

So, your experience may vary I guess. I can't see payment information for linked reservations. And I couldn't see it for our oasis cruise. 

However, we linked them at Royal's site, not through our ta. Maybe that's the difference?

This is a technical issue with the website, since that is how you linked the reservations. I highly doubt anyone working in customer service can help you with this issue. Personally I would never link reservations on the website because it shows too much information, which you now know. For future reference, if you want to link reservations so you are seated together in the MDR, simply call customer service to have your reservations linked. 

9 hours ago, bestcee said:

So, your experience may vary I guess. I can't see payment information for linked reservations. And I couldn't see it for our oasis cruise. 

However, we linked them at Royal's site, not through our ta. Maybe that's the difference?

I've seen it both ways.  It may have to do with who the person is in the group who is doing the scheduling.  Who knows.  But in earlier years I don't recall seeing that so maybe it's something relatively new.

I got through to RC rep, Daniel, who seemed to know about linking guests but he could not unlink them.  He put in a ticket to RC IT (info tech) to do this.  Daniel said it should be done within 48 hours, it’s been 48 hours and still linked. The problem is when anyone in the group goes on and sees the others cruise info, it includes CREDITS.  One of our guests did not realize they were on the cruise details of another guest and ALMOST abused that credit for some the other guest would never use it for.  That’s one problem .  I think linking must be a great option based on what y’all said here, so I will use it when we get on the cruise ship not before.  

39 minutes ago, NMRoyal said:

I think linking must be a great option based on what y’all said here, so I will use it when we get on the cruise ship not before.  

Are you saying you will wait to link your bookings until you are on board, or to wait to schedule your reservations until you are on board - or both?  If you don't use it pre-cruise for scheduling then you are kind of defeating its purpose, which is to  synchronize pre cruise bookings and reservations within your group with desired events at desired times.  Reservations availability and preferred times are likely to be rather limited on board. 

BTW, once all final payments are made, that information is no longer on the linked bookings.  The OBC's - which are likely the same for all - will disappear as well if used in advance for on board bookings. (And really, what difference does it make if everyone can see that - they all have it). As long as all in the linked group are aware that any action taken by one can affect all, and one person is designated to make those bookings, all should be fine.

Its somewhat of a Catch-22 I guess, in that to your perspective, the negatives of the linking set up outweigh the benefits of the process, but waiting to eliminate those negatives on board eliminates the purpose of linking in the first place.

Hope you get it worked out to your satisfaction.

Update, Royal Caribbean has NOT been able to unlink the group.  I wanted to link us together when we got closer to the sail date as several in my group are uncomfortable with having their information shared.  For some reason NOT one person at RC can figure out how to do this. Lesson learned, next time I’ll wait to do this linking thing till the very last minute.   It has been quite the chore!  I know it will be worth it but right now it’s not.  Thanks to all who responded here, always so helpful and kind.  

• 2 months later...