A few questions about the Joy following her recent drydock

scgssny

53 minutes ago, scgssny said:

How many people is that for two? If we are sailing with two other friends and they just buy the Vibe pass I assume that we can share with them...unless the cabana police are going to be out 🙂  

The cabanas come with two Vibe passes.   You can only share your cabana with other Vibe passengers. 

48 minutes ago, scgssny said:

How many people is that for two? If we are sailing with two other friends and they just buy the Vibe pass I assume that we can share with them...unless the cabana police are going to be out 🙂  

They don't seem to be much more than a large "bed" with curtains on the sides.

Someone posted a pic and I wasn't impressed.

as there are no extra benefits to a "cabana", I doubt that there will be any cabana police!.

I'll try to find the picture.

2 hours ago, forgotmyCCname said:

Applies to Joy only as of2/28 for "the next month or so"

Vibe Cabanas are available on board only, 650 for the week.

Thermal Spa the same-only available to book on board. 299 per week or 80/day .

Thank you.  This is the most up to date information I have read so far.

I will continue to check daily.

On 2/27/2024 at 7:36 PM, princevaliantus said:

I wonder if anyone who has sailed since the upgrade has done OR can do a speedtest and post it. Very curious as to speed on Joy.

image.thumb.jpeg.0dae99820166a36b1fcbd32067171321.jpegFrom a post on another site for the standard plan coming back from dry dock on the TA

On 2/27/2024 at 4:08 AM, princevaliantus said:

Did they upgrade the Joy to Starlink or is it still slow and painful?

unfortunately, both of these things can simultaneously be true.

they did upgrade to starlink and it is still slow and painful, with throughput of about 2.5 mbps at its highest speed (for passengers)... they most likely upgraded broadband speeds for officers and some crew members, but have chosen to throttle speeds for pasengers.

11 hours ago, UKstages said:

unfortunately, both of these things can simultaneously be true.

they did upgrade to starlink and it is still slow and painful, with throughput of about 2.5 mbps at its highest speed (for passengers)... they most likely upgraded broadband speeds for officers and some crew members, but have chosen to throttle speeds for pasengers.

If 2.5mbps is the Standard package speed, has anyone tried the Streaming package to see what the speed is? It might be an increase in speed and worth getting.

i stopped buying the so-called streaming package after one purchase years ago. there was no perceptible difference. that was pre-starlink.

there have been scattered reports in this forum about how NCL internet managers on various ships (with starlink) have said not to bother buying the streaming service, as there really is not much of a difference. YMMV.

On 2/26/2024 at 4:06 PM, KyleDefends said:

I am booked on the March 9 Joy cruise.  I just checked and day passes are not available as of right now for the thermal suite.  I can buy a 7 day pass for $199 per person.  I have no idea if day passes will be available after we board.

We are on the April 9th sailing.  We've been checking every day and have not been able to book the thermal pass, get an error.  When we started looking about a month ago, the price was $149 for 5 day cruise.  Now it states that it is $229, still get an error when I try to purchase it.  And when I called my PCC, she checked and said it is sold out.  WTH?

4 minutes ago, blondie1746 said:

We are on the April 9th sailing.  We've been checking every day and have not been able to book the thermal pass, get an error.  When we started looking about a month ago, the price was $149 for 5 day cruise.  Now it states that it is $229, still get an error when I try to purchase it.  And when I called my PCC, she checked and said it is sold out.  WTH?

Why would anyone even pay $229 for a 5-day access to a thermal spa with no thermal pool?!?!

3 hours ago, UKstages said:

have said not to bother buying the streaming service, as there really is not much of a difference. YMMV.

Unless you need the streaming services or VPN, I don't think it makes a difference

2 hours ago, hallux said:

Unless you need the streaming services or VPN, I don't think it makes a difference

according to some who have tried the unlimited service, it doesn't make any difference for streaming. many have been able to stream without the upgraded "streaming" service. and many have been unhappy with the quality of streaming when they upgraded.

• Haha 1

51 minutes ago, UKstages said:

many have been able to stream without the upgraded "streaming" service

Interesting.  I wonder if someone botched a firewall configuration as the ports needed for typical streaming services would be blocked unless the streaming package was paid for.

1 hour ago, UKstages said:

according to some who have tried the unlimited service, it doesn't make any difference for streaming. many have been able to stream without the upgraded "streaming" service. and many have been unhappy with the quality of streaming when they upgraded.

Not true. The streaming service works great. I streamed movies and TV with no lag or delays 

5 hours ago, hallux said:

I wonder if someone botched a firewall configuration as the ports needed for typical streaming services would be blocked unless the streaming package was paid for.

i have never found that to be the case on NCL. with the regular internet package i can stream. it's choppy, there may be buffering but i can stream. (but that's pretty much what i experienced with the streaming package.) are you saying they are supposed to block known streaming services such as disney+, max, siriusxm, spotify, netflix and the like? i have never found that to be the case. my understanding of NCL's streaming package is that they allegedly increase the speed. that's the extent of it.

17 hours ago, UKstages said:

are you saying they are supposed to block known streaming services such as disney+, max, siriusxm, spotify, netflix and the like? i have never found that to be the case. my understanding of NCL's streaming package is that they allegedly increase the speed. that's the extent of it.

My understanding was different.  Maybe I didn't try the 'big ones' because I assumed it to be the case, but with the standard package I did find some things blocked that could be classified as 'streaming'.

On 3/1/2024 at 9:57 AM, JamieLogical said:

Why would anyone even pay $229 for a 5-day access to a thermal spa with no thermal pool?!?!

So disappointing. 

• Like 1