Windstar Caribbean Shore Excursions

Host Jazzbeau

We are booked on Star Pride's Star Collector: Windward Islands & Spanish New World itinerary in January 2025.  I have been waiting for the shore excursions to be posted, but there are still some open issues that I hope folks here can help me with.  [This itinerary seems to be offered a lot by Windstar, so I hope there will be folks who have already done it or researched it.]

(1)  Man-O-Way Bay, Tobago – has anyone taken the Argyle Waterfalls excursion?  comments on it?  This day also has the Watersports Platform listed – should we just stay on board and play with the toys?

(2)  Mayreau, the Grenadines – there is only one shore excursion listed, to Mopion (which is apparently a shade-less atoll - no thanks!).  But someone suggested that this may be the Signature Beach Party day – which isn't listed anywhere for my sailing.  Does that seem likely?  And just what is this beach party all about?  [Most importantly, is there shade?]

(3)  Soufriere, St. Lucia – I have booked the Concierge Collection: Taste of St. Lucia at Chef Orlando Satchell's restaurant.  Can anyone give it a review?

(4)  Willemstad, Curaçao – none of the shore excursions appeal, and we've already explored Willemstad twice.  The Curaçao Ostrich Farm sounds like a possiblity for a DIY via taxi – has anyone gone to it? [We're traveling without kids, so the question is its appeal for adults...]

(5)  Kralendijk, Bonaire – I'm thinking of taking the Glass Bottom Boat excursion.  @Abuckett gave the similar excursion on Tobago a bad review.  Is this one better?

(6)  Oranjestad, Aruba –  This is the turnaround day for my B2B, and the only excursion is for those leaving after the first leg and heading to the airport.  Is it likely that Windstar will offer something for the Star Collector passengers, or should I book a private tour?

Two local attractions that seem interesting are Arikok National Park, and Donkey Sanctuary Aruba.  Any reports?

(7)  Cartagena, Colombia – We have an overnight from 7 am the first day to 4 pm the second.  We will do Getsemani at Night on the first evening, and would like to visit the National Aviary on the second day (but Windstar hasn't scheduled that tour at all for this cruise).  Can I get a taxi to the National Aviary, or do I need to book a guide (with e.g. ToursByLocals)?

(8)  San Blas Islands, Panamá – nothing is offered except the Water Sports Platform, so I guess that's what we should plan to do?

(9)  Bocas del Toro, Panama – None of the three excursions appeals (snorkeling, lying on a beach, Indian Village Chocolate Farm).  Any ideas?

(10)  Balboa/Fuerte Amador/Panama City – we will be heading to the PTY airport for a 12:02 pm flight.  Will Windstar offer transfers?  or should I book a cab?

Thanks in advance for any and all help!

Jazzbeau,

While we have not been on that cruise, I can provide some comments some ports. 

Mayreau and San Blas are Beach BBQ days with loungers and umbrellas (enough for everyone) set up on beach, bar and food brought onshore plus local band, a very nice and relaxing day (the Veranda and the watersports platform are not open during the day/lunch on those days).

Great stop in Soufrière, the restaurant looks fantastic, rated one of the best in the Caribbean and the world.  Also you can do the Tet Paul nature trail which is easy and has beautiful vistas of the Pitons. Never been to Tobago but it looks unspoiled and the forest (Main Ridge Forest), from what I hear and read, is one of the oldest in the hemisphere. Argyle Falls also look nice and you can swim in the lagoon.  Reminds me of Dominica.  Beware however, while the stop is scheduled in Charlotteville (Man O' War Bay), because of northeasterly winds and swells in the Bay, the ship will often divert to Scarborough in the southern part of the island.  This is a much more commercial port and is an hour by car from Charlotteville (similar to Antigua when ship diverts from Falmouth/English Harbour to not so great St. John's).  Given you will be docked, the watersports platform will also not be open.

Turnaround day:  Doesn't look like they have much scheduled.  Turnaround days are nice on the ship because there is no one on it and all services are available.

Transfers:  Windstar offers transfers but much cheaper to just cab it

Sorry I cannot comment on the other ports as this is one of the cruises we are looking to do in 2025 just like you.  I also recommend, like you have done, that this cruise be done from Bridgetown to Panama and not the other way around given the strong easterly trade winds at your back when going east to Panama (it can be very windy when going east especially from Panama to Aruba).  I am sure others will chime in

• Thanks 1

Hi Jazzbeau - yes we found both glass bottom boat tours disappointing, almost unsafe. The boats were in pretty bad shape. I also think you have to remember this is the Caribbean and the islands for the most part are very poor. They rely on tourism but very often don’t have the infrastructure to put the tours together. 

• Thanks 1

16 hours ago, Host Jazzbeau said:

We are booked on Star Pride's Star Collector: Windward Islands & Spanish New World itinerary in January 2025.  I have been waiting for the shore excursions to be posted, but there are still some open issues that I hope folks here can help me with.  [This itinerary seems to be offered a lot by Windstar, so I hope there will be folks who have already done it or researched it.]

We have just returned from this Star Collector (and have done the first 7 days prior) so I will add my two cents in.

(1)  Man-O-Way Bay, Tobago – has anyone taken the Argyle Waterfalls excursion?  comments on it?  This day also has the Watersports Platform listed – should we just stay on board and play with the toys?

The first time we cruised we did this tour. If I remember correctly we were one of the first tours into the falls area which helped since there were other cruise ships in port that day and it got crowded. It's a pretty waterfall but it's just a waterfall.

(2)  Mayreau, the Grenadines – there is only one shore excursion listed, to Mopion (which is apparently a shade-less atoll - no thanks!).  But someone suggested that this may be the Signature Beach Party day – which isn't listed anywhere for my sailing.  Does that seem likely?  And just what is this beach party all about?  [Most importantly, is there shade?]

This will be your beach picnic day. There will be loungers set up on the beach.  Feel free to move them if the ones you choose don't have any shade. There will be live music and some locals with items to sell as you walk to the picnic area. All the toys will be at the beach for your use and the water sports platform will not be opened. This is a great day/beach day. Set up on your loungers. Hang in the water. Use the beach toys. Enjoy the bbq they set up. Alcohol package works here or you charge to your account if you don't have one. A wonderful, relaxing day. 

(3)  Soufriere, St. Lucia – I have booked the Concierge Collection: Taste of St. Lucia at Chef Orlando Satchell's restaurant.  Can anyone give it a review?

We went to Orlando's on our own the first time we were here. He is a wonderful chef and at that time, we were one of only two couples having lunch. We were treated like royalty. We did not do the tour this time since we had already eaten at his restaurant. I'm sure it was fun and the food fantastic. This go around we did the Aquaponics Farm Tour and thought it was wonderful! A bus ride to a generational farmer who has put in aquaponics in which tilapia fish help him raise vegetables for sale on the island. He is an entrepreneur and has such love for his land, his country and the environment. After the tour of his farm his cousin the chef made us lunch using the items grown on the farm. A fascinating tour and one of our favorites!

16 hours ago, Host Jazzbeau said:

(4)  Willemstad, Curaçao – none of the shore excursions appeal, and we've already explored Willemstad twice.  The Curaçao Ostrich Farm sounds like a possiblity for a DIY via taxi – has anyone gone to it? [We're traveling without kids, so the question is its appeal for adults...]

The first time here we took one of the ship's tour for a couple of hours and then wandered on our own. This is what we like best to do. There are some nice shops with local crafts and some bars and restaurants. Very easy to walk around. There are many bars along where the bridge is where you can sit and watch the bridge open and close.

(5)  Kralendijk, Bonaire – I'm thinking of taking the Glass Bottom Boat excursion.  @Abuckett gave the similar excursion on Tobago a bad review.  Is this one better?

The first time here we took WS's glass bottom boat. I do not snorkel so it let us see lots of fish. I would say it's a typical glass bottom boat experience. This is a very easy port to walk, shop, eat and drink in. There is a local brewery that opens at 11 a.m. that has some great Dutch appetizers and local beer and nice bartenders. We were in Bonaire late both times we have sailed here and both times we have made reservations at "It Rains Fishes" and had dinner. It is easily walkable and has wonderful food. Nice shopping here as well.

(6)  Oranjestad, Aruba –  This is the turnaround day for my B2B, and the only excursion is for those leaving after the first leg and heading to the airport.  Is it likely that Windstar will offer something for the Star Collector passengers, or should I book a private tour?

Our first cruise this was our last stop and we stayed in Aruba a few extra days. This go around it was our turnaround day. We walked down to a beach (just to see it) and then went and had lunch and looked for wifi. Nothing spectacular to really mention. There does seem to be some sights to see but I can't comment.

Two local attractions that seem interesting are Arikok National Park, and Donkey Sanctuary Aruba.  Any reports?

(7)  Cartagena, Colombia – We have an overnight from 7 am the first day to 4 pm the second.  We will do Getsemani at Night on the first evening, and would like to visit the National Aviary on the second day (but Windstar hasn't scheduled that tour at all for this cruise).  Can I get a taxi to the National Aviary, or do I need to book a guide (with e.g. ToursByLocals)?

You MUST go on WS's National Aviary tour! This was the most wonderful experience! Our guide was top notch and we were the very first group into the aviary so we had the place all to ourselves for quite a while. My son works with raptors in the US and when we told him about our experience he was impressed with what they do and how the aviary is set up. One of our top tours ever in the Caribbean! Up close and personal with all the birds; it took them 10 years to build it and they did it right.

(8)  San Blas Islands, Panamá – nothing is offered except the Water Sports Platform, so I guess that's what we should plan to do?

This will be your BBQ picnic again today. The location is probably the best one of all WS's Caribbean BBQ picnic days. Once again, loungers available on the deserted island and you can move them if needed. All the beach toys will be there (the sports platform will not be open) and the indigenous people will be there with all their crafts and will perform dances for you as well. You can walk around the entire island, hang out in the water, eat, drink, shop. What more could a person ask for in a beach day?

(9)  Bocas del Toro, Panama – None of the three excursions appeals (snorkeling, lying on a beach, Indian Village Chocolate Farm).  Any ideas?

We took a WS tour to Red Frog Beach to see tiny poisonous red frogs. We tendered to the port and then boarded a small boat (16 passengers) and went to an area to see dolphins. Now, we live on the beach in Florida for 1/2 the year and we see dolphins all the time so we weren't impressed but many were. After that we were taken to Red Frog Beach where our guide took us on a nature walk and spotted all these tiny red frogs. Once at the beach (it was red flags flying so no swimming) we had a beer at Red Frog Bar and after @30 minutes we went back to the boat and back to port. I will qualify this tour because it poured rain on us almost the entire time. It would have been much more fun without all the rain and they actually gave people the option to bag the boat once they realized it wasn't going to stop. We figured it was an adventure and it was.

(10)  Balboa/Fuerte Amador/Panama City – we will be heading to the PTY airport for a 12:02 pm flight.  Will Windstar offer transfers?  or should I book a cab?

Our flight was at 4:15 p.m. so we took the new city/old city tour that dropped us at the airport after the tour. I love the UNESCO world heritage part of Panama and if you've never been it would be on my list. However, with your flight at 12 noon I think I would head to the airport (I think we were one of the last to depart the ship at 8:45 a.m.)

Thanks in advance for any and all help!

• Thanks 1