Tauck's Gift of Time Early Booking Advantage

Roz

I put a $900 deposit as a hold on a Tauck cruise until they published the 2025 fare.  The 2025 itineraries were available but not the price. 

In the meantime, a few days ago I received a 100th anniversary Tauck catalog in the mail.  To celebrate the company's 100th anniversary in 2025, they're offering past guests a free hotel night (pre or post) if they book a 2025 tour or cruise by July 31, 2024. 

My account now shows what my final payment is for the 2025 cruise, and it's quite a bit more than I was anticipating based on the 2024 fare for the same itinerary.  I had the option of canceling, but decided to go ahead.  I contacted my TA about the free hotel night and she said I am, in fact, eligible, so I'll get an extra night at the Fairmont Le Montreux Palace on Lake Geneva.  

Anyone notice any other lines' 2025 fares going up a significant amount?

• Like 2

First, a question to your question.  Can you define ‘quite a bit more’?  

I am asking because we just identified a Tauck land trip this week that we are very interested in for 2025, which involves the same deposit and wait for pricing.  We did our first trip with Tauck to Nova Scotia last fall, and were very impressed with the entire experience.  

As to pricing increases, the answer is yes, but as always you have to dig into the details.  We did an AMAwaterways cruise May 2023 that was 1 week cruise w 6 nights pre/post.  We have another AMA BOOKED FOR May 2025 which is approx $1100 pp more.  Same number of nights, 1 week + 6 nights pre/post, but the 2 variables are:  we booked the 2023 trip in May 2022, and just booked the next trip, so over 18 months apart.  Also the 2025 trip is on AMAMAGNA, which draws a higher price per day than their other ships (usually).  

We are still looking at timing and discussing the 2025 Tauck trip.  The same month (Sept) for this trip in 2024 is sold out, so we know if we want to go, we will need to put down the deposit and wait for final details to determine if was want to withdraw.  

• Like 1

This is timely.

I also put a $900 deposit down on a cabin on the Rhine (part land, part river cruise plus a train ride through the Swiss Alps) for 2025 (until pricing comes out). I did this along with some other friends. They have sailed Tauck before and they knew about the free hotel room for one extra night and have had access to this on previous tours. They have gone with Tauck several times and have always gotten an extra night hotel free.

I have not been notified that pricing was out but checked this morning. The previous pricing was $6590 and in 2025 is now $7990. I expected it to go up a few hundred but not that much.

I have not been notified by my TA about pricing yet. I actually think I am going to bail on this trip as much as I wanted to try Tauck and see my friends. This is still soaking in about the pricing.

I also got the travel catalog but haven't looked at it yet.

Edited by Coral
  • Like 1

@Coral, this is the first time I've received an offer for a "free" hotel room.  On previous Tauck cruises I booked my own hotel. 

The tour I'm taking is Rhine Connoisseur, consisting of 3 nights at the hotel in Montreux,  and 8 nights on the ship,  sailing from Basel to Brussels.  I'll fly in a day early and not have to change hotels. 

This is a unique itinerary, otherwise I'd be looking at other cruise and tour companies.  I don't blame you if you make a final decision to bail. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Roz said:

@Coral, this is the first time I've received an offer for a "free" hotel room.  On previous Tauck cruises I booked my own hotel. 

The tour I'm taking is Rhine Connoisseur, consisting of 3 nights at the hotel in Montreux,  and 8 nights on the ship,  sailing from Basel to Brussels.  I'll fly in a day early and not have to change hotels. 

This is a unique itinerary, otherwise I'd be looking at other cruise and tour companies.  I don't blame you if you make a final decision to bail. 

Mine is "Enchantment of the Rhine" which is 3 nights in Milan, train through Switzerland and then board the ship in Basel to Amsterdam. The hotel in Milan looks great. I was hoping to fly into Venice and do a few days of hotel there first and then train it to Milan.

I know my friend has gotten free hotel nights in the past (though she has done land tours with them and not river cruises) and she had planned on this last year when we talked about this trip about having the hotel in Amsterdam. She told me it was a past passenger benefit.

Did they contact you with pricing yet? I have not heard. I just emailed my agent to see if she has received notification.

It is my understanding that I have 14 days to accept or reject the pricing. My friends are in CA and still asleep so I haven't heard from them. They booked direct. 

At this point - I can't justify the cost increase (plus air). I may change my mind over the weekend. I also have a solo cabin.

Edited by Coral
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, Roz said:

I found something from 2022 which mentions "A Gift of Time": https://forums.tauck.com/discussion/15645/incentive-to-book-onboard with the free hotel room.

Edited by Coral
  • Like 1

@Coral, I wasn't contacted about pricing.  I saw the balance due in my Tauck account and emailed my TA.  She had just received an email from Tauck moments before, which she forwarded to me. 

Tauck uses the Pulitzer in Amsterdam. It looks like a beautiful hotel. 

• Like 1

Avalon still has specials on it's 2024 & 2025, but even if I look at the "non-reduced" price, the 2025 are actually lower than those in 2024 for my Moselle cruise. Not complaining, we booked early because we wanted a certain cabin and they had a special that was supposed to be over by November 2024. It was worth it, as the discount we got combined with our welcome back credit will pay for our airfare. 🙂

• Like 1

I checked Uniworld's fares for 2024 and 2025.  Solo pricing, same length and time of year.  Yikes! Very similar to Tauck.  

18 hours ago, Roz said:

I checked Uniworld's fares for 2024 and 2025.  Solo pricing, same length and time of year.  Yikes! Very similar to Tauck.  

Ouch! I will make a decision this weekend about my Tauck tour.

• Like 1

@Coral, sorry you had to cancel,  but believe me,  I understand. 

I'm finding that travel costs in general are going up, and cruising isn't as attractive as it once was,  especially for solos. 

When I retired I thought I would be able to take advantage of last minute cruise deals, but those deals aren't out there like they used to be.