Fly Cruise from Malta query

kevcharben

Yes, the luggage is collected outside the room.  I’m trying to remember what happened the next morning and I’m fairly sure we had to collect the bags and take them to the coach for the transfer to the airport. 

58 minutes ago, kevcharben said:

OK thanks.

I assume then that the luggage is collected outside the room at the end of the cruise and transported to the airport, where we collect it again for checking in?

On our return flight from Malta last year, we were on a scheduled Jet2 flight put out our bags on the last night and saw them again at Newcastle airport. 

On the way out we did have to collect them in the airport and then take them to the coach where they were put in a box truck and we next saw them outside our cabin. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, kevcharben said:

OK thanks.

I assume then that the luggage is collected outside the room at the end of the cruise and transported to the airport, where we collect it again for checking in?

No they cases went straight onto the plane from outside cabin door when we sailed on Azura, but had to collect case from luggage carousel and take to a van which transferred them to the ship when we flew out.  It was a change that took place in Malta after covid - I think it is something to do with not being in the EU now, forget the full explanation, but think it was because we had to take the cases through immigration ourselves.

We were on P&O charter flights both ways.

Edited by tring

21 minutes ago, tring said:

No they cases went straight onto the plane from outside cabin door when we sailed on Azura, but had to collect case from luggage carousel and take to a van which transferred them to the ship when we flew out.  It was a change that took place in Malta after covid - I think it is something to do with not being in the EU now, forget the full explanation, but think it was because we had to take the cases through immigration ourselves.

We were on P&O charter flights both ways.

I am fairly certain that Barbados is not a member of the EU, and yet luggage there has always gone straight from the plane to the ship.

In addition I dont think that Malta fly cruises took place prior to covid, and we had left the EU well before that.

But it is much easier to lay the blame on Brexit.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, terrierjohn said:

I am fairly certain that Barbados is not a member of the EU, and yet luggage there has always gone straight from the plane to the ship.

In addition I dont think that Malta fly cruises took place prior to covid, and we had left the EU well before that.

Back in 2019 before we left the EU. Oceana was doing the med fly cruises luggage always went straight from the plane to the ship and vice versa.

• Like 3

If they took your bags from outside your cabin then straight to airport then you didn’t see them until your home airport.

How do they know which aircraft the bags are to go on without bag tags,,,how do they stick the little tag onto your passport?

OK if all bags are going to the same UK airport,,,but they don’t!!!

Serious question.

Edited by JeanieC,Aston

3 minutes ago, JeanieC,Aston said:

If they took your bags from outside your cabin then straight to airport then you didn’t see them until your home airport.

How do they know which aircraft the bags are to go on without bag tags,,,how do they stick the little tag onto your passport?

OK if all bags are going to the same UK airport,,,but they don’t!!!

Serious question.

They deliver a luggage label to your room with the details about where to meet the coach to the airport and what time etc the day before departure. 

Each flight - airport and time as there are numerous flights going to some airports - has a different coloured luggage tag, with the relevant information. Once you've put the tag on your bag, there is a part you keep youself - I'm assuming in case the bag gets lots they can track it. 

Hope this makes sense.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, terrierjohn said:

It presumably depends on rules for different countries, but it is something to do with immigration and not allowed now. Not a case of blaming Brexit, but like it or not rules did change and will change more next year, when more paperwork required unless plans change before then.  As I said, (and another poster has confirmed), the bags went straight to the ship from the planes before COVID, but that cannot happen now.  That is if you are booked on a charter flight, any schedule flights still needed the bags to be collected on arrival in Malta.

They did do Malta fly cruises before COVID,  but not on Azura.

Edited by tring

I think the situation in Tenerife because the port is further away and really not any great spots for trucks. Just easier to retrieve them and put on the coach at least not waiting for them for a longer period of time. From the ship though must be easier for the truck just to go into a warehouse and drop them off maybe.

Edited by carlanthony24

3 hours ago, terrierjohn said:

We did a Fly Cruise to Malta in 2017 on Oceana baggage went from airport to ship we didn’t see it after check in at Birmingham until we got to cabin, going back went from ship to airport next time we saw it was on carousel at Birmingham. 

• Like 3

12 hours ago, EM35 said:

They deliver a luggage label to your room with the details about where to meet the coach to the airport and what time etc the day before departure. 

Each flight - airport and time as there are numerous flights going to some airports - has a different coloured luggage tag, with the relevant information. Once you've put the tag on your bag, there is a part you keep youself - I'm assuming in case the bag gets lots they can track it. 

Hope this makes sense.

Thanks.

• Like 1

On 2/28/2024 at 10:50 PM, Snow Hill said:

We did a Fly Cruise to Malta in 2017 on Oceana baggage went from airport to ship we didn’t see it after check in at Birmingham until we got to cabin, going back went from ship to airport next time we saw it was on carousel at Birmingham. 

In May 2017, seem to recall that we had to collect our luggage post-flight, and take it to the transfer coach. I recall grumbling "We don't have to do this in Barbados," etc.....

Also, I had a very unpleasant experience with the port staff at that time, who wouldn't let me take one of my checked-in bags onto the ship, as it contained a manicure scissors (I kid you not!). They told me that they would break into the case unless I handed over the scissors, as it was a "security risk". I protested, but it was no use. I gave them the tiny pair of scissors. The following morning I went to the purser's desk armed with the fairly vicious corkscrew that was in my cabin, courtesy of P&O, and retrieved the scissors. Such a fuss over nothing. 

1 hour ago, ScotchBoy said:

In May 2017, seem to recall that we had to collect our luggage post-flight, and take it to the transfer coach. I recall grumbling "We don't have to do this in Barbados," etc.....

Can you remember if you were on a schedule flight rather than a P&O charter.  I suggest you were.  As I and others have said, pre COVID the cases from charter flights went straight to the ship, but if on a schedule flight (which would have non P&O passengers onboard), it has always been necessary to collect your cases at the airport. 

Now everyone has to collect luggage from the carousel in Malta and the luggage is now taken to vans, which delivery it to the ship, so the next time you will see it is outside your cabin.

20 hours ago, ScotchBoy said:

Also, I had a very unpleasant experience with the port staff at that time, who wouldn't let me take one of my checked-in bags onto the ship, as it contained a manicure scissors (I kid you not!). They told me that they would break into the case unless I handed over the scissors, as it was a "security risk". I protested, but it was no use. I gave them the tiny pair of scissors. The following morning I went to the purser's desk armed with the fairly vicious corkscrew that was in my cabin, courtesy of P&O, and retrieved the scissors. Such a fuss over nothing. 

That is so ridiculous to hold you up at boarding for manicure scissors. P&O's own guidance allows scissors or blades less of than 4" or 10.16 cm. in length. I am so glad you got them back - I would hate to lose my well travelled scissors from my manicure set.

We flew out to Malta from Bristol in 2022 (TUI) we had to collect our luggage from the carousel and it was then transported by lorry to the ship and we re-united with it outside our cabin. On the return journey the cases were put out the night before and we collected them at Bristol.

Earlier this year we flew (Jet2 charter) to Tenerife again from Bristol and had to collect our luggage on arrival. It was then transported on the coach we travelled to in to the port. It was unloaded by crew who delivered it to our cabin. For the return it was the same procedure as above. Cases out the night before and collected at the airport on landing.

Thanks to the OP for asking this question. We are doing a fly cruise in July to Malta and had the same question. 

A further question. Whats the process for the final day for those with late flights, ours is 7pm. 

I know there are tours then off to airport. 

P&O used to offer day rooms to stay on the ship for late flights. Do they still offer this service?

Or can we get off have a walk round malta then back on to meet transfer? Would we have to take all our hand luggage?

Thanks all. 

On 2/28/2024 at 6:58 PM, terrierjohn said:

Hi it's not to do with the final destination being in or out of the EU so to speak. It's to do with the UK no longer being in the EU so EU couny won't take bonded luggage from non EU countries. The Carribbean countries will take it. It think it's the EU spitting the dummy out over Brexit. Like a lot of things to do with travel Brexit has not acted in our favour 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

For a late flight on the return you will have to leave your cabin in the morning, but can stay on the ship until transfer to the airport which is typically about 3 hours before flight time. 
You are free to visit Malta before then and they should make available a secure storage location for hand luggage during the day, for you to pick up when you return to the ship.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 3/1/2024 at 3:16 PM, tring said:

Can you remember if you were on a schedule flight rather than a P&O charter.  I suggest you were.  As I and others have said, pre COVID the cases from charter flights went straight to the ship, but if on a schedule flight (which would have non P&O passengers onboard), it has always been necessary to collect your cases at the airport. 

Now everyone has to collect luggage from the carousel in Malta and the luggage is now taken to vans, which delivery it to the ship, so the next time you will see it is outside your cabin.

I'm afraid that level of detail escapes me, but you are probably right. It was quite possibly a scheduled flight, in which we would obviously have had to collect our own luggage; makes perfect sense. 

• Like 1

On 3/2/2024 at 10:28 AM, enjoysailing said:

That is so ridiculous to hold you up at boarding for manicure scissors. P&O's own guidance allows scissors or blades less of than 4" or 10.16 cm. in length. I am so glad you got them back - I would hate to lose my well travelled scissors from my manicure set.

I agree. I was teetering on the edge of becoming apoplectic. The port staff were in more danger of receiving a savage tongue-lashing than any damage I could do with a tiny manicure scissors. But they have all the power, so we must do as they ask.........

Had an amazing cruise though, on lovely Oceana 🥰