Yum yum

Gunther1

For whatever reason, I can’t attach the photo, but it’s a picture of the return of the Yum Yum man ( in this case, woman) on the Rotterdam.

She said it’s being brought back for formal nights.  

It made me smile :). 

• Like 13

The yum yum man is at

2 minutes ago, bobomonkeyrage said:

As someone who only started cruises post pandemic, can someone fill me in on what the fabled yum yum human does?

It is either a man or woman handing out after dinner mints ,This has been done post dinner at the dining room door areas  .a nice toiuch brought back 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, bobomonkeyrage said:

As someone who only started cruises post pandemic, can someone fill me in on what the fabled yum yum human does?

Like you we have only sailed HAL post pandemic - but for all the complaints about removal of the YumYum man here - my expectations are high!

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

5 minutes ago, bobomonkeyrage said:

wait. so for all the talk of the yum yum man, it's just a dude handing out mints...?!?!?! 
I'm all for a nice mint after dinner, but the legend of this mint giver seems extremely hyped.

It is just that with all the cut vacks that HAL has made it is a nive touvh to get one of the cuts back , Sort of sentimental to those who have cruised a long time with Holland America lines 

• Like 6

1 minute ago, mcrcruiser said:

It is just that with all the cut vacks that HAL has made it is a nive touvh to get one of the cuts back , Sort of sentimental to those who have cruised a long time with Holland America lines 

makes sense

Well - I was way off base with what I had always assumed this "yum yum" person to be ....

I had always assumed it was a person who would wheel a dessert cart through the MDR stopping at tables ready to order/choose a dessert.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, bobomonkeyrage said:

wait. so for all the talk of the yum yum man, it's just a dude handing out mints...?!?!?! 
I'm all for a nice mint after dinner, but the legend of this mint giver seems extremely hyped.

Along with ringing the chimes to announce that the MDR was ready for dinner, the Yum Yum man (usually a man but has been a woman on rare occasions) was at the exit of the dining room every night (casual & dressy) - many were talented at doing fun things/tricks/origami (which they gifted you) as they passed you mints, candied ginger and a couple of the other selections.

They always put a smile on your face as you left the MDR and were one of the things that made HAL charming IMO.

• Like 10

This person offers traditional at-sea, after-dinner digestives: ginger; mints, figs, apricots.

Also ringing the chimes to announce dinner is being served in the public rooms. And you see them polishing the brassware in the gangway embarkation areas. 

• Like 2

Ooooooh, candied ginger!  How I miss that in the MDR and as a drink garnish.  They used to use it in the scotch based drink called "penicillin" and it was "yum yummy" 🙂 but it has been missing on the last couple voyages we were on.  Hoping the yum yum person has a full stock of it!

• Like 2

I would love to see these traditions come back!  Brings back great memories of sailing with my parents.  My mother loved the candied ginger, as do I.  My father loved the mints.  My favorite was the dinner chimes.  They even had the chime man walking the beach on HMC to announce that lunch was ready.  The outfits reminded me of the monkeys in The Wizard of Oz.  I liked them!

• Like 1

4 hours ago, kazu said:

Along with ringing the chimes to announce that the MDR was ready for dinner, the Yum Yum man (usually a man but has been a woman on rare occasions) was at the exit of the dining room every night (casual & dressy) - many were talented at doing fun things/tricks/origami (which they gifted you) as they passed you mints, candied ginger and a couple of the other selections.

They always put a smile on your face as you left the MDR and were one of the things that made HAL charming IMO.

I must have been cruising for a long time since this too is my memory. I loved the origami.

• Like 1

I am glad to see that the yum yum person is returning.  I can remember in the early 2000's my husband chasing him down so I could get my picture taken with him.  Every time I saw them it brought a smile to my face.  Hope to see them in November on the Volendam.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, 57redbird said:

The outfit reminded me of the "Call for Philip Morris" cigarette ads.

Yes. I fear those of us who "liked" this post are [ahem] of a certain age, as cigarette ads were banned from TV a long time ago.

• Haha 3

9 hours ago, bobomonkeyrage said:

I’m with you! This is a severe letdown, I was anticipating somebody handing out Twinkies or dingdongs or fudge cickles or something lol

• Like 2
  • Haha 3