Oceania Decline

mamaclark

Posted (edited)

If I was to compare my recollection of our 2018 cruise (Marina)  with my recollection of our 2023 cruise (Nautica), then I'd suggest there had been a decline in the dining experience, most notably in the GDR. Less menu choice, simpler (cheaper to produce) dishes, smaller portions, service not as sharp. But, although noticeable, these were not major issues that would spoil a holiday. But, let's face it, the whole of the hospitality industry has had to consider cutbacks post-Covid. I could easily spot the same declines in regularly visited land-based restaurants. But, no, it's not the same. The dining experience is an important part of the cruise experience - and you're paying a lot of money for that experience.

I'm sure there will come a time when we want to reflect on whether cruising still offers such a "value for money" experience. We're not there yet but I see that discussion on the horizon. Our forthcoming Vista cruise is likely to be the key.

Edited by Harters
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

54 minutes ago, Harters said:

If I was to compare my recollection of our 2018 cruise (Marina)  with my recollection of our 2023 cruise (Nautica), then I'd suggest there had been a decline in the dining experience, most notably in the GDR. Less menu choice, simpler (cheaper to produce) dishes, smaller portions, service not as sharp. But, although noticeable, these were not major issues that would spoil a holiday. But, let's face it, the whole of the hospitality industry has had to consider cutbacks post-Covid. I could easily spot the same declines in regularly visited land-based restaurants. But, no, it's not the same. The dining experience is an important part of the cruise experience - and you're paying a lot of money for that experience.

I'm sure there will come a time when we want to reflect on whether cruising still offers such a "value for money" experience. We're not there yet but I see that discussion on the horizon. Our forthcoming Vista cruise is likely to be the key.

Dear OP and Harters.

Excellent points.

In comparing pre covid and post covid O voyages, I have definitely noticed product downgrading - but not staff downgrading.

Was on Insignia in August an Iceland to North America voyage.

The downgrading was definitely seen in the baked goods, Sysco like, not the flaky pain au chocolate of the past and seafood size and quality in decline. The desserts in the Terrace were definitely more cheap, more custard, not great chocolate cakes etc. Salad greens less quality. Sausages were bland and grey colored, yikes.

But, the downgrading of everything is par for the course these days including cruising. I suspect all cruise lines are doing the same.

I am simply not purchasing as I used to because of this and that includes cruises.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, osandomir said:

Would you please provide an example of what cruise line offers a better itinerary to Japan. It’s definitely possible. We mostly cruise with Oceania but I would really be interested to look it up.

7 hours ago, cruisemom42 said:

Well, as one example, I'll point to the 28-day Japan "cherry blossom" cruise I took last April on Holland America. Just for starters, you get 28 days circumnavigating all of the main islands of Japan for less than the price of the 16 day Regatta cruise mentioned by the OP.

(HAL does offer a limited number of Japan cruises in the fall, but to me cherry blossom timing was a big driver, and while it's a bit of a crap shoot as to whether you'll hit "full bloom" or not, the HAL itinerary is designed to take you from the south to the north, so at some point along the way you're bound to hit the sweet spot.)

The Oceania itinerary really doesn't even include that much of Japan, and does none of the very interesting and lesser known northern ports. (For example, I really liked Aomori and Hakodate). It does include stops in other places like Vietnam and Singapore, which is fine, but it's not Japan.

The HAL cruise has the minimum number of extra-Japan stops (at least one foreign port per cruise, much like US regulations, and the 28-day cruise is really considered 2 14-day cruises...) The 2024 itinerary (now sold out) is shown below as it is fairly similar to the 2023 one I did, although it does include a few more intriguing-sounding ports on the western side.

There are probably others as well. All I know is that when I was looking for 2023, O's itineraries were not even in my top 3 or 4.

Oceania Regatta Itinerary:

image.png.6d676957c21c6e97fed80d8e4f93cbcf.png 

HAL Itinerary:

image.thumb.png.522029aae7252199f2e80a56684b8572.png

05D3F550-42B7-4E54-809F-E37679EB241C_1_105_c.thumb.jpeg.9686f9111dc8a38b4ad0469eb511400c.jpeg

EB16E53D-897A-4B44-AE2A-D4A1D3D0EC67_1_105_c.thumb.jpeg.52264b3e7dd8412c256a6a696eee42e4.jpeg

BCCBAF92-0807-4B57-AF4A-DEB4405A017F_1_105_c.thumb.jpeg.d7771287955248dfb326dd89322a2d50.jpeg

Reflecting on some earlier comments, we attended a future cruise OCA event in probably 2016 or 2017. The OCA asked the crowd, after the presentation “ what cruise(s) would any of you like to see or do?” Hands shot up and the first reply was “ A circumnavigation of Japan!” Lots of applause followed.

The OCA laughed and said they hear that every time the question is asked, but don’t see it happening in the near future. We’re at 6-7 years later, and Oceania still hasn’t shown interest in it. Personally believe they’d quickly sell out even an O or A ship if they only would offer it. I’m guessing it’s beyond the limits of their current Logistical Supply system.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, tigerfan75 said:

It’s unfortunate that you had such a poor experience, and that recent reviews are making you doubt your choice of O for future cruises.  Only you can make that call.

So, I can only pass along another R-ship experience.  Currently on the Insignia from LA to Bali, 55-days.  It is the best cruise experience we have ever had.  Sure, some things were not up to par, and we reported them, or wrote them into the surveys.  O quickly acted on most of them.  Still, an overall great experience and value for our dollar, so we have booked a 50th Wedding Anniversary trip to Alaska with multiple staterooms for Family in 2025.

Best of luck in whatever you choose to do.

Thank you for your thoughtful and kind response. Have a wonderful celebration with your family.

• Thanks 1

We had outstanding cruises on Riviera (12/2021), Sirena (11/2022) and Riviera (10-11/2023). Mostly fantastic food in all the venues. And great customer service all over the ship. Can't wait for our 22-nights on Sirena in the Baltic come late Aug!

• Like 1

I really learned to take the reviews with a grain of salt. Some of them are just ridiculous. This applies to all lines. We were on SS in Dec.2022, had a great time. When we returned, someone posted a 1 star review titled "a cruise to hell". Read recent reviews on SB, SS and Regent, all cost significantly more than O.

We did 3 cruises on O post Covid, 2 on Riviera and 1 on Regatta. No complains about the food, in fact, I liked it better than SS. Service pretty consistent as well. Entertainment and activities still mediocre, as we expected. Excursions mixed bag, we will probably book mostly private tours going forward.

So I don't really see the decline that some people talk about. Many sailings are sold out months in advance. 

You can always find faults if you dig deep enough. For us, O still offers best value for money, till proven otherwise.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Very interesting thread.  Where to start :).  We are O virgins (I hope Mr. Branson forgives me for borrowing this word) with our first O cruise (35 days on the Vista) coming up later this month.  Obviously, we know nothing more about O then what we read on these boards (and elsewhere) and will embark on our upcoming journey with an open mind.  We love to cruise, have been doing it for 50 years, and have been on an awful lot of cruise lines/ships.  

I found the posts comparing HAL to O quite interesting.  We do know HAL (5* Mariners) and that line has truly declined in many ways.  Their decline started before COVID and IMHO accelerated as a result of the COVID shutdown,  We have also recently cruised on some other lines (i.e Princess, Seabourn, Explora Journeys) and did not notice a decline (there were some changes).  One observation from this O board is that quite a few O fans make excuses for the O of today rather than simply dealing with the NOW.  When comparing O to HAL it should be pointed out that HAL is a relatively inexpensive cruise line when compared to O.  If one is paying $150 per person/day it is reasonable to expect lesser quality/variety in cuisine than if paying $250+ per person/day.  We always keep this in mind whether cruising a lower priced line (i.e. MSC, Princess, HAL) or a luxury line (i.e. Seabourn, Silversea, EJ, etc).  What gets left unsaid in many posts is about the "value" of any cruise.  Given what we have paid to go on O we would expect it to be superior to lines like HAL and Princess, and not up to the standards we expect on lines like Seabourn.  

If the Internet is good enough, we will try to post a Live thread during our 5 weeks on the Vista.  We will be honest, candid, and back-up what we say with facts.  Folks can certainly dispute subjective issues (such as the quality of beef) but "inedible" or "cold" is something that most understand.   Speaking of posting "facts,"  when we did this during a recent 6 week HAL cruise there were the usual cheerleaders that would make excuses or pooh pooh facts.  We see that sae attitude with some here on the O board.  As a simple example, O is one of the only cruise lines that does not currently have a decent "App."  The line is truly behind the times in terms of current technology.  O also does not have an online system for "air" options such as what one finds with most CCL and RCI products.  Even O fans, such as Flatbush Flyer, suggest that O cruisers call O rather than make dining reservations and book excursions online.  In this regard we did ignore Flatbush Flyer and did all or our pre-cruise reservations (12) online and also booked our excursions online.  So far, so good.  No problems, the system seemed to work, and we did get confirming e-mails.  So, we are off to a good start :).

No cruise line is "perfect" although we have had some cruises that have come close.  Ironically, some of our best overall cruises have been on HAL, but those voyages are far in the past.  Seabourn has also given us mostly very positive experiences along with some amazing experiences (caviar in the surf can be quite fun).

Hank

• Like 8

5 minutes ago, Hlitner said:

Very interesting thread.  Where to start :).  We are O virgins (I hope Mr. Branson forgives me for borrowing this word) with our first O cruise (35 days on the Vista) coming up later this month.  Obviously, we know nothing more about O then what we read on these boards (and elsewhere) and will embark on our upcoming journey with an open mind.  We love to cruise, have been doing it for 50 years, and have been on an awful lot of cruise lines/ships.  

I found the posts comparing HAL to O quite interesting.  We do know HAL (5* Mariners) and that line has truly declined in many ways.  Their decline started before COVID and IMHO accelerated as a result of the COVID shutdown,  We have also recently cruised on some other lines (i.e Princess, Seabourn, Explora Journeys) and did not notice a decline (there were some changes).  One observation from this O board is that quite a few O fans make excuses for the O of today rather than simply dealing with the NOW.  When comparing O to HAL it should be pointed out that HAL is a relatively inexpensive cruise line when compared to O.  If one is paying $150 per person/day it is reasonable to expect lesser quality/variety in cuisine than if paying $250+ per person/day.  We always keep this in mind whether cruising a lower priced line (i.e. MSC, Princess, HAL) or a luxury line (i.e. Seabourn, Silversea, EJ, etc).  What gets left unsaid in many posts is about the "value" of any cruise.  Given what we have paid to go on O we would expect it to be superior to lines like HAL and Princess, and not up to the standards we expect on lines like Seabourn.  

If the Internet is good enough, we will try to post a Live thread during our 5 weeks on the Vista.  We will be honest, candid, and back-up what we say with facts.  Folks can certainly dispute subjective issues (such as the quality of beef) but "inedible" or "cold" is something that most understand.   Speaking of posting "facts,"  when we did this during a recent 6 week HAL cruise there were the usual cheerleaders that would make excuses or pooh pooh facts.  We see that sae attitude with some here on the O board.  As a simple example, O is one of the only cruise lines that does not currently have a decent "App."  The line is truly behind the times in terms of current technology.  O also does not have an online system for "air" options such as what one finds with most CCL and RCI products.  Even O fans, such as Flatbush Flyer, suggest that O cruisers call O rather than make dining reservations and book excursions online.  In this regard we did ignore Flatbush Flyer and did all or our pre-cruise reservations (12) online and also booked our excursions online.  So far, so good.  No problems, the system seemed to work, and we did get confirming e-mails.  So, we are off to a good start :).

No cruise line is "perfect" although we have had some cruises that have come close.  Ironically, some of our best overall cruises have been on HAL, but those voyages are far in the past.  Seabourn has also given us mostly very positive experiences along with some amazing experiences (caviar in the surf can be quite fun).

Hank

Hank, you are so right about the "value". Some people might say that while O is better than HAL, the cost makes it poor value. Some might say the same when comparing O to SS or SB. So it's really about expectations.

For us, we don't go back to big ships, even if costs half compared to O, but everyone is different. We are well aware of O shortcomings (mediocre entertainment, poor internet etc) and we learned to accept them. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ak1004 said:

I really learned to take the reviews with a grain of salt. Some of them are just ridiculous. This applies to all lines. We were on SS in Dec.2022, had a great time. When we returned, someone posted a 1 star review titled "a cruise to hell". Read recent reviews on SB, SS and Regent, all cost significantly more than O.

I would agree that SS and Regent cost significantly more. They include more, including excursions. However, I will continue to dispute that SB always costs significantly more. I know that you prefer OV cabins, and that SB has these on only two of their ships. I haven’t compared OV pricing between the two, because we sail in balcony.  Comparing balcony cabins on multiple itineraries between SB and O, I have found cases where O is more expensive per day, and I have found where they are very close. So with that being the case, itinerary becomes a bigger driver in the decision. 

Posted (edited)
31 minutes ago, Hlitner said:

Hank

Hank, I genuinely look forward to your review of your upcoming voyage with Oceania. Your reviews are all ways well balanced. 

I also agree that, as there are with most brands, Oceania has their cheerleaders that will never find anything but excellent with that brand. For me, that dilutes credibility, as there is no perfection with any line. 

To the OP, I understand what you are saying with regard to the concern. I follow a few lines on CC. In doing so, yes they all have some sleep than positive reviews. Of the lines that I do follow, Oceania does seem to have more negative reviews than others, so yes, that is concerning. It is yet another reason why I look forward to Hank’s review. 

Edited by Vineyard View
  • Like 3

14 hours ago, mamaclark said:

Thank you, I  realize for every bad review there are many good ones unwritten. I am agonizing over whether to pull the trigger on this rather expensive cruise when the list clears, which undoubtedly it will. All I can do is compare prior experiences. I never had a bad bite of food on Oceania, never. Were you on the Regatta?

@mamaclark All you are trying to do is make a good business decision.  You never have to apologize for that. Reviews are tough to evaluate.  Was the person a loyal guest of the brand prior to Covid.  Was the person new to the brand like I was.  Does this person have a bone to pick with this brand.  Does the review come across as the brand can do no wrong.  At the price of the fare, it is a very difficult decision.

I was new to Oceania.  I was on a ship that was recently refurbished, the Riviera. I am used to the VIP sections of the Main Stream Cruise Brands like NCL, Celebrity and MSC.  My personal evaluation is was my trip better then my past experiences.  So was my experience improved. My evaluation was my experience was improved. The question is how.

Food: It was not the Finest Food on the sea.  Just before Crystal went out of business, they had that honor. Was it better then let's say, the NCL Haven.  Yes and no.  I really liked the Haven Restaurant which would be the Grand Dining Room on the Riviera.  For me, the Grand Dining Room was GREAT for Breakfast, not good at all at lunch, Average to below Average at dinner. All other Specialty Restaurants were GREAT except for my experience in Polo Grill.  The food was good but below warm, the service was awful. I attribute this to a staffing issue that night at Polo and would never hesitate to try again. The buffet was all about your selection and the instruction you have the grill cook for Steak or Lobster.  So, Finest Food on the Sea, not so much.  Yet a better over all then my past experiences so a Positive Mark.  Realistic Expectations is the key here.

Suites/Staterooms:  Loved them and no complaints that would matter.  I could go into great detail here about my Deck Furniture in Vista Suite being tied down every night, but I understood the situation.  

Personalized Service:  For me, it was excellent however I work at it. My strategy is to get to know the key people in the crew and make friends upfront.  I did that.  I always attempt to use the notion of Look for things that people are doing right, and complement them on it.  It makes when an issue happen, if it happens much easier to resolve.  On my cruise, we had no issues and made great associations with the crew and leadership on the ship. 

Conclusion:  Oceania to me is a middle ground.  Better experience especially in Europe than NCL Haven, MSC Yacht Club or Celebrity Retreat. Not as good of an experience from the New Regent Seven Seas Ship, Ritz Carlton Yacht Collection, Seabourn, Silver Seas and the list of Ultra Luxury Brands go on.  Yet when you compare Oceania to most (I did say most so I know you can catch a deal on some of these brands) of the Ultra Luxury Brand.  I have an really hard time justifying the cost difference for the level of improvement gain by Ultra Luxury. 

I shared this with you to give you yet another perspective form a long time vacation cruiser.  Many will agree, many will disagree and some will just give you their perspective.  Take everyone with a grain of salt as you should also take me.  This is social media and CruiseCritic.com should be a safe environment. 

Cruise well and enjoy every moment. 

• Like 7
  • Thanks 3

With our multiple cruises on Oceania, we have reasonable expectations on what to expect. We know which foods they generally do well, and what to avoid. Therefore, even though we still get some excellent meals, some mediocre, and some poor ones; we generally trend to very good because we don’t reorder those that have proven substandard. We only rarely see less than great service, but it does occasionally happen. They are wine stewards, not sommeliers. Expect no more.

Overall, as far as food and services go, I don’t believe Oceania has declined much since Covid. Destination Services has always been a train wreck, so we try to book our own private tours. I believe the greatest difference between now and pre Covid on O is the number of ports now missed and or the number of port hours cut. It went from a rare occurrence, to happening most every cruise. Outside of the debt issues and saving money, this no longer has anything to do with Covid.

• Like 6

4 minutes ago, pinotlover said:

With our multiple cruises on Oceania, we have reasonable expectations on what to expect. We know which foods they generally do well, and what to avoid. Therefore, even though we still get some excellent meals, some mediocre, and some poor ones; we generally trend to very good because we don’t reorder those that have proven substandard. We only rarely see less than great service, but it does occasionally happen. They are wine stewards, not sommeliers. Expect no more.

Overall, as far as food and services go, I don’t believe Oceania has declined much since Covid. Destination Services has always been a train wreck, so we try to book our own private tours. I believe the greatest difference between now and pre Covid on O is the number of ports now missed and or the number of port hours cut. It went from a rare occurrence, to happening most every cruise. Outside of the debt issues and saving money, this no longer has anything to do with Covid.

Pinot, would you mind sharing what are the good, mediocre and substandard things to order.  My cousin and I are going on the Regatta in Alaska in May.  We have only been on a few cruises (and those were many years ago) and I would love hints on what to order.  By the way, I do not expect to be disappointed.  I have nothing to compare with, am excited to see Alaska and have some time with my cousin.  We are so happy to have a balcony cabin on the starboard side heading south, and not to be cooking or cleaning.  We would like hints on meals to avoid though.

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, Hlitner said:

Hank

I also look forward to your ‘live thread’.

When it comes to ‘value’ I also think that is a very subjective issue. Value can be calculated at the basic pound shillings and pence (dollar) level of price, or possibly the ‘value’ is in the size of the ship. Small ships may offer one person more value because there are no ‘lines’, but for others the value may be in the great entertainment and facilities like water slides. Some people see ‘value’ in butlers others see them as an expensive ‘extra’.

I am a ‘fan’ of Oceania, but do sail luxury lines too,  but have also seen great changes in pre and post 2020. Mainly not for the better. I understand the issues cruise lines are facing with huge debts and lack of the well trained teams they had pre 2020. Oceania is  not alone in ‘downgrading’ their product. At the end of the day I understand this. I know that the product ‘that was’ no longer ‘is’. I accept the ‘now’ so I keep cruising. For anybody who expects pre 2020 standards in any ship/line I suggest you think very carefully before parting with their money!

I think we have to come back to the very basic idea that Sthrngary noted ‘expectations’! Some people pay ‘’in their estimation’ a lot more than a ‘mainstream’ costs and their expectations are heightened sometimes too highly.

Personally, I go on a cruise expecting to have a great holiday, good food, good service,  pleasant fellow travellers. I don’t expect perfection no matter how much I pay. Nothing, I repeat nothing, in life is ‘perfect’. Leave ‘entitlement’ at the bottom of the gangway before you board and you will have a good trip.

I find if I’m pleasant to the staff they are pleasant back and do what they can to make the trip enjoyable. What more can you ask for?

• Like 6

The "finest food at sea" is really a great topic.  Not having experienced O (yet) we cannot know where it fits into the spectrum.  But we can toss out, what we think, is our current standard for comparison.  We cannot judge the current Crystal since with their bankruptcy and change of ownership is a changed product (that we have yet to experience).  But we can say that after 50 years of extensive cruising our best overall cuisine was found on our recent Explora Journey 1 cruise!  This new line (with very deep pockets thanks to its MSC backing) has put their major emphasis on food, and it showed,  They are also somewhat unique in that they do not have a MDR, but rather 4 separate restaurants (2 of which require reservations) and a small 5th restaurant that features cuisine designed (and sometimes cooked) by a Michelin starred chef.  That 5th venue is the only dining venue with an extra fee and it was quite amazing, during our visit, with our meal prepared by Chef Emma Bengtsson, who is the only Michelin 2* female chef in North America.  Chef Emma was on our voyage and did prepare our meal (there were only 10 diners) based on our tasting menu at her NYC restaurant called Aquivit!  Unlike cruise lines that simply borrow chef names (for which they pay a fee) and some menu items, on EJ1 we actually had the real chef!  

Many of us on CC could have a lot of fun debating who has the "best food at sea," and we look forward to seeing how O compares.  I tossed out our EJ1 experience because it may have been a one-time thing (some doubt they can continue to maintain the standard).  And by the way, for Champagne lovers, when we were on EJ1 they featured unlimited Moet and Chandon Champagnes (they had several including the Brut, Rose, and the very unique Ice Imperial).  On that line, the Champagne (and other drinks) were unlimited and available all the time (not just at lunch/dinner).

For any O fans who might be interested, Explora Journeys does have its "issues" including constantly changing itineraries (sound familiar?).  This line will be expanded to 6 ships (all 900 passenger) within the next 5 years.

Hank

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Hlitner said:

We will be honest, candid, and back-up what we say with facts.  Folks can certainly dispute subjective issues (such as the quality of beef) but "inedible" or "cold" is something that most understand. 

Such an excellent post. I hope you are able to share your experience with us. One thing I should have stressed was the outstanding staff you will encounter on O, from top to bottom. I could never say enough good about them! Enjoy!

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Sthrngary said:

I shared this with you to give you yet another perspective form a long time vacation cruiser.  Many will agree, many will disagree and some will just give you their perspective.  Take everyone with a grain of salt as you should also take me.  This is social media and CruiseCritic.com should be a safe environment. 

I appreciate your excellent review and thank you for sharing your perspective. To be fair, there were too many "at sea" days (some scheduled, some not) FOR US which meant a lot more ship time. That could not be helped. We love the destination intensive itineraries O typically offers. We essentially use cruising to see the places we know we want to visit, but may never go on our own. Thus, our floating hotel needs to be comfortable, clean, have good food and worth the cost. Thank you!

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, mamaclark said:

Such an excellent post. I hope you are able to share your experience with us. One thing I should have stressed was the outstanding staff you will encounter on O, from top to bottom. I could never say enough good about them! Enjoy!

For what it's worth, this is something you hear from fans of many cruise lines.  Long time HAL fans have long heralded the crew on that line (mostly Indonesian and Filipino).  Crystal fans generally loved their crew.  Those of us who have cruised Seabourn have also thought the crew to be amazing (I used to post that Seabourn crew do not have the word "no" in their vocabulary).

One other thought.  While we pooh poohed this idea that cruise lines all declined due to the Covid shutdown, the loss of many long-time crew members (on every line) has certainly taken a toll.  This again takes me back to the new Explora Journeys Line and their first ship (EJ1).  Just over 80% of their crew (in passenger areas) were on their first cruise contract during our cruise :).  That company decided to recruit most of their staff from high-end luxury resorts (many in Dubai).  It was interesting interacting with many of these first-time cruising staff who truly understood service and luxury without having adapted to the culture of working on a ship.  More than a few told us they would not work anymore contracts simply because they were homesick (and sometimes seasick).   One EJ management person (visiting from the home office in Geneva) told me hiring these resort folks was no accident.  The new line wants to create a new culture of a floating-resort rather than a cruise ship.

Hank

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Hlitner said:

For what it's worth, this is something you hear from fans of many cruise lines.  Long time HAL fans have long heralded the crew on that line (mostly Indonesian and Filipino).  Crystal fans generally loved their crew.  Those of us who have cruised Seabourn have also thought the crew to be amazing (I used to post that Seabourn crew do not have the word "no" in their vocabulary).

One other thought.  While we pooh poohed this idea that cruise lines all declined due to the Covid shutdown, the loss of many long-time crew members (on every line) has certainly taken a toll.  This again takes me back to the new Explora Journeys Line and their first ship (EJ1).  Just over 80% of their crew (in passenger areas) were on their first cruise contract during our cruise :).  That company decided to recruit most of their staff from high-end luxury resorts (many in Dubai).  It was interesting interacting with many of these first-time cruising staff who truly understood service and luxury without having adapted to the culture of working on a ship.  More than a few told us they would not work anymore contracts simply because they were homesick (and sometimes seasick).   One EJ management person (visiting from the home office in Geneva) told me hiring these resort folks was no accident.  The new line wants to create a new culture of a floating-resort rather than a cruise ship.

Hank

Really interesting observations about ‘hotel’ staff working at ‘sea’!

36 minutes ago, pinotlover said:

I agree! Thank you for mentioning the skipped ports.

• Like 1

Just now, mamaclark said:

I agree! Thank you for mentioning the skipped ports.

Strangely enough we have a cruise booked for September 24 on the Riviera. We booked in mid January and the cruise ports had already been changed … we gut an extra port day!

• Like 1

17 hours ago, mamaclark said:

Since booking I continue to monitor reviews for Oceania and I am staggered by the number of mediocre and downright bad reviews on the food.

I listen to a comedy radio station when I want to unwind and heard a joke that could be applied to the cruisecritic boards:

A group of cruisecritic posters were having lunch at a restaurant.  At the end of the meal the waiter asked them, “Was anything ok?”  I suspect this was funnier when it was told then it is in writing.

• Like 2
  • Haha 6