How to keep meds cold when in studio cabin

I'm in a studio cabin on the Prima for the first leg of my B2B cruises.  Have a small vial of meds that needs to be kept chilled. Does anyone know if they have small chillers available or another way to keep meds cold?  Would I need to contact someone prior to embarkation?  Thanks

Karen

I don't know if it's so on NCL, but HAL says that its mini-fridges aren't cold enough for medication and instead offer to store them for passengers in the infirmary. 

But also just check your medication. Some things kept cold are actually safe to store for up to several weeks at room temperature.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, itsnotjustme said:

What about ice?

When we travelled and had tiny vials of special eye drops (each little vial was for one application only), we asked the hotel to give us two ice buckets.  We kept one filled with water and ice, and had the little vials in a double ziploc baggie.  I put a few coins in with them to keep it fully submerged.  The extra bucket was to request more ice as needed.

It worked very well.

(Using icepacks/etc., and getting that package through airport security took a lot of extra time, but we were prepared for that.)

GC

22 hours ago, Menocchio said:

I don't know if it's so on NCL, but HAL says that its mini-fridges aren't cold enough for medication and instead offer to store them for passengers in the infirmary. 

But also just check your medication. Some things kept cold are actually safe to store for up to several weeks at room temperature.

Thanks.  I checked the monograph and unopened vials can be stored at room temp for a week.

Posted (edited)
On 3/2/2024 at 11:56 PM, itsnotjustme said:

What about ice?

8 hours ago, KarenRB said:

If the med froze, I'd have to toss it.  That's outside the storage parameters. 

Assuming the freeze point of the med is 32 degrees Fahrenheit or below, ice in water will not get below 32 degrees.  The med won't freeze.   Fill a bucket with ice and water and you would be able to keep it chilled.

Edited by PATRLR

On 3/2/2024 at 11:40 PM, Menocchio said:

I don't know if it's so on NCL, but HAL says that its mini-fridges aren't cold enough for medication 

I'm glad to hear that some lines acknowledge this fact. 

One of the problems (not unique to NCL or even cruise ships) is the refrigerators are enclosed in cabinets that don't allow proper air circulation across the evaporator coils.   We like a chilled beverage and try to leave the cabinet door open - it helps a bit.  

53 minutes ago, D_And_K_gocruising said:

The mini fridge we used on the Escape kept stuff perfectly cold.   /shrug

Same here.  I've never had a problem with the fridge keeping stuff nice and cold.  I guess I've been lucky.  I have seen others say the opposite.  

For those with a similar issue in the future, I contacted the Accessibility Assistance folks listed in the link above (Thanks, Hallux) and got a response in less than 24hrs that there'd be a fridge brought to my room.  Kind of hope it's not the normal-size one since it's a studio but beggars can't be choosers.  I've left myself a note to remember to report back on what they sent.

• Like 1