Victoria, BC evening whale watching tour - when and where can we eat dinner?

mcshane

We are considering the whale-watching tour that lasts from 6-9pm in Victoria on our upcoming Alaska cruise. As far as I can see, the buffet only opens from 6-9.30pm (with a limited selection available after 10pm). I know we will miss MDR opening times. 

Has anyone done this or a similar excursion in the evening? What were your dining options? Thanks! 

Which Ship ---  and what time does the ship depart

The OVC has dinner until 9:30 PM and then shifts to Snacks until 10:00.   After that they shift to Late Night between 10-1AM.     The snack area is limited and after 10:00 mostly Pizza and a couple other items.

I  would check out the selection at the late hours foods and if not acceptable  Either grab dinner ashore before the ship departs at midnight (I believe that is when they depart Victoria on Edge). 

Or

Order Room Service... 

Sometime the adage of "Beggar's cant be choosers" rings true.

4 hours ago, mcshane said:

We are considering the whale-watching tour that lasts from 6-9pm in Victoria on our upcoming Alaska cruise. As far as I can see, the buffet only opens from 6-9.30pm (with a limited selection available after 10pm). I know we will miss MDR opening times. 

Has anyone done this or a similar excursion in the evening? What were your dining options? Thanks! 

For our cruise, the OceanView was open late for us. We got back around 10:15 pm.   I believe it was serving main dishes  such as meat carving, etc.  until 11 pm.  

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Jim_Iain said:

Which Ship ---  and what time does the ship depart

The OVC has dinner until 9:30 PM and then shifts to Snacks until 10:00.   After that they shift to Late Night between 10-1AM.     The snack area is limited and after 10:00 mostly Pizza and a couple other items.

I  would check out the selection at the late hours foods and if not acceptable  Either grab dinner ashore before the ship departs at midnight (I believe that is when they depart Victoria on Edge). 

Or

Order Room Service... 

Sometime the adage of "Beggar's cant be choosers" rings true.

Ships almost always depart just before midnight.  Our tour ended at the pier which is a 30 minute walk (1/2 mile) to downtown.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Arizona Wildcat said:

Ships almost always depart just before midnight.  Our tour ended at the pier which is a 30 minute walk (1/2 mile) to downtown.

I guess if OP is hungry and can't find what they want on the ship will have to make that determination. 

Maybe I'm a faster walker but I walk a 18 minute mile on my daily 10 mile walk every day.   Usually complete it in in 3 1/2 hours including my 1/2 hour Starbucks stop.   Iain doesn't walk with me but he wears me out and usually walk about a 15 minute mile. 

If you aren't a speed walker, or perhaps have mobility limitations, Victoria has both taxis and uber. Its slightly over 2 km to get down to the base of the inner harbour where there are a plethora of pubs and restaurants. There are some casual places even closer. No reason to go hungry or just make do with ship pizza.

On 3/3/2024 at 3:54 PM, mcshane said:

From someone who has cruised in Alaska and had an excursion in Vancouver, the Oceanview remained open with main course items when we returned after 10 pm.   Also, last week in the Caribbean, when our ship left in the evening, the Oceanview was fully open well into the evening past the normal closing.  There was pork roast, mashed potatoes, and dishes from various countries.  

• Like 1