What time to check in if we want to bring our bags directly to our cabin

I've searched the forum and there are a lot of threads about checking in early and how early passengers can arrive at the port and/or embark on their cruise.  For our upcoming cruise (TA) we're really in no rush.   We live about 45 minutes from the port and due to the number of sea days, we really don't see the need to rush and it would be great to just check-in and make our way to our stateroom with our bags (we plan to carry on). 

Since we're not looking to get on board early, do I still need to get up at midnight on check-in day to secure the last arrival window.  Or is the check-in "rush" just for those folks wanting to board early?  And, am I okay thinking that if we do arrive at the port between 2 and 2:30 p.m. that we'll be able to go directly to our stateroom?  

Cabins open by 1:30, sometimes even 1 pm. .. if they arent open by 1:30 pm probably something has gone wrong with boarding. You could arrive 1 ish and by the time you board and get to your cabin, they will be open.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)

If you plan carry on only, then you should be OK.  But keep in mind that port security is similar to airport security and the bag sizes that can go through the screeners can't exceed carry on size.  So if anything you have is larger they will not get through security and you will have to check them at the pier.

Also the app check in isn't like trying to check in with Southwest Airlines - you don't need to jump to click on the boarding times at midnight. There are plenty of time slots that accept hundreds of passengers each to accommodate all of the passengers.  You will be able to get your preferred, or certainly a desirable, timeslot without rushing. 

Lastly in terms of arrival time, I would not press it too late as you must be on board 90 minutes prior to the scheduled departure time.  So plan your late arrival time accordingly.

Edited by leaveitallbehind
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, leaveitallbehind said:

If you plan carry on only, then you should be OK.  But keep in mind that port security is similar to airport security and the bag sizes that can go through the screeners can't exceed carry on size.  So if anything you have is larger they will not get through security and you will have to check them at the pier.

Also the app check in isn't like trying to check in with Southwest Airlines - you don't need to jump to click on the boarding times at midnight. There are plenty of time slots that accept hundreds of passengers each to accommodate all of the passengers.  You will be able to get your preferred, or certainly a desirable, timeslot without rushing. 

Lastly in terms of arrival time, I would not press it too late as you must be on board 90 minutes prior to the scheduled departure time.  So plan your late arrival time accordingly.

Thanks for the reply.  Yes, we would definitely arrive on the early end of the last time slot, not wishing to push our luck.  You never know what could happen on I-95....  Good to know too that I don't have to get up at midnight just to check in.  

As far as the bags, we were planning on medium sized luggage that you'd normally have to check for an airline, but not a monster sized bag.    I think the bags are 24" bags, just slightly larger than a check on.  I thought I read online that at Port Everglades that a slightly larger than 22" bag wouldn't be a problem.   Do you think that this sized bag will be an issue?

Posted (edited)
21 minutes ago, Joe33472 said:

As far as the bags, we were planning on medium sized luggage that you'd normally have to check for an airline, but not a monster sized bag.    I think the bags are 24" bags, just slightly larger than a check on.  I thought I read online that at Port Everglades that a slightly larger than 22" bag wouldn't be a problem.   Do you think that this sized bag will be an issue?

I would be a little concerned with mid-sized bags, but the worst case scenario is, as mentioned, you would have to check it at the pier.

Edited by leaveitallbehind

2 hours ago, Joe33472 said:

I've searched the forum and there are a lot of threads about checking in early and how early passengers can arrive at the port and/or embark on their cruise.  For our upcoming cruise (TA) we're really in no rush.   We live about 45 minutes from the port and due to the number of sea days, we really don't see the need to rush and it would be great to just check-in and make our way to our stateroom with our bags (we plan to carry on). 

Since we're not looking to get on board early, do I still need to get up at midnight on check-in day to secure the last arrival window.  Or is the check-in "rush" just for those folks wanting to board early?  And, am I okay thinking that if we do arrive at the port between 2 and 2:30 p.m. that we'll be able to go directly to our stateroom?  

I live close to the south Florida ports. I select my boarding time the following day and always find the 1-1:30 boarding time that I like to be available. Later times are always available also. I usually am parked around 1pm and watch the safety video in my car and head to check-in around 1:15 or so. Once onboard I go to my muster station and then to my room. Room has always been ready on my last 6 cruises.

5 minutes ago, RJ257 said:

Room has always been ready on my last 6 cruises.

I don't disagree, but I think the OP wants to carry on their luggage to have it with them when they go to the room, rather than wait for it to be delivered later.

4 minutes ago, leaveitallbehind said:

I don't disagree, but I think the OP wants to carry on their luggage to have it with them when they go to the room, rather than wait for it to be delivered later.

I always carry my own luggage. An airline carry-on size suitcase (22x14x9 or a little bigger ) and a backpack.

2 hours ago, Joe33472 said:

Thanks for the reply.  Yes, we would definitely arrive on the early end of the last time slot, not wishing to push our luck.  You never know what could happen on I-95....  Good to know too that I don't have to get up at midnight just to check in.  

We've carried on our bags many times and never had a problem with the size of the scanners. We were stopped once when embarking in Barcelona, and were told outside that we had to leave our large bags with the porters. I think they would have fit OK, but the policy there was to stop anything above airline sized carry-ons.

Our largest bag is considered a medium-sized checked back, that's 27x19x10. There are large checked bags that I agree would not fit through the scanners.

• Thanks 2

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, norm@nh said:

We've carried on our bags many times and never had a problem with the size of the scanners. We were stopped once when embarking in Barcelona, and were told outside that we had to leave our large bags with the porters. I think they would have fit OK, but the policy there was to stop anything above airline sized carry-ons.

Our largest bag is considered a medium-sized checked back, that's 27x19x10. There are large checked bags that I agree would not fit through the scanners.

Thank you for this information.   I thought I read somewhere that medium sized bags usually are not an issue with the size of the x-ray machine, so it's great to hear that you haven't had a problem (except for Barcelona).   Our bags are about the size as your largest, maybe a little smaller, but not too much smaller.  Thanks again!

Edited by Joe33472