Tipping

Thank you all so much.  I've only cruised "mass market" lines before where tips are not necessary, but are expected at the end of the trip.  Really looking forward to Regent.

12 hours ago, kcl491 said:

Thank you all so much.  I've only cruised "mass market" lines before where tips are not necessary, but are expected at the end of the trip.  Really looking forward to Regent.

You can move "refundable OBC" into the crew fund from your account.

This was our first Regent cruise. We just got off of Splendor.  We tipped our room stewards generously and they were VERY appreciative.  We also gave a few dollars here and there to bar/dining staff just because that is what we are used to doing on other lines.  One of the dining staff gave us a look as though he felt shorted but for the most part, tips were warmly received.

3 minutes ago, kevingastreich said:

This was our first Regent cruise. We just got off of Splendor.  We tipped our room stewards generously and they were VERY appreciative.  We also gave a few dollars here and there to bar/dining staff just because that is what we are used to doing on other lines.  One of the dining staff gave us a look as though he felt shorted but for the most part, tips were warmly received.

Well done! Thanks for sharing with us.

1 hour ago, kevingastreich said:

If you put any gift in a sealed envelope and hand them out discreetly, you can minimize the chance of any issues with optional tipping. Also, mentioning crew by name on the mid-cruise survey or end-cruise survey helps their careers. You can also donate to the crew fund. 

• Like 7

6 hours ago, kevingastreich said:

On our Seabourn cruises I give generously to the crew welfare fund and to our stewardesses if they have gone above expectations. I also don't get our stewardesses to do our room every day and give them time off. 

My question is since we won't tip bar/dining staff etc what is the likely reaction? Will they hover nearby waiting? This is making me nervous for our upcoming Regent cruise.

47 minutes ago, frantic36 said:

On our Seabourn cruises I give generously to the crew welfare fund and to our stewardesses if they have gone above expectations. I also don't get our stewardesses to do our room every day and give them time off. 

My question is since we won't tip bar/dining staff etc what is the likely reaction? Will they hover nearby waiting? This is making me nervous for our upcoming Regent cruise.

I have over 700 nights on Regent; have never tipped; and continue to get fantastic service.  I know all bar staff extremely well and over 150 nights with a number of the bartenders.  Great service at all times and never the expectation of a tip.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, mrlevin said:

I have over 700 nights on Regent; have never tipped; and continue to get fantastic service.  I know all bar staff extremely well and over 150 nights with a number of the bartenders.  Great service at all times and never the expectation of a tip.

Agree 100% - you have nothing to be concerned over. I am at 500 and have booked over 5,000 and never heard a negative reaction from a crew member about a tip. The staff is Regent's greatest asset, they are utterly incredible.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

frantic36:  

You are Way-way overthinking this.  Echo, and double-double down on Pcardad's Post. His is the consistent Voice of common sense and experience.  

Am violating my self-imposed prohibition of several years not to comment further on Regent Threads or Roll Calls as to "Tipping".  But--

Been w/Raddison/Regent for 20+years. On all ships other than Grandeur--which we will board in early January 2025.  

Your cruise fare--which is certainly significant--includes amenities such as daily payments to Staff--from Suite Attendants/Butlers to Restaurant Staff; to Bar Staff; to whatever Staff.  

We have NEVER experienced any second-glances from any Staff--at any service level--as to providing, or NOT providing a Tip. 

We have contributed to the Crew Fund--as Pcardad suggested--on several occasions.  

Just enjoy your cruise, without guilt.  

GOARMY

• Like 5

I really think the Crew Fund is the way to go.  To donate - go to the Reception Desk and give them the money.

The Crew Fund benefits all the crew including the "hidden" ones without whose hard work you wouldn't be cruising!  Laundry staff, dishwashers, cooks, engine room staff - all of them.

• Like 6

I have never felt any need to tip on Regent. 
I find that verbally expressing my appreciation for the excellent service we receive always brings a sincere smile to the face of the staff member and an equally sincere “my pleasure “. 
I try to go out of my way to compliment staff for what is, almost always, outstanding service. 

• Like 1

KenzSailing:

"Once and for All".

It is a completion devoutly to be wished (apologies to Shakespeare).  

But, just as you wait--

Within the next few-days, there will be a New Post on this topic which, as related to Regent, has been beaten to--demise.  

To all--simply enjoy your cruise segment. You have ALREDY paid for it.  

GOARMY

• Like 4

On 9/16/2024 at 4:18 PM, frantic36 said:

I am a Regent convert after sailing many years on Seabourn.  The Regent staff do not expect tips and I’ve never seen them hovering.   I do mention their names in the mid-cruise comment cards and many times receive a personal thank you from

the aforementioned crew.  
I do not tip anyone but do donate to the crew welfare fund. 
I hope you enjoy your Regent!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, OilPainter2020 said:

I am a Regent convert after sailing many years on Seabourn.  The Regent staff do not expect tips and I’ve never seen them hovering.   I do mention their names in the mid-cruise comment cards and many times receive a personal thank you from

the aforementioned crew.  
I do not tip anyone but do donate to the crew welfare fund. 
I hope you enjoy your Regent!

Thanks for the reassurance from you and others. What you do is exactly what I do on Seabourn. My husband and I are currently on Seabourn Odyssey doing her final sailing and the crew have been wonderful. I have done one comment report mentioning various staff on the Source App and you have reminded me to do another before the cruise ends in four days. We are doing the Japan section now having had 2 days in Kushiro and enjoyed going out for lunch and dinner there. 

We are looking forward to our Regent experience in Japan in a few weeks.

Julie

On 9/19/2024 at 1:39 AM, GOARMY said:

To All:  

Too late to edit my last Post. So--

Apologize to The Bard for misspelling Contemplation . . . as devoutly to be wished. 

GOARMY

Meh....the man's been dead for over four centuries.  He won't mind! 😉