Tipping

It will be my first time on Regent.

I’m not American (where “tipping” is expected and I fully accept that because wages are lower: no offence intended).

So what should I do onboard ?
Thanks in appreciation of valued advice by experienced Regent guests.

All tips onboard are included in your fare. You should tip non-Regent personnel, such as tour guides and drivers.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, ho-hum said:

I’m not American (where “tipping” is expected and I fully accept that because wages are lower: no offence intended).

Tips are included in your fare and are not expected. If you chose to do something for the crew you might consider the following...

1. Mention them by name in the end-of-cruise feedback form - this helps them with pay increases and promotions.
2. Donate to the crew fund - this helps subsidize departmental funded parties in the crew bar as well as excursion tickets for the crew.
3. If you decide leave an additional tip, please do so discretely, at the end of the cruise, and seal it in an envelope (available at Guest Services). 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, ho-hum said:

Zero need to tip.  One of the reasons for sailing an all-inclusive line like Regent is not having to worry about tipping.  It’s all taken care of so no need to give it a second thought.  

Do keep in mind that it’s a different ball-game once you step off the ship, and also if you buy a spa service onboard a tip will be expected there. The Spa is a concession and not run by Regent itself.  

• Thanks 1

Appreciated eroller.

The future Regent voyage is expensive so I wondered whether tipping was expected too or would be included as you clarified

It  is also by far the largest vessel I have ever been on so I am assuming it wouldn’t feel that personal hence there would be less of a relationship to personnel and a subsequent inclination to tip.

However if I am contact regularly with personnel (say housekeeper and butler) then I would tip.

Pcardad’s suggestion of donating to the Crew Fund is an excellent and obvious suggestion and will be done assuming service is good and why wouldn’t it be (my attraction to Regent was the reputation it has).

@Pcardad's highlight of the crew fund is excellent, as is the reminder of other ways of acknowledging excellent, personal service such as mentions on feedback forms and in conversations wtih senior officers.  The impact of heartfelt acknowledgement and appreciation in the form of a sincere "thank you" should not be underestimated, particularly to those members of staff quietly going about their work in far flung corners of the ship (cleaners, deck crew, security staff et al) whose hard work is easily overlooked.  Every member of staff wears an id badge, which makes it relatively easy to address them by name too.

• Like 3

Dear Gilly,

Funny you mention that, I have just had made a whole "bunch" of THANKYOU CARDS: I get through so many !

I once sent a Dessert Chef a written note thanking him for his array of dishes: subsequently we did a "Kitchen Tour" and lo and behold there was my note pinned to a board !

Ever since then, I write THANKYOU CARDS: some say "compulsively" !

We are on the "same page" on that item.

....... and THANKYOU for your post Gilly.

I hope there are nice guests like you all on Regent ...... and why shouldn't there be !

PS....sorry its upside down

IMG_0216.jpg

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

I completely agree with Pcardad on providing a positive comment regarding specific staff members in your end of cruise survey.  Also remember the mid cruise survey.  I complemented a crew member for some excellent help given in LaVeranda in the mid cruise survey.  Two days later the supervisor of that crew member  found us at lunch and thanked us for the comment and saying it will help him to get a raise or promotion for the crew member.

• Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, mj_holiday said:

I completely agree with Pcardad on providing a positive comment regarding specific staff members in your end of cruise survey.  Also remember the mid cruise survey.  I complemented a crew member for some excellent help given in LaVeranda in the mid cruise survey.  Two days later the supervisor of that crew member  found us at lunch and thanked us for the comment and saying it will help him to get a raise or promotion for the crew member.

Commenting really helps them out. I hope my suggestions were taken as only suggestions - this is a topic that is sensitive and no one needs another telling them what to do. Enjoy the trip!!!

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Sorry Pcardad but I agreed with you completely and Gilly’s emphasis on thanking persons completely “synced” with me.

I feel confident now.

May I make an additional request ?

Do you and the wider viewers of this post have any  general TIPS for me ?

As I explained before,I am a “newbie” when it comes to larger vessels.

i am aware that Regent has one of the best reputations BUT to be “forearmed “…….

On several occasions I have had crew members tell me that complementing them by name on the mid cruise and end of cruise surveys is the very best thing that can be done for them.  Those survey comments are a significant factor in promotion decisions. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

I usually tip our butler/room steward at the end of the voyage.  Granted, not necessary or expected but, these guys/gals have NEVER failed to be super friendly and helpful.

Here's an unpopular side of the issue:

We occasionally sail with friends who have always believed in pre-tipping, and this includes everyone they come into contact with.  I don't lecture them about this, but neither do I refuse to attend the extra visits to the specialty restaurants and other favors that are often hard to get.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

I fully concur (tipping butler and housekeeper).

Pre-tipping has its merits BUT I could never do it ……. too darn English !

I did ask a chum who used to be a butler on one of the big, posh ships for advice and he told me to give the butler a pre-tip of half the full tip (the remaining half would be given at the end….obviously) but when this was suggested to my wife she was horrified  !

It just doesn’t feel right.

• Like 1

This is from the Regent website:

"Our onboard staff are happy to deliver a flawless experience at every turn with never an additional gratuity expected, it’s already included in your cruise fare."

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

We will say “thank you” in an envelope at the end of our cruise to those who have looked after us well. Last TA on Splendor, we also brought candy, indigenous to Savannah and handed them,out to room stewards and others. Our steward told us that in her country (?) receiving candy as a gift is treasured.  We will bring more, along with some cash, on on Grandeur cruise in July. 

• Like 1

Dear Gpilon,

Nice thought.

I have done the same but only to crew I know (but never sailed with Regent before so I don’t feel so confident to do so…..well this time).

Posted (edited)
17 hours ago, ho-hum said:

Appreciated eroller.

The future Regent voyage is expensive so I wondered whether tipping was expected too or would be included as you clarified

It  is also by far the largest vessel I have ever been on so I am assuming it wouldn’t feel that personal hence there would be less of a relationship to personnel and a subsequent inclination to tip.

However if I am contact regularly with personnel (say housekeeper and butler) then I would tip.

Pcardad’s suggestion of donating to the Crew Fund is an excellent and obvious suggestion and will be done assuming service is good and why wouldn’t it be (my attraction to Regent was the reputation it has).

Even if you have regular contact with a crew/staff member, no tip is required or expected on Regent.  That includes butlers.  Its all been covered, and as you mention Regent is much more expensive than your average cruise line, and in part because gratuities are included. 

As others have mentioned, a heart felt "thank you", acknowledgement on the surveys, or thank you card goes a long way.  

Americans feel this compulsion to tip even when it's absolutely not required.  Don't feel remotely pressured to fall into this trap.  Enjoy the no-tipping culture on Regent ... it's one thing that sets them apart from the rest. 

Edited by eroller
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, eroller said:

Even if you have regular contact with a crew/staff member, no tip is required or expected on Regent.  That includes butlers.  Its all been covered, and as you mention Regent is much more expensive than your average cruise line, and in part because gratuities are included. 

As others have mentioned, a heart felt "thank you", acknowledgement on the surveys, or thank you card goes a long way.  

Americans feel this compulsion to tip even when it's absolutely not required.  Don't feel remotely pressured to fall into this trap.  Enjoy the no-tipping culture on Regent ... it's one thing that sets them apart from the rest. 

No, we don't.  Now, let's beat this dead horse some more.

Hey, anybody want to discuss dress codes?

• Haha 6

4 minutes ago, KenzSailing said:

No, we don't.  Now, let's beat this dead horse some more.

Hey, anybody want to discuss dress codes?

The thread topic is “tipping”.  Move on if you’re not interested. 

• Like 1

No, nobody should move anyone out. Basically, if you book and pay for a Regent cruise, you have paid your tips. You needn’t pay any more. That is what lux lines provide in their fare. If a cruise line doesn’t, it is not a lux line. But Regent is a lux line. Now, if there is an emergency, and a staff member renders service beyond job description, you might offer a tip. We were in that situation about delayed luggage, and our steward took care of getting our laundry quickly. I offered a tip, and it was declined. I am not sure that Regent service staff will always reject a tip, but they do not expect one — even for service beyond their job description.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

We contribute to the crew fund, helps everyone.  On our Grandeur cruise as we were leaving the last day the butler who honestly had done nothing special at all for us came running after us and when it was clear we were not passing him some $ quickly and abruptly left. Totally different than on our other 2 Regent cruises.  All Inclusive to me means that.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)
42 minutes ago, 2SailingNomads said:

We contribute to the crew fund, helps everyone.  On our Grandeur cruise as we were leaving the last day the butler who honestly had done nothing special at all for us came running after us and when it was clear we were not passing him some $ quickly and abruptly left. Totally different than on our other 2 Regent cruises.  All Inclusive to me means that.

And honestly I think this is the risk when people tip on a non-tipping line.  It then becomes expected and people feel obligated.  It’s a slippery slope.  There are other ways to show appreciation.  

As mentioned earlier, for something extraordinary I can understand.  For just doing your job and even doing it well, the tips are covered.  

As an American where we tip for everything, it’s refreshing not to have to worry about it on a Regent cruise.  

Edited by eroller
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 2

This story of a butler running after disembarking guests on Regent is disgusting. There is a problem with guests from the US who feel that they must tip for everything creating an expectation on Regent.  I hope it doesn’t happen. Tipping in the US has gotten out of control, and has spread into ordinary, mainly self service transactions. When we check out almost anywhere, we are hit with a tip prompt if we use a credit card.  We have needed  to train ourselves to check “0” on those when no personal service was given. We have been on more Regent (fka Radisson) cruises than we can remember. We have never tipped anybody. But we have donated to the crew fund. Beyond that, Regent fares are sufficient to pay the staff sufficient amount. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

12 hours ago, ho-hum said:

It just doesn’t feel right.

Certainly doesn't.  I'm with your wife on this one and feel similarly horrified.  Smacks of buying favours.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1