Tipping

14 minutes ago, Mahogany said:

Does this card include money? 😀And I assume you include the crew member's name somewhere?

Unfortunately no money…. Hum’s person signature is generally considered of more value (yeah right……).

It is addressed to mikeenbob 

• 2 weeks later...

We also ask our Butler/room steward if there is anything we can bring them when we go ashore. Often, they are not able to get off the ship so this is a nice thing we can do.

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...

ROV, that is a good question. All the credits I’ve ever had are non-refundable, and at times have gone to waste. In such a case, I’d like to donate the unused credit to the crew fund, if I could.

5 hours ago, Pcardad said:

Only refundable credits.

With unused obc , I go shopping with the HR officer and she buys what the crew like and they have raffles all the time with the donated items for the crew. It is quite exciting for them

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Thundery said:

With unused obc , I go shopping with the HR officer and she buys what the crew like and they have raffles all the time with the donated items for the crew. It is quite exciting for them

Now that's a good idea 😁

• Thanks 1

Well I don’t know if y’all remember 

but it was Ho-hum who began this post 

and I am coming to the end of my “virgin” voyage 

BTW it has been wonderful …… if you are interested (of course you are or should be)

the top three things about the voyage have been 

1. crew

2. crew

3. crew

so tipping 

I am giving THANKYOU NOTES: 8 in total !

Tips to Butler, H/keeping & 4 wonderful servers (in various proportions).

Thankyou wonderful people for your contributions 

Goodbye

• Like 3

29 minutes ago, ho-hum said:

Well I don’t know if y’all remember 

but it was Ho-hum who began this post 

and I am coming to the end of my “virgin” voyage 

BTW it has been wonderful …… if you are interested (of course you are or should be)

the top three things about the voyage have been 

1. crew

2. crew

3. crew

so tipping 

I am giving THANKYOU NOTES: 8 in total !

Tips to Butler, H/keeping & 4 wonderful servers (in various proportions).

Thankyou wonderful people for your contributions 

Goodbye

oh my goodness…the one and only Ho Hum????  

• Haha 1

Hum still on the run from Sheriff Dan who brought Seadream Yacht Club to its knees….

Tell Hum all about Grandeur.

Great to hear from you 

I don't often jump into the tipping discussions (we don't on Regent) but with the prevalence of tip culture in the US I just wanted to agree with pcardad's suggestion to donate to the crew fund. Although we always tip off the ship, I believe that if Regent says no tipping is necessary, then by God no tipping is necessary.  Pre-tipping?  Hell no - not for me.

Over the last 15 years of cruising on Regent we've spoken with many of the crew members and officers and I agree that the best things you can do are to mention exemplary crew members by name in the surveys (difficult sometimes as there are just so many who are just so darn good), donate to the crew fund if the mood strikes you, and most importantly - treat the crew like human beings!  I've seen too many people be either dismissive or outright hostile to crew, and I find that behavior abhorrent.  I think that being a good person to the crew is a better way to get good service than 'pre-tipping'.  But that's just me.

But you know, these cruises are not inexpensive.  It's easy to spend tens or even hundreds of thousands of dollars for a few weeks or months of relaxation.  So if you want to toss around a few hundred more here or there, knock yourself out.  Doesn't affect me at all.  🙂

• Like 14
  • Thanks 1

Yes, Bill, tipping is out of hand here in the USA. Tip jars are everywhere. And tip prompts appear on credit card checkouts — even in some retail self service transactions where tipping was unheard of a few years ago. And these prompts are above the 10% — 15% rates that I grew up with. I like to cruise Regent, for one thing, it get me out and away from these things.

At the end of the day, I will tip a little extra at the end of the cruise for those who have provided great service.  The reality is that me tipping $100-$200 to the person who has kept my room in top shape is not going to have any impact on my bottom line.  Giving a few bucks to the bartender who has kept me plied with delicious drinks is warranted.  I know this money can have a significant impact in their lives.  We also do little gifts.  When we were on the Explora in December, we brought See's samplers and handed them out to the crew.  They were very grateful and appreciative.  

• Like 1

On 4/8/2024 at 2:51 PM, LvnCruisin said:

Let's just hope it doesn't come to this:

Oh my.png

If a cop let's you off the hook from a speeding ticket and you tip him....I guess it's no longer a bribe...!!  🤪

On 4/8/2024 at 4:35 PM, UUNetBill said:

I don't often jump into the tipping discussions (we don't on Regent) but with the prevalence of tip culture in the US I just wanted to agree with pcardad's suggestion to donate to the crew fund. Although we always tip off the ship, I believe that if Regent says no tipping is necessary, then by God no tipping is necessary.  Pre-tipping?  Hell no - not for me.

Over the last 15 years of cruising on Regent we've spoken with many of the crew members and officers and I agree that the best things you can do are to mention exemplary crew members by name in the surveys (difficult sometimes as there are just so many who are just so darn good), donate to the crew fund if the mood strikes you, and most importantly - treat the crew like human beings!  I've seen too many people be either dismissive or outright hostile to crew, and I find that behavior abhorrent.  I think that being a good person to the crew is a better way to get good service than 'pre-tipping'.  But that's just me.

But you know, these cruises are not inexpensive.  It's easy to spend tens or even hundreds of thousands of dollars for a few weeks or months of relaxation.  So if you want to toss around a few hundred more here or there, knock yourself out.  Doesn't affect me at all.  🙂

Glad you’re in-affected. I will carry on tipping then AND write Thankyou notes (you didn’t mention that in your out-pouring)

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, ho-hum said:

Glad you’re in-affected. I will carry on tipping then AND write Thankyou notes (you didn’t mention that in your out-pouring)

Like I said, knock yourself out.

Oh, and thank you for your reply.  🙂