Sales Volume Very Low?

peder

19 hours ago, Waltershipman said:

Having sailed on both Explora Journeys and recently on Oceania Vista I am able to report that at least on our cruises there was a different passenger demographic. On EJ there were generally older passengers me included in 70s however very active. On O there were a significant larger number of older  passegers some with mobility issues which is not a judgement nor problem just true. One of our table mates on O was a 90 year old man who still worked was very active and an absolute gem. Age is relative.  I prefer nice kind folks of any age.

Am I getting this right?  The passengers on O tend to be older and more suffer mobility issues? Are the O demographics similar to Holland America?

38 minutes ago, mnocket said:

Am I getting this right?  The passengers on O tend to be older and more suffer mobility issues? Are the O demographics similar to Holland America?

Sort of yes passengers on O at least in our case significantly older than EJ with lots of mobility issues on O. It's been many years since we sailed on HAL which at that time had even older passengers than O with even more mobility issues. Ej had a more robust group although many older as well but no visibility mobility issues.

There were some younger passengers on O but not many and it was generally an older group 

Hope that clarifies. Enjoy 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)

My husband and I have booked Explora next year for a Greece itinerary.  We were loyal to Royal for many years (in suites) and then have moved across to MSC YC (just done our 8th, and we love YC) but are keen try a smaller ship and definitely Explorer!  We will both be 60 next year,  Can't wait (not to be 60!!! lol) but for the cruise!! 

Edited by Savblanc1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Posted (edited)

There's a good number of young pax (20s to 40s) on the reportedly 560 pax current short sailing. And a good number of older pax some of which are able but may not be able to handle longer distances.  Certainly a younger average age than longer Holland America cruises and maybe same as a long Ponant one (my only other higher end cruise experience).

Edited by rrrrtt
  • Like 3

Speaking as an older (mid 80s) mobility challenged cruiser I feel the frustration of younger pax when slowed down on gangway. I used to feel that way 

until we got this way. We can still go and do most of the stuff we used to do but it just takes us longer. 
I do agree we feel more comfortable with pax in similar straits. And I think younger pax are perfectly justified in wanting to be around their similar cohort. That’s life.

So we feel more comfortable on Crystal than Explora.  

• Like 2

Posted (edited)
18 hours ago, rrrrtt said:

There's a good number of young pax (20s to 40s) on the reportedly 560 pax current short sailing.    

I can confirm that there are many travel agents and influencer guest of Explora on some sailings. I stumbled.into the tail end of a private function. Turns out that there about 150 pax in their 20s and middle age in that meeting.

BTW the guy holding the meeting mentioned...

They had no plans for a loyalty program. A 5% discount was available when booked on a ship. 

Not interested in large groups. Max in his opinion was 20 total.

Then, he mentioned to the influencers that there was one free host room for every 10 paid bookings. And so on.

I was not spying on them!

Edited by HappyInVan
  • Haha 4

We had heard there were going to be a large contingent of travel agents for the segment after Vancouver.  Maybe TA's and so called influencers are their true market. 😁 I know my TA was on for a 5 day cruise several months ago.  

Interesting about the 5% discount, we were on for 18 days and never received anything mentioning it.  On other lines you usually get, more than once, a note in your suite offering an on-board booking discount.  Not sure why they think a loyalty program is a bad idea, I like to obtain perks after spending some amount of $ with a company - unlimited laundry for example on Seabourn.  Discounts on revenue wines, etc.  

• Like 2

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, 2SailingNomads said:

We had heard there were going to be a large contingent of travel agents for the segment after Vancouver.  Maybe TA's and so called influencers are their true market. 😁 I know my TA was on for a 5 day cruise several months ago.  

Interesting about the 5% discount, we were on for 18 days and never received anything mentioning it.  On other lines you usually get, more than once, a note in your suite offering an on-board booking discount.  Not sure why they think a loyalty program is a bad idea, I like to obtain perks after spending some amount of $ with a company - unlimited laundry for example on Seabourn.  Discounts on revenue wines, etc.  

I am currently onboard, and the future cruise consultant confirmed to me that there is a 5% discount for onboard bookings.   Interestingly, the following day when we were having pre-dinner drinks in the Explora Lounge, we overheard a group of travel advisors discussing that there was an additional 5% being offered.  Perhaps that is only for travel types….  Who knows?   I have not attempted to clarify with the onboard consultant as there are no current itineraries that interest me.  

I do find it odd that there has been no promotion of future cruise bookings at all.  

Edited by RJ2002
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)
9 hours ago, 2SailingNomads said:

Not sure why they think a loyalty program is a bad idea,

It costs money to do it right; I think financial realities are setting in now that the second ship is about to launch, and the first has not perhaps delivered the sales volume they planned on.  

9 hours ago, 2SailingNomads said:

Discounts on revenue wines, etc.  

With Seabourn the revenue wines are reasonably priced to begin with, and our loyalty discount often brings the price to similar or less than what we can get retail locally.  Explora’s revenue wine list is a lot more pricey, and they likely need that revenue and won’t cut into it through loyalty or “wine package” discounts.  

Edited by johng75370

41 minutes ago, johng75370 said:

Explora’s revenue wine list is a lot more pricey, and they likely need that revenue and won’t cut into it through loyalty or “wine package” discounts.  

European mentality often features a deep loathing to cut prices as it cheapens the product.  Occasionally you see a slip up which is how I got a Ponant cruise for an unbelievable USD 130 pp of or some such and this current Explora cruise ~USD360 pp pd.   Certainly raise prices closer to cruise date no matter how empty the ship is (at least for this current cruise).

1 hour ago, johng75370 said:

It costs money to do it right; I think financial realities are setting in now that the second ship is about to launch, and the first has not perhaps delivered the sales volume they planned on.  

With Seabourn the revenue wines are reasonably priced to begin with, and our loyalty discount often brings the price to similar or less than what we can get retail locally.  Explora’s revenue wine list is a lot more pricey, and they likely need that revenue and won’t cut into it through loyalty or “wine package” discounts.  

Agree as Diamond members we often find wines at a great value, and knowing the Sommelier can often find you a bottle of 2 or 3 that since low stock they can't put on the list.

• Like 1

On 5/11/2024 at 9:05 AM, HappyInVan said:

I can confirm that there are many travel agents and influencer guest of Explora on some sailings. I stumbled.into the tail end of a private function. Turns out that there about 150 pax in their 20s and middle age in that meeting.

BTW the guy holding the meeting mentioned...

They had no plans for a loyalty program. A 5% discount was available when booked on a ship. 

Not interested in large groups. Max in his opinion was 20 total.

Then, he mentioned to the influencers that there was one free host room for every 10 paid bookings. And so on.

I was not spying on them!

On our December sailing there was a fairly large group of TA's.  We did not like the vibe on the ship. Too much attention being paid to them. It is interesting that the ships are still being filled with them. 

We are not rushing to book another cruise on EJ. Was hoping to be a cheerleader. Much preferred Regent product. Or MSC YC.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2