Sales Volume Very Low?

peder

We just boarded in Honolulu. Our cabin is beautiful and maybe the nicest we have ever had. Last nights dinner was good and enjoyed a Malbec that was complimentary. 
agree that lack of shade around the pools is a problem. Will spend more time on our lovely balcony. No moaners here.🥂

• Like 7

After hearing pax count on this leg would be 310, 600+ or 450 or... I got what I believe is true since the person I got it from would definitely know: 325.  

Great day in Kona today and hit up one of my favorite brew pubs, Kona Brewery, after a few miles walking in the heat for a much needed liquid refreshment.  

Lack of shade is a BIG issue for us, sitting on my deck with a nice couch and shade as I type this.

At dinner @ Marble last night they gave us the wine list that included all the complimentary ones, more than we knew.  Some of the revenue wines are outrageous but others actually not that bad, But dinner, 2nd at Marble was a big disappointment again: apps, soup and veggies / potatoes all fine but steak chewy and full of gristle, will not be going back and the other restaurants have much better steaks, I don't get it.  

On 4/27/2024 at 7:25 PM, 2SailingNomads said:

We boarded in Vancouver and had 290 fellow pax to Honolulu. Have gotten multiple answers as to how many are going back to Vancouver. Will find out more later.  

Have found the food, which is subjective, to be some of the best we have had with over 600 nights of sailing on luxury lines. Love all the bar options.  Crew are extremely friendly.

Dislike limited included spirits options although vodka choices are 2 of the 3 I normally drink. Included wines certainly could be better. Lack of shade on outside decks is a big problem as been noted by others.  Stupid design of switch to turn on the bathroom light outside the bathroom.  No option of course by course room service from one of the restaurants for dinner.

We disembarked in Vancouver (from Los Angeles to Vancouver).  We are seasoned cruisers--having cruised 85 times, ranging from Carnival in our younger days to Silversea, Seabourne, Crystal and Regent in our retired years.

Without a doubt, Explora is now our favorite.  We booked another cruise while on board and I check daily for their new releases.  We intend to take all of the cruises we currently have booked on Silversea and Celebrity, and then concentrate solely on Explora.  That is how impressed we were.

I am amazed at the negative comments about this cruise line.  I cannot imagine how it could get any better.

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, saminina said:

Restaurants in order of least likely to disappoint IME.

Med Yacht

Sakura

Buffet

Fil Rouge

Marble

AGREED although I might switch and place Med Yacht below Fil Rouge thanks

Fil Rouge has been our favorite. We will try Marble tonight and Sakura tomorrow. 
We also signed up for a five course wine pairing lunch in Anthology. 
90 euros pp.

Like most of you we are seasoned cruisers with 68 cruises on 13 different lines.

We are Wowed by Explora 1. In my humble opinion they are better than all the luxury and premium lines we have been on. 
We love our Penthouse cabin and would choose the same again. 
I also don’t understand the complaints from others. Anyone we have spoken to on the ship is gushing with praise. 
I just wish they would do the same Hawaii itinerary next year. 

• Like 5

1 minute ago, maggie.1008 said:

Fil Rouge has been our favorite. We will try Marble tonight and Sakura tomorrow. 
We also signed up for a five course wine pairing lunch in Anthology. 
90 euros pp.

Like most of you we are seasoned cruisers with 68 cruises on 13 different lines.

We are Wowed by Explora 1. In my humble opinion they are better than all the luxury and premium lines we have been on. 
We love our Penthouse cabin and would choose the same again. 
I also don’t understand the complaints from others. Anyone we have spoken to on the ship is gushing with praise. 
I just wish they would do the same Hawaii itinerary next year. 

Fantastic 

The heavy negative on Explora posters have based their opinion mostly from the first three months of operation.  Their opinions are mostly valid, but the need to repeat over and over is a bit puzzling.    All two of them still keep at it.

• Like 7

Since you asked, I am one of them!!  We gushed in the beginning too and still find their bread best on the ocean. The repetitive menus are fine for a week but not for longer cruises. 
Biggest objection is the constant jiggling with prices and excluding many in higher end cabins from this largesse. Constant flow of TAs is annoying. “Influencers” appalling. 
A beautiful ship for sure. Operation falls way short of Crystal. In my humble opinion. 
Now watch me get beaten up again for having an opinion. 

20 minutes ago, Whipsnade said:

"The repetitive menus are fine for a week but not for longer cruises."

That's all they will need.

Given EJ's promotion of, "Multi-generational journeys," and "Family-friendly destination experiences," I don't think they plan on offering the long cruises seen on Regent, Seabourne, and the rest.

MSC is mostly running week-or-less cruises for the same reason: It's easier to get kids, parents, and grandparents coordinated for a week or less.

• Like 1

Precisely, @no1talks. It's ok if Explora isn't for everyone, that doesn't mean it won't work for many.

Just now, Whipsnade said:

Just what I want on a cruise, lots of kids in the pool and dining venues. I will stick with Crystal. 

Dude, it's ok if you're not their target customer.

• Like 11

Posted (edited)
30 minutes ago, Whipsnade said:

Just what I want on a cruise, lots of kids in the pool and dining venues. I will stick with Crystal. 

Not sure what your point is as Crystal has two dedicated kids rooms (designed for different age groups) and they promote generational family holidays particularly during the holidays when they have junior activities directors on board. You’ll experience well behaved and misbehaved children on all lines 

Explora has multiple pools - of which at least one is reserved for adults - Crystal have one pool that’s open to all 

Edited by Stickman1990
  • Like 4

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, no1talks said:

Given EJ's promotion of, "Multi-generational journeys," and "Family-friendly destination experiences," I don't think they plan on offering the long cruises seen on Regent, Seabourne, and the rest

There are some longer cruises offered by Explora - we’re doing a trans Atlantic crossing in 2025 - 16 days and then a 10 day through to Athens - so 26 days with no repeat elements - that works for us, Before someone chips in about dining - no we have zero concerns about the menus not changing during that time - there’s a ton of options on those menus and many items we’d want to repeat over a longer cruise 

Most lines do short cruises is the Med and Caribbean don’t they? Is that really unusual? Typically you can join up 2 or 3 7 day cruises without repeating ports 

Personally I’d like to see them offering a better coverage of the global destinations including Asia - I think that will come as more of the fleet comes online 

Edited by Stickman1990
  • Like 6

17 hours ago, santos949 said:

We disembarked in Vancouver (from Los Angeles to Vancouver).  We are seasoned cruisers--having cruised 85 times, ranging from Carnival in our younger days to Silversea, Seabourne, Crystal and Regent in our retired years.

Without a doubt, Explora is now our favorite.  We booked another cruise while on board and I check daily for their new releases.  We intend to take all of the cruises we currently have booked on Silversea and Celebrity, and then concentrate solely on Explora.  That is how impressed we were.

I am amazed at the negative comments about this cruise line.  I cannot imagine how it could get any better.

No idea why you quoted me, my comments were 90% positive but I do notice things different here than on other luxury lines. Yet to meet the F&B or Hotel Manager or whatever they call themselves here, no on-deck activities, etc.  (Regent, Crystal, Seabourn, Scenic all have those)   Food and service has been very good, but definitely some quirks I am glad you love it and have found your ideal ship.  BTW the correct spelling is Seabourn, or maybe you were on a different line..  

3 hours ago, 2SailingNomads said:

No idea why you quoted me, my comments were 90% positive but I do notice things different here than on other luxury lines. Yet to meet the F&B or Hotel Manager or whatever they call themselves here, no on-deck activities, etc.  (Regent, Crystal, Seabourn, Scenic all have those)   Food and service has been very good, but definitely some quirks I am glad you love it and have found your ideal ship.  BTW the correct spelling is Seabourn, or maybe you were on a different line..  

I quoted you because your comments were so positive and your views seem to align with mine.  No offense intended... 

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

If you haven't met the top layers of management, then you are having a successful cruise.  It's a different management style.  One that I prefer.  We met F&B man first day of last trip because he stopped and introduced himself for no particular reason and did not mention his title.  We had a slight issue that would come under a different department.   15 minutes later, all was resolved.   I'm betting he is now hotel manager on II.

We could all write volumes about hotel managers and their style.  Or, lack thereof.  I'm happiest knowing an Austrian is running the hotel department.  Doesn't mean I need to meet him.  But chances are he knows we are on board.  You, too.

Edited by saminina
  • Like 3

I’ve noticed several comments about how things are different on Explora than on other lines.  Isn’t that exactly what MSC wanted to achieve - an alternative experience to the competition?   

• Like 5

20 hours ago, saminina said:

The heavy negative on Explora posters have based their opinion mostly from the first three months of operation.  Their opinions are mostly valid, but the need to repeat over and over is a bit puzzling.    All two of them still keep at it.

Since you asked same here.  This is cruise critic and I see the same persons espousing the virtues (and there is nothing wrong with that) -- just don't complain about those who do not think everything is rosy and that there are better lines than Explora Journeys.  

I would expect to see more issues later in the year when they bring Explora 2 on line and move significant Explora 1 crew there.  I hope they do not do the same TA/Influencer nonsense on Explora II.  That is really a downside as many were obnoxious.

Still we will cruise again on Explora II in January.

• Like 5

I have not seen one child on this cruise. The worst behavior with children was on Silver Seas. Parents no where around and the nanny sitting at the pool bar . The two children were screaming and annoying everyone around the pool. 

• Like 2

22 hours ago, Stickman1990 said:

Explora has multiple pools - of which at least one is reserved for adults

But it is rarely open for use due to poor design that floods the surrounding area.

• Like 1

Wow.  Just ran across this thread and was surprised at the comments.  We absolutely loved our time on the Explora.  Is it the perfect ship?  No.  But I would suggest after sailing Regent, Oceania, Viking, Atlas, and suite-level on the four largest cruise lines that no ship gets it right all the time.  

However, we thought there were many, many things that Explora gets right.  

1.  The huge number of pools and hot tubs are almost comical.  I get the point of limited shade at some of the pools, but there seemed to be more than enough shaded areas in other pool areas.

2.  The Food.  Superior than our cruise on the Regent Splendor and the Oceania Marina by a mile. The Emporium Market place also is easily the very best buffet at sea compared to the ships we've sailed.  

3.  Cabins.  When the basic veranda is the nicer than of the Concierge Suite on the Splendor (which is also nice), what's to complain about?

I'll also note that the Captain was probably the best captain I've ever sailed with .  DW and I are both retired Army Officers and were on-board during the ship's safety drill.  We watched as she (the Captain) went by each station talking to the crew members and getting their feedback then giving selected crew members praise in here public announcement address closing the drill.  That and other things we saw made it clear that she is one of the coveted terms in the military:  A Leader. 

As a result, crew on the ship are happy.  In one-on-one conversations they confessed to us they loved the leadership on the ship as well as the perks (like free wifi) that they get.  We always believe that a happy crew makes for a happy ship which translates to a great cruise--which is what we had.

I would imagine that the reason why their itinerary has so many 7-day sailings is due to only having one ship and trying to get more passengers to try the line.  I would imagine that there are more people who would give a cruise line at this price point a try for 7 days than committing to a 3-week or more journey.  As the additional ships join the fleet, I would expect for the itineraries to become more diverse in location and duration.

May two cents...

Your mileage may vary...

• Like 7
  • Thanks 2